Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 16:25   #196
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Nitin. Congrats on kicking the bottle and you deserve to be proud.

Coping with peer pressure or watching your buddies drink while you dont want to is very difficult. It takes an iron willed man to stay put and with each passing day your will power gets stronger. Your friends hopefully understand and respect your decision. While some may want you to toast your drink when its time to celebrate make sure you toast your drink (fresh juice makes an excellent and delicious toast too)

On the lighter side you might just become more popular now that you are a teetotaller (sober drivers are rare you see).

@ Torque-ative, congrats to you too and wish you many years of good health. Glad you pulled through the sickness.

Damn, I'm itching for a smoke now.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th May 2008 at 16:28.
Old 28th May 2008, 16:41   #197
BHPian

I am sorry I was unaware this topic was alreday discussed.Thanks Bblost for pointing it out !!! MODS PLEASE MERGE THREADS !!

Well the biggest reason TO QUIT has to be to live,..and not die like a DOG !! PANTING WITH YOUR ALVEOLI ALL BUSTED AT 50,....THE HARDER YOU TRY TO BREATHE THE LESSER AIR YOU GET,..AND THEN PANIC SETS IN.

You begin to feel like you are drowning while still gasping,..the feeling gets worse with time. If you make it to oxygen or your nebulizer you might live or else like I said you die panting and gasping ,.....ALONE !!!

The least you could wish for is a peaceful death while asleep.
All those who feel its their business and not mine,..are probably very healthy !!

Good for you,..I am genuinly happy that you have lungs sounder than mine !!
But under constant hammering it is just a matter of time before yours give in too.

The feeling is debilitating !!,..and I mean in it in the worst possible way.
You literally drown and this feeling of panic lasts for a long time till you die !!

Trust me I know the feeling
Old 28th May 2008, 16:44   #198
BHPian

Aditya,..thanks It means a lot !!!

Careful brother I do not mean it in a nosey kind of way. for you have wished me health,..it is only proper for me to do the same with you.

Take care my friend !!
Old 28th May 2008, 16:51   #199
Senior - BHPian

Torque-active - have merged your thread here. Please use the search function next time.

bblost - thanks for pointing out the existing thread.

Carry on the discussions.
Old 28th May 2008, 16:53   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Nitin,..I am glad,..stay sober !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Way to go Nitin. Congrats on kicking the bottle and you deserve to be proud.
Thanks Torque-ative and n_aditya
Old 28th May 2008, 16:57   #201
BHPian

My story is on the same lines, chain smoker and regular drinker to a teetotaller. Quitting slowly does not work IMHO.

On the bright side, there seem to be a few tbhpians who have kicked the habit. See this thread for details.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:17   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

I am so glad not have fallen to any of these vices.

I tasted alcohol (vodka, beer, feni and wine) knowing I would hate it. I wasnt disappointed

When it comes to smoking, I just cant take the smoke. I hate it even if people around me smoke. I am kinda allergic to it. Throat becomes sore, nose starts running and I get really angry at those people who not only want to kill themselves but want to poison others too...

One major reason why I am not a regular at T-bhp meets. Too many smokers. :( . I know I am the loser in missing out on the opportunity to meet with friends and have a great time, but my body just doesnt permit it.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:24   #203
BHPian

I agree ,..and its very heartening !!
The issue is people think it cannot happen to them untill it actually does.

I am speaking thru expierience,..it is the most frightful,..nightmarish senario to have your lungs damaged and alevioli filled with PUS !!

In begining stages there is a chance of remision,..but if it has advanced there is no stopping it from slowly infecting your entire lung.

The double whammy is as,.. typical symptoms do not show up till at least 30-40 % of the lungs are alreday damaged. As I said before lungs are quite resilient and continues to do its work even when parts of it is scarred and filled with pus.

The future is scarry to say the least.
Old 28th May 2008, 19:40   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
One major reason why I am not a regular at T-bhp meets. Too many smokers. :( .
LOL dude no-one is asking you to inhale what t-bhp'ians smoke during meets. No offense but that was uncalled for.

So lets say you never go to public places is it ?
Old 28th May 2008, 20:02   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
LOL dude no-one is asking you to inhale what t-bhp'ians smoke during meets. No offense but that was uncalled for.

I don't think he has a choice regarding what he inhales when he is in a group of people. He mentioned his issues and i think it's perfectly fine for somebody to avoid a company that gives physical discomfort.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 28th May 2008 at 20:13.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:39   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

I dont come there and grumble and force everyone to give up smoking, do I ? You mean to say I dont even have the freedom to express my thoughts ?

I choose not to come because of this. I am not forcing the smokers to stop smoking only for me !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I don't think he has a choice regarding what he inhales when he is in a group of people. He mentioned his issues and i think it's perfectly fine for somebody to avoid a company that gives physical discomfort.

Exactly.
I avoid going to restaurants where they dont have a proper distinction between smoking and non-smoking sections. I did attend two meet and was very uncomfortable.

I feel bad about missing the meets, but well, I cant help it !!
Old 29th May 2008, 09:24   #207
rippergeo

@nikhil- I have friends who smoke, and when they are smoking I usually drag them out into the open with me, so that I can stay around them without getting poisoned.also helps if you are positioned upwind

I'm not allergic to the smoke, but I panic when I see someone smoking near me.I've seen too many patients die to feel safe near a smoker.

lung cancer is the (relatively)easy way out.
COPD and emphysema take their time killing you. its horrible, slow, painful and an expensive way to die.

and by the time one finds out, its usually too late.

only people who are motivated and care for their families enough manage to stay clean.
I still check with every patient on every visit to see if they smoke and waste a good amount of time telling them to quit, but all the advice never helps.

the person has to want to quit on his own to be successful.
external motivation can only help to a minor extent.

Old 29th May 2008, 10:06   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@nikhil- I have friends who smoke, and when they are smoking I usually drag them out into the open with me, so that I can stay around them without getting poisoned.also helps if you are positioned upwind

I'm not allergic to the smoke, but I panic when I see someone smoking near me.I've seen too many patients die to feel safe near a smoker.
Well, I cant force t-bhpians to do that . And when it comes to friends, I do make it clear that they shouldnt smoke anywhere close to me. It happened just 2 days back when some of my friends lit up near me. I requested them to go out and close the balcony door if they wanted to kill themselves :
Old 29th May 2008, 10:11   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Exactly.
I avoid going to restaurants where they dont have a proper distinction between smoking and non-smoking sections. I did attend two meet and was very uncomfortable.
Just happened to unknowingly visit a Restaurant near PVR Sahara Mall (Punjabi Tadka whatever), and to my surprise it was a smoking zone. Very suffocating surroundings, and utterly expensive food. And some parents with their 2-3 month old infants were having lunch in the restaurant amidst all the smoke, i felt so bad. :(
Old 29th May 2008, 10:57   #210
Suryam

You may also join 'Vipasana' course which is buddhist mediatation course offered free for 10-days(full time residenatial at the centre) at various 'Vipasana' centres across world. For more details one can goto Vipassana Meditation Website. I have one freend we had quit smoking after this course.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks