Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 19:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

I have also heard a lot about these, but never got into anything.

Always remember "There is no easy money"
Old 4th April 2009, 23:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

If you don't want to loose your friends/strain your relations then please don't go for this stupid venture. Most of these high-claims are just hogwash. And when they tell you that you'll earn loads and loads of money by doing this then just ask them why they are still hanging on to their day jobs if this business pay them so well. They won't have any answer or they'll try to evade the question with some un-realistic answers.
I'm so sick of their way of marketing MLM that even if the product is good(some are good it seems) I'm never gonna buy it (OK, I may buy something if I get in a retail shop, but that's not possible as it's against their business model).
A generic Modus operandi is as follows. First they'll catch you anywhere, believe me, anywhere(My experience was once in a train, at Forum and even once at roadside chat house.). Then they'll try to be friendly with you (as if you are some long lost friend). Then they'll ask your number. Once your number has gone out then you are doomed. They'll eat your head till you go for their presentations or change your number or probably change your address itself( incase you're the unluckiest one to give away home address). But nowadays I think they are getting little better and a firm "NO" does work most of the time.
And about someone saying about Hard work part, can you please tell me where and how can someone earn money without doing any hard-work? Sorry mate, that line won't make a cut here.
So the bottom-line is that, Stay off of this venture. That's my opinion and it's up to you to take it or leave it.
Old 5th April 2009, 02:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Amway is the only exception I think. Although they started off in India as a 100% MLM company, now the strategy has been hugely changed, could be as the demand of time. Which other MLM have you seen promoted on TV through commercial ads ? I cant recall any. MLMs usually dont depend on any other publicity than word of mouth.
This is primarily because of all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.

Since people in India generally have a negative perception of MLM's, therefore Amway is trying to change that by advertising. The intention is to project themselves as a "clean" company that "cares".

And trust me, the company has had immediate positive effects, both in terms of the talent the company is able to attract at the corporate level as well as in the MLM chain.
Old 5th April 2009, 10:38   #34
PVS
BHPian

Well, I was into Amway circa 2001, quit 2002. Their training system is good, their products are good, and if you seriously believe that you can make money here, you will. It is painfull, there is work involved - you need to constantly build your downlines, keep up the PV consistently, and invest in education by listening to 1 motivational tape a day, and reading motivational books.

Of course, you may end up losing your friends on the way, but then if you need to make money, you will make it, if you follow the system.
Old 5th April 2009, 14:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Of course, you may end up losing your friends on the way, but then if you need to make money, you will make it, if you follow the system.
Well, if you think that few thousands of rupees matter more then your friends then may God help you.
And as I said before, if you want to make money (legal way) there is always hard work involved in the process, so saying that hard work needed to make money in amway doesn't make it any different.
And about motivational books/taps and all, I'm unable to understand that if you are passionate about your work (i.e Amway business) then why you need to have a daily dose of motivation? That itself means that the main motivation (i.e. earning money) itself is not there, or maybe that remains as mirage only for most of the Amway people.
After office hours you come home and again slog to run this business(basically run after people) then where is your life? Is earning some extra money (couple of thousands most of the cases) has become so important that you are willing to sacrifice everything, i.e. your friends, relatives and above all your life? This may be, I'm saying may be, work out for people without a day job i.e house-wives et.al.
Regards,
Old 5th April 2009, 15:20   #36
Team-BHP Support

No matter how much rationalization is done, there is no masking that fact that Amway or similar MLM businesses exploit and destroy every relationship. I remember how in the 90s we used to avoid Amway people like plague.

Once while visiting the ISKCON HQ in Wheeling (West Virgina), one couple spoke to us very enthusiastically. His over-friendliness caused me to ask whether he is from Amway. He was taken aback and replied in negative. That's what Amway has done to Indian community in USA, one has come to suspect any friendliness from desi strangers. Now there are lot more such MLM schemes, it is difficult to detect the MLM scheme because of all the camouflage.

I've attended couple of these meetings and met these strangely friendly people whose enthusiasm could be suffocating. They call all the working people as losers. I used to ask them, if everybody starts selling Amway products to become successful, who makes the Amway products, who builds the houses you buy from your success, who makes the luxury cars you plan to buy from your success? ...The losers? After this experience and reading some horror stories on the net, I declined to sign up for Amway. My wannabe upline trying all kind of brain-washing to change my mind, showing off his Lexus (while living in a small apartment), future riches, etc.

Success in Amway comes at the cost of other people, one has to be a sadist to derive satisfaction from such success.

Read this more details: Is Amway a Cult? An Analysis

That said, I've heard that in India Amway is following a very different sales strategy. What I have said mostly applies to Amway in USA.
Old 5th April 2009, 15:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No matter how much rationalization is done, there is no masking that fact that Amway or similar MLM businesses exploit and destroy every relationship. I remember how in the 90s we used to avoid Amway people like plague.
Even now it's the same case. People still avoid Amway people like plague. It still detroys relationships. Have seen many many such incidents. My first interaction with an MLM person was really funny. He caught me on a train and then he started giving me all the gyan. That time I didn't know what Amway is and so I listened. Then the funny part came, there was another person sitting next to me. He told me the other side of the story. What they exactly do, modus operandi and the dangerous outcomes (yeah, if it strains some relationship then i think it can be called dangerous). It seems that person's (2nd person) brother has stopped talking to him for years because he didn't yield to Amway. I was taken aback and then I checked about Amway in the net/with friends and found many such cases.

Quote:
Once while visiting the ISKCON HQ in Wheeling (West Virgina), one couple spoke to us very enthusiastically. His over-friendliness caused me to ask whether he is from Amway. He was taken aback and replied in negative. .
Exactly the same happens in India now, whenever some stranger tries to talk to me, the first thing comes to my mind is that the guy is from Amway and I'll be very cautious. And almost 80% of the time that'll be the case.

Quote:
That said, I've heard that in India Amway is following a very different sales strategy. What I have said mostly applies to Amway in USA.
The ground reality is same here in India too. I don't know what different strategy they are taking except the commercials on TV.
Old 11th April 2009, 20:59   #38
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Well, if you think that few thousands of rupees matter more then your friends then may God help you.
And as I said before, if you want to make money (legal way) there is always hard work involved in the process, so saying that hard work needed to make money in amway doesn't make it any different.
And about motivational books/taps and all, I'm unable to understand that if you are passionate about your work (i.e Amway business) then why you need to have a daily dose of motivation?
Kaushik - before I answer this question, or any other observations, let me make 1 point clear - I am not in favor of Amway or any other MLM. I been inside the system(system of Amway training back in 2001, it was called 'BWW') for some time and am now out of it. I have seen both the worlds - the inside one - the world of seminars, tapes, books, PV, uplines & downlines , and the outside one - the regular world.

Why do you need a daily dose of motivation? - Just to make sure that you stay focussed on what your 'need' or 'want' is. To put it simple - the system urges people signing up to focus on why they chose to be in Amway. It urges them to write down their goals, and then work towards achieving them.

Quote:
That itself means that the main motivation (i.e. earning money) itself is not there, or maybe that remains as mirage only for most of the Amway people.
I don't have figures here - but quite a number of people, working single or as a couple have been making money through Amway, in addition to what they are currently into - a job or a business. These people seem motivated for sure.
Quote:
After office hours you come home and again slog to run this business(basically run after people) then where is your life?
Yes, there is hard work involved. After a hectic day at work, you have to come back, get refreshed, and head out to work your business, show the plan or whatever. Yes, you don't have a life, but you have that goal in mind, that If I do this[the Amway business], I will be one step nearer to achieve what I set out to achieve, in the first place.

Quote:
Is earning some extra money (couple of thousands most of the cases) has become so important that you are willing to sacrifice everything, i.e. your friends, relatives and above all your life? This may be, I'm saying may be, work out for people without a day job i.e house-wives et.al.
Answer to the first question depends on your wants and how quickly you want to obtain what you want. And of course, you are at liberty to set your own pace - however, if you have an up-line, who constantly breathes down your neck, it can be a problem. And you can still choose to retain your friendship and relations provided you draw a line - something like - 'hey we have been buddies - Amway or no Amway. Ok, 'n' number of days in a week, I will be busy in my business, but the remaining days, we'll get together - no Amway speak, no PV nothing'. Possible? Well - depends on you, and how important your friendship or relations are, to you.

And yes, a number of people, not housewives alone, have been successfull in the business. And if I am not wrong - not all people join the business for money - some of them do it for time as well.

Its been 8 years since I am out of the system - Am I happy? Yes, I might not have made all that extra money - but I am contented now, and life isn't that bad.
Old 12th April 2009, 18:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

After some experiences at Forum Mall, Big Bazaar etc I am skeptical if a stranger becomes friendly with me. They turned out to be agents of Brits World Wide.

The guy whom I met first gave me a presentation to sell this venture to me. I did not bite it and he had been calling me to make me attend a presentation by his mentor who is in BTM Layout. The mentor told me over phone that Bill Gates would have joined Brits if had not got into software. He was trying to impress me with his theories, which I had enough during my MBA classes.

Sometimes I get calls from strangers who claim to know my friends or acquaintances asking whether I am interested in a great business opportunity. Even a recruitment consultant gave my number to his friend.

An old friend called to ask whether I would like to join her husband working for IT in a great business venture. I guessed it right - Brits World Wide. Then she requested me to give phone numbers of my well off friends to her.

I just hate this!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 12th April 2009 at 18:15.
Old 14th February 2010, 00:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any update on this thread especially Amway! Please update your experience here

Let me share mine

Today, one of my relative was explaining me about Amway product and said they have good quality daily use products etc.

He showed me list of some daily use products like some 25 rupee soap,17 rupee brush 100 rupee paste etc. which are better than normal ones we use and proven by some xyz laboratory

I said big YAWN and told, i will buy a 25 rupees Colgate or Vicco tooth paste which is well know in india for so many decades rather than buying some unproven tooth paste for 100 rupees!

He told me, don't worry once you buy this you will earn points etc. After 6 or 8 months down the line you will start getting money automatically! He started telling about guys who joined some xyz years back and have BMW 7 series , some one else getting XYZ money from AMWAY etc. ad. Apparently Amway had 1,500 crore turn over last year in India!

i was reading an remapped Skoda 1.8 TSI report here, he comes again and says "have you decided to only read these or ever buy one of these" I found more marketing attempt here and said "no, i am a happy car enthusiast. what if I dont buy one of these in life , i am happy reading about these"

This guy was very confident who has just finished engineering, said I will buy Skoda in couple of years!. i told, okay all the best, give me a TD when you buy. May be i can acompany you for frequent visits to Skoda A.S.S

i told a bigger YAAAWN to him and came here to search this AMWAY on team bhp and found this thread

I remember one of my colleague who swiped 30K in credit card to pay for some MLM scheme introduced to him by other collegue! while the other guy made some good money, person who paid 30K dint get any thing!

While I agree that Amway is better than other MLMs but i feel its not for all.
As one of over fellow BHP-ian said here, its for people who want MONEY and MONEY and more MONEY and loose good friends in the name of money!

Last edited by recshenoy : 14th February 2010 at 00:40.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Request to Amway guys...Stay clear of me

There are just 3 things which I want to tell the Amway guys:

1. If you have been brain washed into using Rs 100+ toothpaste then that does not mean everyone will use it. I am happy with my plain Colgate.

2. Stop saying that you want to talk to me, It has been long time since we met and then at end of meeting trying to sneak up some products on me. If I take it it means I am doing it because you are a friend. After this you wont be my friend!!

3. Stop pestering me. I am not intrested in that silly scheme.

Fresh being stung by a Amway operative (so called (now used to be) friend to whom I could not say no) yesterday all I want to say.....I hate you Amway, I hate you Amway mafia. Burn in H**.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 08:56   #42
BHPian

QVI Club Membership - Is it worth it?

Dear BHPians,

Recently, i was introduced by my friend to a Direct selling (MLM) model of business named QNet (Previously known as Quest International). I was told that i have a spread of business' that i can pitch in and start the MLM. one of which interested me was the QVI Club membership. Though i am not sure about the business that follows this product purchase, this product was like it is worth it.

QVI Club has these holiday packages, which i thought is worth it for the spread of resorts that they have across the globe. when i handpicked few resorts and enquired with them if they have tie ups with QVI club, they have confirmed it.

Just want my dear BHPians thoughts on this. before i go ahead with this.

This is their website: Welcome to QVI Club

Please let me know your views
Old 25th July 2012, 14:03   #43
BHPian

Re: QVI Club membership... is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
Dear BHPians,

Recently, i was introduced by my friend to a Direct selling (MLM) model of business named QNet (Previously known as Quest International). I was told that i have a spread of business' that i can pitch in and start the MLM. one of which interested me was the QVI Club membership. Though i am not sure about the business that follows this product purchase, this product was like it is worth it.

QVI Club has these holiday packages, which i thought is worth it for the spread of resorts that they have across the globe. when i handpicked few resorts and enquired with them if they have tie ups with QVI club, they have confirmed it.

Just want my dear BHPians thoughts on this. before i go ahead with this.

This is their website: Welcome to QVI Club

Please let me know your views
Last week one of my friend came to convince me about QNet. Here is some fact finding..

1) Before QNet there was Gold Quest from same company which is resulted into big scam. Your friend will say that it was not company's fault. I got two reasons from two friends both looked unconvincing. I read Gold Quest cheated approx 2,65,000 people for Rs.30,000 each. Imagine this much money is gone outside our country I will do math for you
2,65,000 x 30,000 = Rs.7950000000. Heck I can not read this figure. India has lot of money.

2) QNet is Pyramid Scheme which they will not agree. Pyramid Scheme is not good for country. It pumps money out of country. Some country's have gone bankrupt due to these schemes.

3) They are providing Service to you, like Hotel package which you may use in your future. That is the risk taken by company. Most of Individual Representatives hardly use this service.

4) Come on how can you trust a company which sells products like Amazecua Bio Disc. I hope you do not buy healing pendants or najar surakha kawach from teleshopping. This is same product. Their explanation includes jargons like science and nano technology. Come On...

5) And one more thing, your friend is trying to sell high cost holiday package though they have low cost packages as well. It is minimu Rs.30,000 to become QNet representative. They sell higher priced packages because they get money out of it. I heard you do not need to pay single rupee to become a member. It does not hamper your ability to earn money from chain below. You need to sell higher priced products to get more money.

6) Such schemes are banned in US and Europe, though they tell some representatives are working there as well.

7) Definitely you can make money out of it if you are social person. But these schemes are banned after some time, there are always people who will burn their a**. And number multiplies with each level. You will be responsible for people's suffering due to ban as you grown this tree under you. If you start making member they you are starting a crime which will multiply with each level.

8) You must have heard Ganguly's, Tendulkar's, Richard Branson's name. Come on these people are already great and super capable performers, why do they need such schemes to secure their future? Come On...

9) QNet is banned in Nepal and Shri Lanka as well. In Shri Lanka QNet started it's operation with another name Lotus.

10) Pyramid schemes are illegal in many countries including Albania, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, the Dominican Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

India is not in this list. Neighboring countries like Nepal and Sri-Lanka have done this but not in India.

Interesting reads...
1)Qnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2)Pyramid scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My friend is mad behind this scheme. I never trusted these schemes. I did this research to take out him from this. But you attend their session which is filled of bigger than life Glamor, then brainwash is sure. I feel really pity who fall to this prey. I could not help my friend but..

Last edited by sushantr5 : 25th July 2012 at 14:22.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:35   #44
BHPian

Re: QVI Club membership... is it worth it?

Lets assume everybody makes money out QNet. Everybody has two proper legs, then scenario is like this,
Number of members on each level

By 30th level every citizen of India is member of QNet. On which level you are?
Old 25th July 2012, 16:44   #45
BHPian

Re: QVI Club Membership - Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I could not help my friend but..
Thanks for such a detailed input. Ofcourse it was the holiday package which was more interesting. But looks like I was made to dream about this. What you say makes absolute sense. You said you couldnt help your friend. But looks like now you did.

Thanks a lot sushantr5 for the enlightment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks