Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2016, 17:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Anyone into multi-level marketing ??

The latest i have heard is about a scheme where in they are trying to peddle vacation time shares - Person From Bangalore (Mentor) & Delhi (Friend) trying to brainwash me into it.

Friend was very insistent in spite of my complete refusal to be involved in any of these.

Forced me to meet his Mentor in the guise of just catching up together - A Young Person - Who was very arrogant - (using a script from his training) - Are You Interested In Financial Freedom - (Using EXTREMELY Positive Sounding - Close Ended Questions) - Amazing Opportunity Of A Lifetime - I can share this ONLY If you are Absolutely Interested and COMPLETELY Committed.

I was asking him very specifically if this was a Pyramid - MLM - or like - and i was genuinely not interested

Finally i had to tell him since its so amazing and great - he shouldnt squander it on people like me.

At which point - he was forced to go off his rote - and deigned to share with me - because i was such a good friend of his direct contact.

The scheme was to buy a holiday time share at INR 3.6 lakhs valid for 25 years - the argument being - i anyway will get the benefit of holiday time share even if i do not do anything towards getting more customers - franchisees etc.

At the end of it he was literally begging me to put in at least INR 60K.

I have been hearing of these schemes since 1996 and have been Literally FORCED to attend a few of these Indoctrination Meetings - by - clients, seniors - early on in my career - which i could not refuse.

I now absolutely refuse very politely to any such reference of income or business or partnership.

I spent some time with my friend and during the course of that evening - It was very disheartening to see a lot of young, middle aged and older people come to meet with this mentor and being guiled and swaying on to his every word.

My two paisa on this - work hard - do not mislead and you will get what you are entitled to.
Old 11th December 2016, 23:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: QVI Club Membership - Is it worth it?

Wow! I did not know there was a thread on QNet on TBHP.
So, this afternoon I spent 3 hours with an ex-colleague who had been so far talking to me about his new 'business' and which had got my curiousity up over the last few months.

As with most people, the venue was some cafe - in my case Cafe Coffee Day on FC Road.
When I reached the venue, I could see all the tables were occupied and it was very evident that there was someone trying to sell something on each table (one listener and one speaker).
I knew right there what I was getting into.
QNet has some sort-of connection with Robert Kyosaki since the guys on the other tables were also describing his teachings and how 3% of the people have 97% money.
All that is good and makes sense. But hey, how many of those 3% got money through a MLM (Multi Level Marketing) scheme?

Now, this ex-colleague had some mentor (who visits the city every 15 days) and in this business since 2013 who did most of the talking. He was a good sales guy.

When asked about the products, the holiday package (and how it comapres with Club Mahindra) was discussed. Some 'luxury' brand watches were briefly mentioned, but nothing as such was possible to see.

Figures written on paper were ranging from few lacs to several crores with the promise of working for only 4 years and then leveraging on someone elses time and efforts to get free money for the rest of your life.

I even got all the written sheets sent via email to me, which I think was a nice touch.
I got 24 hours to respond if I would like to join them or not.
Investment needed is minimum Rs. 50000, but I was recommended to put in at least Rs. 1.5 lac or smarter option Rs. 3.5 lac.

Overall, I learnt a few things today, so it was not really a waste of time.

Back at home, did some research on the history, the legal troubles and the products of the company.
It is clear that the guys on top will make the most - the ones at the bottom will get nothing. The difficulty is to predict at which level my friend and his wife is (combined together they claim to have put in Rs. 10 lac).

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th December 2016 at 23:37.
Old 11th December 2016, 23:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anyone into multi-level marketing ??

I am quite a newbie when it comes to my awareness of these MLM schemes in the 'market'.
I posted details on another thread about Qnet

What is a bit concerning is that every Saturday (and Sunday) some of the cafes are being used exclusively for such MLM schemes. I cannot imagine how much money they are raking in from the educated youth of today by selling them a dream.

And what is it with the "German cars" in there?
e.g. "The CxO of (some reputed IT) company is also in this business and he mentioned once After working for 22 years, I could not afford a German car and now after just 2.5 years I am driving a German car."

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th December 2016 at 23:53.
Old 12th December 2016, 22:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Wow! I did not know there was a thread on QNet on TBHP.
So, this afternoon I spent 3 hours with an ex-colleague who had been so far talking to me about his new 'business' and which had got my curiousity up over the last few months.

As with most people, the venue was some cafe - in my case Cafe Coffee Day on FC Road.

QNet has some sort-of connection with Robert Kyosaki since the guys on the other tables were also describing his teachings and how 3% of the people have 97% money.

Back at home, did some research on the history, the legal troubles and the products of the company.
It is clear that the guys on top will make the most - the ones at the bottom will get nothing. The difficulty is to predict at which level my friend and his wife is (combined together they claim to have put in Rs. 10 lac).
Before i start here is a short video by Mr John Oliver:

Is this scam still a thing. They have changed names so many times and just doing the same thing over and over again. Please frankly do not fall into this trap. Save your money unless you want to just keep talking about how good this business is over and over to your friends.

1) Its a MLM marketing scheme, also called a ponzi scheme. They run on throwing big names at you, showing you cheques and how good their life is. If you wanna do the same go ahead. I know a tonne of friends who lost money on it.

2) Mr Robert himself has filed for bankruptcy. http://www.forbes.com/sites/helaineo.../#67be38a817d7

3) The top tier earns money. There is a video which shows where you need to join to make money at. Let me tell you I was asked to join this company in 2007. So run away please.

Maddy

Last edited by maddy42 : 12th December 2016 at 22:06. Reason: Added a link
Old 13th December 2016, 17:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

When asked about the products, the holiday package (and how it comapres with Club Mahindra) was discussed. Some 'luxury' brand watches were briefly mentioned, but nothing as such was possible to see.
Oh boy the old haunt is still being used!

A simple look at their website (while the smooth talker was yapping), aroused enough doubt in my mind when I was being brainwashed years back. When I asked what are the exact products being sold, how, what is the supply chain, margins etc - stuff that a person doing business should be more interested in - I got sheepish grins (obviously the questions were outside the smooth talker's curriculum) with some excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Any organization where the majority of money earned is not because of you selling product or service BUT because of you bringing in more neophyte sellers - is a sure shot hokum.
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anyone into multi-level marketing?

I came across another such scheme recently, known by various names but mostly goes around with the name Socialtrade (https://socialtrade.biz/).
They apparently have this scheme wherein one purchases a "membership" for 57,500 Rupees, and "they" provide various links in your inbox for you to click. In return, you are promised a tidy sum. Ofcourse, referring more members adds to your little kitty of "links" ,which you can click to get more money.
Several people around my company have willingly swallowed this Kool-Aid , and were coaxing me to join as well. I was also shown various whatsapp messages circulated amongst members (current and prospective) , which smacked of the same "XXX has been declared the best YYYY in the world by UNESCO" rhetoric.

Last edited by sajo : 3rd January 2017 at 18:21.
Old 4th January 2017, 18:49   #82
BHPian

Couldn't have come across this thread at a better time. The one I am being regularly coaxed into, is Forever Living products. My friend has fallen hook line and sinker, and every damned conversation has to veer to the topic. After realizing that the typical pitch won't work with me, he's now asking me to try the products at least.

Someone please tell me the products are at least good enough to try, else I'm afraid I'll have to simply stop taking his calls. It's just heart breaking what this brain washing does to ones relationships.
Old 4th January 2017, 19:42   #83
BHPian

I have been tricked into these MLM meets multiple times.
The modus operandi is the same with all the networks. They make you feel desperate and worthless by telling you that you are wasting your time working and then plays an angel by presenting you with the amazing opportunity of making millions by joining in.

Nowadays I do not refuse these invites. I look forward to frustrating them with my questions . I now ask them to pay for my joining fee since he is very sure that I will make money in this.

I know a few friends who made money in the coin business, but then, they are a very few. Most lost their money. Those who made their money were forced into buying luxury cars and fly frequently to create an impression among others that they are indeed doing very well. These did infact lure many juniors of them to join in the scheme.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

I have had several experiences with MLM (Even before I knew what MLM was.

1. Money Grows (oe something like it): A neighbour from the building came over. I was in Junior college then and didn't have any source of income. M=Me, N=Neighbour.
N= I have a very good scheme for you to make money.
M= Really? I don't have any qualifications to do a job and besides I have no intention of dropping out of college.
N= Don't worry, it's part time and we will train you.
M= OK. Tell me more.
N= You just have to invest Rs.5000/-.
M= And then?
N= Nothing. You just have to convince 2 people to become members and then you will start getting returns. Just sit and collect the money.
M= What guarantee that I will get 2 members and how long will it take?
N= Don't worry. You are good in talking, you will get your members within a week or two.
M= OK. Do one thing, I don't have money. Give me a loan of 5K and once I get the returns I will give you 10K.
N= But what is the guarantee that you will be able to make money to repay me and even if you do how long will I have to wait?
M= You just said that I will definitely get my 2 members in 2 weeks and will start making money. So why are you worried.
N= OK. I will let you know tomorrow.

She never turned up.

2. AMWAY: An acquaintance told me about his great business and called me to a restaurant to explain. (He didn't even order a cup of tea. Probably had a deal with them to use the place for a small fee). He said the company was Brit World Wide and associated with famous brands. Once I heard everything I said this sounds very similar to Amway. Only then did he admit it was indeed Amway only that he was selling.

3. RMP Infotech: Same Amway guy. I became a member since I had to buy a Bajaj Allianz policy. I bought it and never bothered to find any members.

4. Gold Coins (Forgot the name): Same guy gave me the same jazz and I lately refused.

5. Herbalife: Neighbours wife forced us to come. We went, did some timepass and came.

6. RGBC (Not a MLM but a con job like a MLM): My wife and me were doing some shopping in Panjim when a guy approached us thinking we were tourists. When we told him he said that he gets Rs.500/- for sending us to the property and a taxi will be provided. Since we have 4-5 hrs to kill (we were meeting up with some BHPians for dinner) we decided to go. We had made up our minds not to buy. After doing timepass they tried forcing us to buy but we refused. They started getting aggressive demanding why we were not buying the timeshare. Finally I had to threaten them to let us go.
Old 16th January 2017, 22:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Authenticity of internet marketing / SEO companies like Social Trade

I got to know about a company - social trade from my friend who is investing his money in the company. The business model offers some quick bucks. I am not sure how such things work but few people known to me are making money from such websites like Social Trade.

The business model is like this - You pay for ex, 57,000 to the company and an account is created for you through which you get access to 125 links per day that you need to click and open the website present in the link.

In this way you earn up to 8-10k per month, so for one year you almost double your money in one year.

Now I don't have any first-hand experience with such companies, but does this kind of business model really work? Or they are one of the everyday small scams? Especially in India and my major concern if such kind of part time internet money making practices are legal as well?

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Typo
Old 16th January 2017, 23:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

re: Authenticity of internet marketing / SEO companies like Social Trade

It is another multi level Ponzi scheme. Please stay away. It will die it's natural death in a few months and lots of people will cry that the promoters ran away with their money. I am surprised how folks keep falling for such things time and again.
Old 16th January 2017, 23:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I got to know about a company - social trade from my friend who is investing his money in the company. The business model offers some quick bucks. I am not sure how such things work but few people known to me are making money from such websites like Social Trade.

The business model is like this - You pay for ex, 57,000 to the company and an account is created for you through which you get access to 125 links per day that you need to click and open the website present in the link.

In this way you earn up to 8-10k per month, so for one year you almost double your money in one year.

Now I don't have any first-hand experience with such companies, but is this kind of business model really works? Or they are one of the everyday small scams? Especially in India and my major concern if such kind of part time internet money making practices are legal as well?
Interesting!! I am no way even close to an expert here, but it seems that the website is sort of acting as a Marketing Channel for other businesses like Adword or Youtube. You clicking links everyday, gets those websites hits and in turn Social Trade gets paid. But I doubt 125 clicks in a day can get such sort of revenue that they are able to pay you back 8-9K every month. I mean close to around 5 lakh views get you 10K from youtube (estimated/not guaranteed). Plus any internet business that is asking money up front, scares me a bit.

Also, would they be traceable if in case something goes wrong? I mean if they have a legitimate office that people can confirm, that will still give some confidence.

Regards

Rachit
Old 16th January 2017, 23:34   #88
BHPian

Mods - I am in no way trying to promote the website in question here. Just answering some queries raised, since I know the answers.

If this post is against any forum rules, please delete it.

Quote:
Now I don't have any first-hand experience with such companies, but is this kind of business model really works? Or they are one of the everyday small scams? Especially in India and my major concern if such kind of part time internet money making practices are legal as well?
Well, as a member who has invested, and is earning money from Social Trade for a couple of months, I can tell you that it works fine. The company has put up all legal documents required, along with their vision and mission statement on the website, so you can take a look at those.

At the end of the day, any investment is subject to a certain amount of risk, so you need to know what you're comfortable with, before putting your money down.

I was also nervous before making the investment, but weighed up the risk vs reward factor, and convinced myself that it was worth it. I have almost recovered my investment money already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
You clicking links everyday, gets those websites hits and in turn Social Trade gets paid. But I doubt 125 clicks in a day can get such sort of revenue that they are able to pay you back 8-9K every month. I mean close to around 5 lakh views get you 10K from Youtube (estimated/not guaranteed). Plus any internet business that is asking money up front, scares me a bit.

Also, would they be traceable if in case something goes wrong? I mean if they have a legitimate office that people can confirm, that will still give some confidence.
The registered office is mentioned on the website, and actually exists. As mentioned above, I was also nervous to invest my money on this, for the same reasons you have mentioned, but its working out fine, and I am very happy.

I know people who are doing this for almost 1 year now, some have even signed up for multiple accounts, and they are in good profits.

Cheers
Old 16th January 2017, 23:37   #89
BHPian

Authenticity of Internet Marketing/SEO Companies like Social Trade

SEO specialist from my company says
It's an old version of link baiting scheme. Used to be prevalent in some parts of Europe and south east Asia where cyber laws were not stringent. Now they've come to India and Pakistan. It's more of a scam. Domains are activated to look authentic.
Old 17th January 2017, 13:02   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Authenticity of internet marketing / SEO companies like Social Trade

It's a scam - as others have said, they will keep paying as long as they keep finding new suckers. Once new enrolments stop, so will the money. Avoid.

In a way, you answered the question yourself:

Quote:
I am not sure how such things work
Quote:
you need to click and open the website present in the link
Quote:
you almost double your money in one year.
You aren't creating value for anyone
Easy work
Double the money in a year

If making money was so easy, everyone on the planet would be a millionaire.

This scam is basically people just clicking and not giving any business. These clicks are of zero value, hence the model is unsustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I doubt 125 clicks in a day can get such sort of revenue that they are able to pay you back 8-9K every month
In the short term, yes. You'll see rates anywhere between Rs. 2 / click (cheap) to Rs. 10 (average) on Indian websites. Some keywords on google (e.g. car insurance) can get 300 - 500 bucks a click! These are the ones you see next to search results.

Quote:
I mean close to around 5 lakh views get you 10K from Youtube
Man, that is pittance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
The company has put up all legal documents required, along with their vision and mission statement on the website, so you can take a look at those.
What legal documents convinced you? On that link, I only see that it's incorporated, has PAN / service tax numbers etc.

Please don't be misled. There is nothing from these 'legal documents' to separate a solid company from a fraud.

Most Viewed