Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 19:43   #1
BANNED

Germany shopping help

Friends my wife is visiting Germany next month for three weeks for official work and weekends she will be doing shopping for Kid, herself, myself and selected relatives, need advice for good place's for shopping in Berlin, looking for clothes, small gift items and electronic stuff(for me) and may be watches as heard theses no Visa for Switzerland visit.
I think so Sam will be the best to advice, Sam your inputs please if you are listening.Also hows the shipping charges from UK as cant see any site in Germany in english, suggestions for some online stores as well if they deal in english.
Old 20th March 2009, 23:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Berlin

I love Berlin. I've been there about 7 or 8 times and loved it each time.

Quote:
for clothes, small gift items and electronic stuff(for me) and may be watches as heard theses no Visa for Switzerland visit.
Let's handle this first.

Primarily no place in Germany is cheap for shopping. Everything you buy is top class and you pay top dollar (or euro in this case)

If your wife is running short on time, the one stop where she can get everything is KaDeWe. KaDeWe stands for Kaufhaus des Westens. To get there she can take an Ubahn (U2 to be precise) and get off at Wittenberg Platz. KaDeWe is across the station.

it's 5 or 6 floors and covers everything. From clothes to electronics to gift items and souveniers and an excellent kids section. She will need many hours there as it is truly massive.
KaDeWe has a fantastic gourmet section on the top floor, if you enjoy European cuisine. You can buy some hard-to-get ingredients apart from some fine chocolate and marzipan.

For clothes that are not terribly expensive and yet well made, H&M is a good option. For excellent designer shops and some high-quality shopping nothing beats my 2 favourite streets - Kaiserdamm and Kurfürstendamm - aka Ku'Damm. You will find everything your heart desires.

Of course there is tons of shopping and restaurants all over, especially in the city squares, around the Zoo and the Kaiser-Wilhelm church. This place is alive on Sundays with lots of stalls and plenty of shopping, especially from the Gypsies from Romania. Beautiful stuff if she has a keen eye.

Now for the watches - one of the worst places to buy Swiss watches is Switzerland, you should be thankful she's not doing that. Both Swiss chocolates and watches are available cheaper outside switzerland.
Germany is not the place to buy a watch.

Of course you stand a good chance of getting some limited edition Glashüttte and A.Lange und Sohne watches, but you better be prepared to spend around 10,000 Euros.
Otherwise Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and even India are better places to get watches.

However of you are looking for a good automatic german watch - inexpensive (comparitively) I would have recommended some good local brands...but I cannot remember the names right now. Still - I am not so sure about buying watches there.

Berlin nightlife rocks. Beyond rocking. There is nothing you cannot see or do by day or night there.
Quote:
Also hows the shipping charges from UK as cant see any site in Germany in english, suggestions for some online stores as well if they deal in english.
You confuse me now. Do you wish to buy something in the UK and ship to Germany? Why would you do that?
Germany is not a duty free country and in fact German customs and duties are quite difficult and not as easy-going as the US or other countries.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2009 at 23:52.
Old 21st March 2009, 10:06   #3
BHPian

i had been on short trip to Gladbeck, a small town near Dusseldorf. Our stay was for just 5 days and it was snowing bad. Managed to go to a ToyRUs which was near and got some stuff for my son. No idea if it was because of new year but quite a bit of items were on discount. Picked up a few cosmetic stuff for my wife from a shop nearby. Prices were not cheap in this shop. I would say Germany is neither costly nor cheap than India.
Old 21st March 2009, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh don't forget to tell your wife to visit Potsdamer Platz and to go to the Sony Centre (there's also a Legoland there) and there's some good restaurants and shopping there.

If she'd like to check out all of the Platz and the history of Daimler-Benz city and get a rooftop view, she can go to the Panorama Punkt am Potsdamer Platz (Opposite the BahnTower - DB's office) and ride the world's second fastest elevator up to the highest point there. Great place.

Man I miss Berlin.

AND AND also at the Potsdamer Platz there is a little theatre area and that's where the Blue Man Group play - SHE MUST go for the Blue Man Group show, even if she goes alone. It is incredible.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:36   #5
BANNED

Thaks Sam and you gave advice as expected in details, gave her this link for her shopping idea, also dropped the idea of watches and shipping stuff from UK.
Any pointers towards "ICE" looking for some Infinity products and how they are priced over there compared to India.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Any pointers towards "ICE" looking for some Infinity products and how they are priced over there compared to India.
Generally more expensive - unless there is a sale at Media Markt or at Saturn.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:58   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Panorama Punkt am Potsdamer Platz (Opposite the BahnTower - DB's office)
My MB Quart's on the Safari came from there.

Swear, German for quality but every great things come at a price.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
My MB Quart's on the Safari came from there.
Hi Pavan,
Panorama Punkt translates as Panorama Point. It is a platform on the terrace of one of the highest buildings in Germany here you can get a complete overview of the reconstructed Daimler-Benz city, built after WWII.

Germany shopping help-dsc_1605_l.jpg

I doubt that your speakers came from this viewing terrace.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, you make me miss Berlin even though I've never been there! Your descriptions are delightful!!
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:31   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Pavan,
Panorama Punkt translates as Panorama Point. It is a platform on the terrace of one of the highest buildings in Germany here you can get a complete overview of the reconstructed Daimler-Benz city, built after WWII.

I doubt that your speakers came from this viewing terrace.
, yes you are right.

Sam I meant from this area, will try to search for that box, from the MB Quart Dealer.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

If she's on a business Visa, just make sure that she get Tax Free receipts from the shops. This can be reimbursed at the port of departure. She should produce the items, the original receipt and a copy of that, passport and the tax free voucher.
Old 26th March 2009, 18:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If she's on a business Visa, just make sure that she get Tax Free receipts from the shops. This can be reimbursed at the port of departure. She should produce the items, the original receipt and a copy of that, passport and the tax free voucher.
Sorry I just saw that. AFAIK the tax refund has nothing to do with the class of visa, so long as it is a short visit visa (business or tourist)
Old 26th March 2009, 18:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Germany is not a duty free country and in fact German customs and duties are quite difficult and not as easy-going as the US or other countries.
+1.

I can vouch for this from personal experience.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:18   #14
BHPian

Since the thread is about Germany even i would like to post a few query's:-

1. I will be in Laatzen, Hannover 3rd week of April. In case, if you know any godd palces to visit in hannover in the evenings??
2. Some good places to shop around??
3. Is woolworth available in Hannover?? I have a fairly good experience of buying clothes and other stuff from Woolworth.

Help SAM help...

Cheers
Old 30th March 2009, 17:34   #15
BHPian

KADEWE is the place for shopping in Berlin. The place is absolutely humongous as has been already pointed out by other members. You get absolutely everything that you may find in high streets of London or Paris. The quality of stuff is top notch and well... You pay the buck for them.

Postdamer Platz Arkaden also has over 100 high street brands that are europe's finest.

High street shopping in berlin is also great at Kurfürstendamm and Friedrichstrasse.

On Electronics and technology front, MediaMarkt and Saturn (Pronounced Satuurn) are geek heaven.

Duty free shopping is best done at Frankfurt Airport which is a gateway airport for most major airlines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks