Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th June 2019, 12:30   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So finally, I think I have won the battle! Since 20th October 2018, I have not touched a cigarette, it's nearly 3 months now

No more cravings, no more urge to go back to smoking. It was not easy, had to struggle in the past 9-10 months before I could achieve this.

2019 will be Zero Cigarette year for me
I failed myself!

The period of 20th October 2018-23rd April 2019 was a good 'No Smoking' 6 months for me. I was really happy that I did a great job and the habit is no more behind me.

But I again smoked a couple of times in April end during a trip to Europe and after coming back I am smoking again.

Instead of living with this regret, I thought of sharing it with folks here. Though, I am again preparing myself to quit it again this month onwards.

Bad habits are really tough to leave. Not happy with my self at all. I wished 2019 to be completely smoke-free!
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 16:01   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I failed myself!
(...)
Instead of living with this regret, I thought of sharing it with folks here. Though, I am again preparing myself to quit it again this month onwards.
You did good by sharing. And I would disagree; you didn't "fail" anybody, let alone yourself. So you slipped. Just pick up and dust yourself off and continue.

Quote:
Bad habits are really tough to leave. Not happy with my self at all. I wished 2019 to be completely smoke-free!
No matter. I spent the years 2011 through 2017 smoke free. Made it to August 2018 before I smoked a few cigarettes then stayed clean again till New Year's. Smoked on and off through 2019 till I finally had to ask myself what the hell am I doing and buckle down again.

Clock is reset now: currently at 16 days clean. I should be beating myself up but recent events have convinced me there is no point being fanatical about anything.

Take my advice: You chose to quit for a reason, remember that and resume your quit again!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 16:12   #1773
Distinguished - BHPian

I often say that "trying" is not good enough. It's destined to fail. But I also say that failing needn't be forever.

Ideally, after a one or two cigarette fail, get right back to not failing! It is very hard, because after not smoking, even for a few days, cigarettes are really good. But think of it is a war. Nicotine wants you to surrender after one lost battle. Don't: get on with the war!

Nicotine also gets through the cracks of overconfidence. I've noticed regular timings for people giving up giving up: among them, six months and even a couple of years.

Back to the war, bluevolt!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 18:41   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I failed myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
So you slipped. Just pick up and dust yourself off and continue.
No matter. I spent the years 2011 through 2017 smoke free. Made it to August 2018 before I smoked a few cigarettes then stayed clean again till New Year's. Smoked on and off through 2019 till I finally had to ask myself what the hell am I doing and buckle down again.

Take my advice: You chose to quit for a reason, remember that and resume your quit again!
I am smoke free for almost 16 months now, and it is a tough battle.
And it is posts like these above that increase the urge in me even more to have that few drags.

Phew. Man, what a fight, in a war started by myself. No one else to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I often say that "trying" is not good enough. It's destined to fail. But I also say that failing needn't be forever.

It is very hard, because after not smoking, even for a few days, cigarettes are really good. But think of it is a war.

Nicotine wants you to surrender after one lost battle. Don't: get on with the war!

Nicotine also gets through the cracks of overconfidence. I've noticed regular timings for people giving up giving up: among them, six months and even a couple of years.

Back to the war, bluevolt!
War it is, a life long one at that.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 19:15   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
War it is, a life long one at that.
The first few days are by far the worst. Anyone who gets over that hurdle has a really good chance of succeeding long term. And, honestly, after a decade or two one pretty much forgets about smoking on a day-to-day basis.

Even so: keep the guard up. I have no inclination whatsoever to smoke again, but even after twenty years I had two tobacco-related dreams last week. Suddenly, out of nowhere! I think it lurks in the subconscious for ever
Old 11th June 2019, 20:16   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
And it is posts like these above that increase the urge in me even more to have that few drags.

Phew. Man, what a fight, in a war started by myself. No one else to blame.
The way I think about it is...it took a special kind of strength within you to quit (no doubt after multiple attempts). Sometimes that strength wavers. We're all human, that happens. The worst thing you can do when you slip is think of it as the end of the world and start puffing away like a chimney, never to quit again.

However tough things get, just remember that the same strength is still inside you. And having done 16 months or 8 years or 23 years smoke free, as the case may be, you know what you gained by staying away from the monster. So give it some time if you need to, but have a target. Even when I was smoking (mostly between January- March this year) I was telling myself, OK but this is just temporary, I need to get back to being a non-smoker soon. Work towards it and break the cord for good.

By no means am I advocating that every quit smoker should return to smoking for a few days/weeks/months and then quit again. All I am saying is that *if* it does happen, doesn't mean that all hope is lost.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 11:10   #1777
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm a big checklist kind of guy and have documents for everything. This may or may not help you.

Yet, I'd suggest making a word doc with 50 reasons you quit smoking (trust me, there are easily 50 benefits & advantages). Then go to your Google Calendar and make a recurring entry to read this document every 20 days or so. It serves as a very good reminder of why you quit cigarettes and why you should stay off them. Your brain also keeps getting subconsciously trained every time you do this.

It's now over a year and I still find myself tweaking the document with new reasons (or editing the existing ones). Would've shared my document, but it's very personal, so would prefer not to. Am sure you will have your own 50 reasons to stay off smoking...just do it .

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2019 at 11:11.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 17:24   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm a big checklist kind of guy and have documents for everything. This may or may not help you.

Yet, I'd suggest making a word doc with 50 reasons you quit smoking (trust me, there are easily 50 benefits & advantages). Then go to your Google Calendar and make a recurring entry to read this document every 20 days or so. It serves as a very good reminder of why you quit cigarettes and why you should stay off them. Your brain also keeps getting subconsciously trained every time you do this.
...... .
I somehow agree with GTO. Though I am not a checklist guy, but I only look for THE ONE REASON. Thats enough for me, and is applicable for all any decision in my life. I wanted to quite smoking after 14 year of smoking (thats quite small I know). But the One Reason made me strong enough to quit and never go back.... even for hookah.
I strongly recommend all my cousins and friends, to quit and never go back. But as GTO said reasons helps you to quit...... for me it was the only ONE.
coolbareilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 21:21   #1779

Well reading all the comments in this thread I have enough motivation now to start another quit-smoking camp in my life. Not that I haven't tried before, but failed miserably number of times. Just to let you know how demotivated I am at this thought of quit smoking is from past two years I have an app called quit-smoking on phone and I keep resetting the date almost every day or sometimes week and tell my self this is my last smoke and since I am out of India I don't have a way to buy single cigarette here and end up buying a pack, smoke one and throw the pack because I tell myself this is my last smoke every-time I smoke and this is happening from last few years. I feel very numb looking at me asking me how many times will you fail at this thing.

I longest I have managed is 3 weeks without a smoke, but somehow I keep hooking into back and back again :(.

But somewhere in my mind I believe I will be a non-smoker. So I just wanted to mention it here and get some support from you guys for starting this thing again.....
Its been 48 hours now and counting...

Last edited by abhiram90 : 19th June 2019 at 21:44.
abhiram90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 00:14   #1780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram90 View Post
But somewhere in my mind I believe I will be a non-smoker. So I just wanted to mention it here and get some support from you guys for starting this thing again.....
Its been 48 hours now and counting...
Abhi, it's the usual advice from me: "Somewhere in my mind I believe" is not good enough, and just matches your past pattern and history. As the joke says: Giving up smoking is easy, I've done it lots of times.

So you have to make this time different. And the way to do that is simple: give up belief, throw out hope, discard trying, and decide that you are now a non-smoker.

And two days in is not bad! Capitalise on it by making that decision. You might already have gone through the worst days of giving up. Don't waste it.

Go for it!
Old 20th June 2019, 07:38   #1781
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram90 View Post
I longest I have managed is 3 weeks without a smoke, but somehow I keep hooking into back and back again :(.

But somewhere in my mind I believe I will be a non-smoker. So I just wanted to mention it here and get some support from you guys for starting this thing again
All of us have failed before succeeding, man. Just go for it! The only real failure will be to stop trying...so keep pushing.

3 weeks is pretty good. In that time, the nicotine would be completely out of your body and the only thing that got you back to cigarettes is psychological brainwashing.

Do 2 things:

1. Start reading Allen Carr's Easy Way book.

2. Make a list of reasons you want to quit & read this list everyday to start with.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 13:52   #1782
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely. Most of my "attempts" didn't last even a single day! This is why it is so necessary to do something different.

An absolute decision. You are not going to smoke again. Even if all the worst possible things happen in one day, the one thing you will not do is light a cigarette. Go through this mental process. Put it on paper if that helps you. Put the positives too.

It is such a powerful decision that I can remember actually making it, and where I was at the time. Maybe it helped that I was out on a trip, somewhere unusual, although it wasn't planned at the start of the day.

But it may help to go somewhere special. A religious place of you are religious is a good possibility. Call it a vow if it helps. Just it has to be absolute.

When you have given yourself no choice, you won't be able to smoke again!
Old 23rd June 2019, 01:20   #1783

Thanks Thad and GTO for the inputs. Been on the road last couple of days and completed the allen carr's audio tape on quit smoking.

This is suppose to be 5 days but nope I broke it the same day I posted the message .
But back on track and doing one more time with more strength this time.
abhiram90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 14:55   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

Good. Losing a battle is not losing the war. Unless you lose too many battles.
Old 18th July 2019, 14:36   #1785
Senior - BHPian

GTO, do you have a PDF version of Allen Carr's Easy Way book? I would like to read this book that may again help to quit an intermittent, occasional smoking habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Likewise - I've been working out since as far back as I can remember, and was a smoker for 22 years.
Since you were a smoker for 22 long years, how you assessed that these many years of smoking did not have any ill effects?

I see lots of advertisements these days that claim to find out how much damage smoking has done to your health!

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th July 2019 at 14:37.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote