Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 11:24   #1846
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

I used to smoke somewhere in the region of 4-6 cigarettes a day when I was a GET in L&T. Realized the downsides and started throttling down to 2-3 per day and eventually 1 per day down to once a week. Now, its very occasional, the odd one per month when with a close friend. But glad that I got rid of it!
Old 13th March 2020, 12:24   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
I used to smoke somewhere in the region of 4-6 cigarettes a day when I was a GET in L&T. Realized the downsides and started throttling down to 2-3 per day and eventually 1 per day down to once a week. Now, its very occasional, the odd one per month when with a close friend. But glad that I got rid of it!
That means you were never a 'smoker' per definition. The nicotine level in your blood never raised and sustained till such a period, your 'craving' starts. Probably, you didn't take the smoke to lungs, but just kept in mouth and exhaled. Good you got rid of it.
Old 15th March 2020, 13:17   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't want to sound like a broken record on this thread, but please read Allen Carr's "easy way" book.
I have got hold of the book and started with it. Thanks a lot @GTO for the pointer.
In addition, as an additional motivator to keep me at this, I have started one monthly SIP in one mutual fund for the amount which otherwise I would have smoked out. Read this tip somewhere.
Old 25th March 2020, 22:24   #1849
BHPian

One side effect of CoronaVirus and the shutdown / lockdown.
On Friday last, Maharashtra CM ordered lock down and all the cigarette shops were shut.
So I could not procure any more stock.

I smoked my last cigarette at 0810 on 24th March 2020 and it has been upwards of 38 hours so far, I have zero cravings or withdrawls.
A fellow smoker who managed to get lot of Juul refills before the ban, advised me to go in for nicotine gum as a back up - since chemists are still open.
He advised me to not eat that gum till I really get a severe craving - which has not happened as yet.
Let's see if I am able to continue on this path once the lockdown is lifted.

This will be my first real attempt at giving up smoking (mainly driven by the lockdown)
Ithaca is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 02:10   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Great. Here is something good coming for you from the current situation.

It may be that it is being forced upon you right now, but it will become your success as soon as tobacco is available --- and you don't buy it.

All the best!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 16:08   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Have tried multiple times but haven't been able to quit yet. However this lockdown encouraged me to give it another shot. Knew very well there's gonna be a lock-down and could have stocked up but I just kept 1 pack as backup for the entire tenure.

Till Feb,2020 end my count was 8-9 per day.
Since WFH started(2nd week of March) reduced to 4-5 a day.
Since Junta Curfew day(22nd March), reduced to 2 per day.

At times I have cravings but the thought that I can't buy anymore for 3 weeks, drives me away from going for it. Hoping this time around I am able to quit this expensive bad-habit. Or atleast reduce it to no more than 1-2 per day

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th March 2020 at 16:10.
Old 26th March 2020, 16:15   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
It is worth sounding like a broken record
Read it on 2nd march in 6 hours. Lit up a couple on 3rd and also had some alcohol. Hated both
I am clean since then and the best part is I don't have control myself.
The book is indeed life changing- I read it & quit a time when I have quite a lot of stress in life
Hope to keep going and recommend wholeheartedly to everyone trying to quit.
Beating my own trumpet
No urges at all not on day 1 not on day 23
went to favourite highway joint with friend- no-liquor no puffs
lockdown boredom exists but still no urge
The book is magic, thank you.

The cedia’s spares aren’t coming though

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2020 at 16:25. Reason: Non forum smilie used.
Old 26th March 2020, 16:16   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Have tried multiple times
See all my posts about trying not being enough.

And reducing to one or two doesn't even approximate giving up. If anything, it helps to make sure you don't ever give up, because waiting for a cigarette makes it much more enjoyable/addictive: you really feel the nicotine hit!
Old 26th March 2020, 17:11   #1854
BHPian

Since the lockdown, I've come down from 4-5 packs a day (10 sticks pack- Navy Cut) to 3 packs a day. Got rationed for 15 days more.

A good thing, maybe?
Old 26th March 2020, 17:24   #1855
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

A bit of motivation for all here could be the fact that the health of our lungs is going to save us if we contract the novel corona virus.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 20:03   #1856
BHPian

Went cold turkey since the outbreak happened.

Been at least 15 days, used to get cravings earlier but they have mostly subsided. Don't plan to pick it up back either after the world returns to normal.

I'd thought of quitting many times in the past but options were available so really couldn't.
typlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 00:20   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Since the lockdown, I've come down from 4-5 packs a day (10 sticks pack- Navy Cut) to 3 packs a day. Got rationed for 15 days more.

A good thing, maybe?
Marginally, maybe. But thirty cigarettes a day is full-on-smoker, so please don't ask for awards. For the last years of my smoking I was only smoking 20 a day.
Old 27th March 2020, 16:49   #1858
BHPian

Sharing a personal experience which changed my entire outlook towards life and the addictions which we pick up, sometimes knowingly or unknowingly. Please read with caution as this account might be a little to harsh.

This happened very recently, infact as recently as 21st March, the second day of my WFH.

I woke up around 8:00 AM after a long night at work. Had slept around 3:00 AM.

I heard my phone beep with a new WhatsApp message. Usually, I do not pick the phone as soon as I am awake. It's only after I am done with my morning routine and had breakfast is when I see the phone.
But, today was different. Very different!
I open the group chat, which has friends from one of my previous companies. We have been friends for over a decade now and have a certain closeness and a bonding for each other.

There were a few images which one of the group members had shared. I downloaded those images. I could make out a familiar face, lying on an ICU bed with all sorts of tubes going through his nose and mouth. A highly swollen face, with blood stains at random spots. Right hand covered with bandages and blood marks.
This guy was unconscious.

I asked on the group, what happened?

A reply came back with only two words - Mouth Cancer.
It was his wife who replied.
This guy had a habit of chewing one of those pan masala which contains tobacco.

I was completely shaken from within. Did not know how to react. Gathered all my courage and enquired about what the doctor has said. Since there was (and still is) a lockdown, visiting the hospital is out of bounds for now.
She mentioned that the situation is critical and Multiple surgeries will be required.

This guy has two kids aged 4 and 7 ( IIRC). Has no support from either of the families as theirs was a love marriage.

The reason for sharing this account is simple. If I am able to convince atleast one person to challenge that status quo and decide on quitting these habits once and for all, I would consider it a big win!
I am a convert too! And I am proud that I challenged the status quo! You can do it too!!

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 27th March 2020 at 17:02.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 18:20   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
A reply came back with only two words - Mouth Cancer.
Whilst I know that chewing or sucking tobacco products is far more likely to cause mouth cancer than smoking them is, I also find it far more terrifying.

Back in my smoking days, all those TV programs, articles, posters, etc, telling/showing us why we should not smoke focussed entirely on lungs. It was a message that never really got through to me, and after watching stuff, I tended to reach for a cigarette. I don't know, but maybe, just one picture of a guy with half a face might have shocked me into action when a hundred pictures of tar-blackened lungs did not.
Old 31st May 2020, 18:29   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimal_67 View Post
Decided to take the plunge finally......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Keep it up, even when you get better!..
While I saw this poster of No Tobacco Day, it dawned on me that I have clocked 3 Tobacco-free months. Couldn't but feel proud for having broken free.

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-20200531_180958.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this thread, but please read Allen Carr's "easy way" book...
The book is a real life saver. Gave an all new perspective to start with and when in doubt aids as a re-affirmation tool too
bimal_67 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks