Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 19:47   #1486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
I do not wish------SNIP----and would encourage that.
While I have a difference of opinion with some views and tones here, you are really rocking it, bro!!
Seriously, I have not read stuff like this in ages. Where are you coming from, exactly? And why on a thread that is solely about one thing, ie, quitting?
If you are comfortable with the one or two that you claim to have a day, then its all well. Though in my experience with both drinks and cigarettes, reported figures are more "official" and real figures are more "journalistic" (strictly with reference to zee news)
Feels like you are justifying to only one person. Yourself.
Hold your views, have your discussion, but at the VERY LEAST, see what the discussion is and then give your inputs, no?
Old 16th March 2017, 20:25   #1487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.....If quitting is all that is to it, so may people do it.......
I'll presume you aren't being intentionally obtuse.

You're confusing the 'it' here.

For this specific thread, 'it' is limited to quitting. The thread title says it all. There's a reason it's NOT titled 'The Smoking Thread', in which case your views would be as welcome as anyone else's.

For you and the wider smoking public, 'it' means anything you want it to mean. This forum is all about open discussion and you're free to start a thread of your own on 'Benefits and pleasures of intermittent/restrained smoking'.

Nobody is asking you to NOT discuss it, just asking you NOT to hijack this thread for doing it. Fellow members who really want to quit but are struggling to do so - look just one page back for a member having self-esteem issues for being unable to quit - come here for advice, and the last thing they need is someone muddying the waters with 'intermittent smoking is OK' viewpoints. It may not make a difference to you, but to them it may mean/make the difference between quitting or continuing to be a smoker.

Again, your views on smoking are as valid as anybody else's, but they're off-topic on THIS thread.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2017 at 20:28.
Old 16th March 2017, 22:38   #1488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... ... ...
You're in the wrong place. Please read the thread heading slowly and carefully.
Old 17th March 2017, 07:59   #1489
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: This thread is to help people who are serious about quitting. Some posts have been deleted.
Old 17th March 2017, 21:08   #1490
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions. So instead of waiting for 1st April, I decided not to smoke since today. Haven't smoked a single cigarette since morning, although the urge to smoke is strong, trying to control by having water and chewing gums as suggested. Let's see how long does it go. The best way to control for me was, I kept one cigarette with me the whole day and planned to smoke it only before sleeping.
Btw, read through some posts about cold turkey method, but couldn't understand what exactly is it.
Old 17th March 2017, 23:10   #1491
Distinguished - BHPian

"cold turkey" method of quitting an addiction means to put an absolute full stop and just stop. No support, no substitutes, just stop.

Why cold turkey? I knew once, but I forget. I think it is something to do with the withdrawal symptoms from a sudden and complete stop of heroin. I forget: I'll see if google knows!

Actually, although nicotine is very addictive, the physical symptoms, compared to some "hard" drugs, are fairly mild. I don't think anybody ever died from giving up smoking! It's worth remembering. However bad we may think we feel, we are not rolling around the floor gibbering wildly and having uncontrollable seizures.

By the way, never actually do the one cigarette a day thing. That's how most of my attempts ended. After a day without smoking, that one cigarette is so good, and so powerful, that there is only one thing to do: have another! So don't.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th March 2017 at 23:18.
Old 18th March 2017, 21:36   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"cold turkey" method of quitting an addiction means to put an absolute full stop and just stop. No support, no substitutes, just stop.

Why cold turkey? I knew once, but I forget. I think it is something to do with the withdrawal symptoms from a sudden and complete stop of heroin. I forget: I'll see if google knows!

Actually, although nicotine is very addictive, the physical symptoms, compared to some "hard" drugs, are fairly mild. I don't think anybody ever died from giving up smoking! It's worth remembering. However bad we may think we feel, we are not rolling around the floor gibbering wildly and having uncontrollable seizures.

By the way, never actually do the one cigarette a day thing. That's how most of my attempts ended. After a day without smoking, that one cigarette is so good, and so powerful, that there is only one thing to do: have another! So don't.
I still have the one cigarette with me from last night. Yes, I did not smoke it till now. Not a single cigarette since last night. I know it's not a big achievement but I feel good. The best way to stop was not carrying cigarettes to work or at home. If you do not have it, the urge is less. Also keeping yourself busy helps a lot, your mind doesn't think of smoking if you really busy in middle of something. Now I really wish to celebrate a week without smoke.
PS: I have promised myself to use the cigarette money on my bike instead. That's helping too.

Last edited by Rohitj92 : 18th March 2017 at 21:40.
Old 18th March 2017, 23:40   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Better throw that cigarette away!

Your first day is a big achievement. Expect to have to work harder on days 2, 3, 4... for even bigger achievements. I don't really recall, but I think that, subject to occasional attacks, it gets better after a week or so. It is the first days that are the worst.

The more time you get under your belt, the harder it gets to throw all that away too. Invest in giving up!
Old 19th March 2017, 21:17   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Better throw that cigarette away!

Your first day is a big achievement. Expect to have to work harder on days 2, 3, 4... for even bigger achievements. I don't really recall, but I think that, subject to occasional attacks, it gets better after a week or so. It is the first days that are the worst.

The more time you get under your belt, the harder it gets to throw all that away too. Invest in giving up!
I feel something weird is happening with me. Today is the second day without cigarette, although I do not have that urge to smoke, my body is responding opposite. Been coughing since morning, rarely I suffer with cough or cold. Doubt this is related to sudden non smoking.

Last edited by Rohitj92 : 19th March 2017 at 21:31.
Old 19th March 2017, 21:59   #1495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I feel something weird is happening with me. Today is the second day without cigarette, although I do not have that urge to smoke, my body is responding opposite. Been coughing since morning, rarely I suffer with cough or cold. Doubt this is related to sudden non smoking.
No, it is not weird, it is quite common. All those years, you have been reducing the ability of your lungs to get rid of rubbish. Now you are giving them a chance, and they will take it. recently-ex-smokers do get coughs.

On the other hand, of course, you might have simply caught a cough! But, yes, it can be a giving-up thing.

Symptoms? Expect the unexpected!

But, whatever happens: don't give up giving up!
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:46   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Free advice to all smokers
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-smoking.jpg  

Old 25th May 2017, 13:22   #1497
BHPian

Hi guys, its been a long time i posted on this thread, this august will mark 4 years of me quitting smoking. going strong, But not a day goes by without me craving for a cigarette no matter how small the craving is.

My only advice is to remember why you quit smoking in the first place no matter how long you quit for. Its a filthy habit. Forget the diseases/ailments you can get, even if you don't, you just can't live a fulfilling life if you smoke. i Went cold turkey too. Took anti depressants as prescribed by the doctor, but they kind of made things a bit weird for me so stopped them after 4 days of doses instead of completing their 2 week course and then on cried, retched, curled up on the bed with with crazy withdrawal symptoms but stayed head strong.

message me if anyone needs tips or just needs to have a word.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:40   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hi guys, its been a long time i posted on this thread, this august will mark 4 years of me quitting smoking. going strong, But not a day goes by without me craving for a cigarette no matter how small the craving is. ... ... ...
Wow, it sounds like you had a really bad time, and are still very much having to fight the battle. Although people seem to have week points at two years, three years, etc, and return to smoking, you are the first person I have met with continued daily craving over such a long period. I feel for you. But it is important for others to know that this is unlikely, and that the feeling-awful that they get for a few days, which feels like it will last for ever, doesn't. In fact, it passes much quicker than one would expect.

I continued to dream about smoking for a year or two. But craving was gone in weeks. I did not do cold-turkey: I used the reducing-dose patches. Perhaps this helps the body adjust.

Well done for winning a tough battle. Wishing you all success in going on winning, for ever.
Old 25th May 2017, 14:46   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, it sounds like you had a really bad time, and are still very much having to fight the battle. Although people seem to have week points at two years, three years, etc, and return to smoking, you are the first person I have met with continued daily craving over such a long period. I feel for you. But it is important for others to know that this is unlikely, and that the feeling-awful that they get for a few days, which feels like it will last for ever, doesn't. In fact, it passes much quicker than one would expect.

I continued to dream about smoking for a year or two. But craving was gone in weeks. I did not do cold-turkey: I used the reducing-dose patches. Perhaps this helps the body adjust.

Well done for winning a tough battle. Wishing you all success in going on winning, for ever.

Oh i didnt mean that the craving stays for over, sorry if I said that. I guess thats because 99%of my friends are still smokers.

And boy! talk about the dreams, still there btw!!
Old 25th May 2017, 19:59   #1500
Senior - BHPian

I had dreams - once in 6 months or so - even 15 years after stopping. Elaborate ones where I was regretfully looking back to when I was a successful quitter!
All that matters is what you do when you are awake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks