Team-BHP - Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/5567-help-smoking-team-bhp-members-quit-smoking-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swale84 (Post 786337)
Latest update from moral: 17 hours.

p.S :What about the Carton of Win's that is coming for you on Wednesday? :-)

The carton is a gift from me to you. Half for you and half for Gautam.

The biggest quest was post lunch. Had a heavy lunch and did not walk close to the elevator where they sell cigarettes. Took the stairs instead. :-). Its a nice feeling, the head is heavy, the desire is strong but I am keeping myself too busy to think of going for a smoke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 786345)
You mean the lying? 20-20

This kind of a post amounts to spamming. Wait till you get a note from the mod for this. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram18 (Post 786422)
Ok guys. How about this. Let's all (t-bhp Pune) guys do a mass quit-smoking thing. We meet regularly enough and that way all of us can motivate (or beat the **** out of) whoever lights up.
I used to be a bigtime smoker who quit 10 years ago. Of late I've started enjoying a drag or 2, esp. post-Goa. I'm serious about quitting all over again. So can we do this?
It was Gudi Padwa yesterday, so how about this for a New Years resolution?

I am with you on this one. Poor Suhail and Gautam are going to get beaten everyday.

I had heard of some tablets you get for killing the urge. Any clue on where to find them? Are they effective?

I feel choosing to quit smoking is as personal decision as was deciding to start smoking in the first place. Hence, no group resolutions/mass mailers/forum topics can force or sway a person to quit.

I myself am a smoker since year 2000, with a 1.5 year break in between. I am also trying hard to quit and my will power has been defeated by one reason or the other (work/life pressure, stress etc) more times than I can count. Plus, it gets all the more difficult to quit if you enjoy your drinks with your smokes (or vice versa).

Anyways, I came across this informative pic and thought of sharing with all. It is actually a positive enough reason to quit and not regret over those years spent puffing away. I got it in an email and then googled to find out that its probably the most popular "anti-smoking" pics. Hope this thing is actually factually correct.

Here's the text of the pic:

Timeline about some of the more immediate effects of quitting smoking and how that will affect your body RIGHT NOW.

- In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
- In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
- In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
- In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
- In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
- In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
- In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
- In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
- In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
- In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

So, you have more immediate things to look forward to if you quit now besides just freaking out about not being able to smoke.

Wow ! a novel idea.
I will be there to beat up gautam and suhail :D
As it is i am a casual or occasionaly smoker so its easy for me to quit.Lets do this :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram18 (Post 786422)
Ok guys. How about this. Let's all (t-bhp Pune) guys do a mass quit-smoking thing. We meet regularly enough and that way all of us can motivate (or beat the **** out of) whoever lights up.

I used to be a bigtime smoker who quit 10 years ago. Of late I've started enjoying a drag or 2, esp. post-Goa. I'm serious about quitting all over again. So can we do this?

It was Gudi Padwa yesterday, so how about this for a New Years resolution?

What a fabulous idea. I'm with you on this one. We really have all been ging overboard, especially in the last month afer Goa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram18 (Post 786451)
2. At Rs. 25 for a pack of 20, it costs more than a buck each :D

He found them in Kolkata at 170 /- per carton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 786472)
The carton is a gift from me to you. Half for you and half for Gautam.

I am with you on this one. Poor Suhail and Gautam are going to get beaten everyday.

No thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amey (Post 786483)
Wow ! a novel idea.
I will be there to beat up gautam and suhail :D
As it is i am a casual or occasionaly smoker so its easy for me to quit.Lets do this :)

I've only become regular off late, long after you chumps were puffing away pack after pack

OK, I'm gonna take the first major step towards this mass quitting movement, here it comes

HENCEFORTH, MY HOUSE IS A NO SMOKING ZONE. This includes the parking area, garden and the road outside the gate.

This either means Pune T - bhp is gonna soon be smoke free or no one (except Karl) is gonna come to my house anymore.

P.S : Vikram, are Cigars counted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swale84 (Post 786559)
HENCEFORTH, MY HOUSE IS A NO SMOKING ZONE. This includes the parking area, garden and the road outside the gate.

You forgot to include your "house" in the list. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 786563)
You forgot to include your "house" in the list. :uncontrol

Huh? I said my house is a no smoking Zone.

Dude, these withdrawal symptons are making you delusional

Quote:

The acute symptoms (feeling drowsy, desperate, and unhappy) are really acute for first 24 hours, and reduce by themselves in around 3-4 days.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 786425)
I guess this depends from person to person. I had this drowsiness for continous 4 days & I somehow managed it by drinking bottles & bottles of water, which is the best medicine.

I am feeling horribly drowsy. Drank liters of water to combat. I am heading home to go off to sleep. Getting this weird cold shiver once in a while as well. I have to agree I was really addicted and am feeling good that all this will pass by. :)

A very good idea indeed:). As it is i dont smoke daily; may be one every alternate day or so. So it is easy for me to quit.,i think.
BTW,
Congrats kiran 17 hrs long thats something really nice. And i am sure it will continue that way.

Cant beat suhail & gautam unless i quit in toto:D
So when are we having a meet at Grand?

I have been smoking for about a year now. Cant quite define my smoking pattern. I go 3-4 days without a light and then one fine day, I smoke 2-3. When I have daroo, half a pack goes up in flames.

I have not yet made a conscious effort to quit smoking.

Quote:

FATAL3RROR : What if I am smoking WINS, which costs less than Re.1/- a cigarette? ...
It will cost you less than Rs 1/- a cig, but you'll be paying the price for a long time to come. And you will be counting (the price) for a long time too ..

Why would we want to help someone quit smoking?

More Smokers, less Drivers, more road space, more fun for non-smokers like me :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL (Post 786719)
Why would we want to help someone quit smoking?

More Smokers, less Drivers, more road space, more fun for non-smokers like me :)

Thats a very mean approach even in fun, I say:mad:. You don't smoke so lead by example and urge the smokers not to smoke. Wouldn't you like to enjoy your drive more with your friends rather than driving in solidarity!!??

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaval (Post 786733)
Thats a very mean approach even in fun, I say:mad:. You don't smoke so lead by example and urge the smokers not to smoke. Wouldn't you like to enjoy your drive more with your friends rather than driving in solidarity!!??

I sincerely hope dhaval was joking there.

Suhail, MF, Amey, Dhaval ... you guys totally ROCK. Here's to a smoke-free Happy New Year. May there be MANY MANY more!
Pune Team-Bhp, that's the place to be!

Guys i have tried to quit smoking a lot of times in the last 4 years but never could.. and guess what? I HAVE quit smoking from last July now and I proudly belong to the NON-SMOKING club now!! cheers:

I dont know what got into me but i should say cigarattes helped me quit smoking !!! Yes you heard it right!!!

I used to be a Gold Flake lights smoker before and the problem i started encountering is that I would never get my brand near my office or home and had to take a divertion for about a KM within the 13KM drive everyday to get my brand of cigrattes That to from the Kormangala IRR drive!!:Frustrati

This usally made me buy whatever i got and ended up trying a lot of other brands during this a time frame of 20 days. Eventually i got fedup of smoking because of the different tastes that I used to get everyday!!

So one day i just decided that I'm not smoking and guess what? Got a 5K check from my boss as he liked the idea and introduced it in the company perks as quitting smoking bonus!!

From then on, (almost a year now) I have been a smoke free person and have managed to kill the urge whenever I felt like smoking with PLAIN WATER!!