Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 11:01   #211

Quit Smoking

Dear Members Date 29.05.2008

I had been smoking for more than 10years , till the year 1994 , I use to smoke 20 cigaretts per day .

I Now since last 13 Years I have not smoked even one puff .

The process which I had followed to quit smoking was progressive over 33 days , First one week I use to lit the cigarette smoke 2 or 3 puffs at normal pace of smoking & throw the balance 3/4th cig.
Form the date I had started this process , I had already marked the date on which it willbe the full STOP for smoking (That is 33 rd Day)
next week onward I use to post pone the first cigarette of the day by atleast 15 Minutes ,by the end of week it was to one hour delay over earlier normal time of First cigarett of day .
Now on The first day of third week on ward I had started the process of Self hypnosis (as Described by John silva) or same as per Yoga Nidra process & self instruction to quit smoking to sub conscious mind
By the end of third week I realized that My urge to smoke has come under My control ,than becoming the action controlled by autonomous nervous-system( The bad habit ( Action) )
By the beginning of 4th week The smoking was reduced to 3 cigs per day . one after t Lunch , one after at end of work for the day one after Dinner
It was clearly indicative that ,My smoking was cutt-off from the reason of MENTAL stress points in the course of work .
& The the last week was purely to work on sub conscious mind by the process of self hypnosis .
At this time I was ready to declare to my family & friends about my target date (which was pre-determined by me 33 days) to quit smoking .
& To my surprise on the 29th day onward from the date of starting process I could quit smoking & that hold good still day ( AFTER 13 YEARS ALSO)
I HOPE MY EXPERIENCE MAY BE USE FULL TO All smokers to quit smoking or may fine tune to individuals
Best Luck & Have healthier life & Happy wife without smoking .

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th May 2008 at 11:39. Reason: 2 smileys per post max. Please read the TBHP rules in the Announcements section.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:46   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatekcorp View Post
I HOPE MY EXPERIENCE MAY BE USE FULL TO All smokers to quit smoking or may fine tune to individuals
Best Luck & Have healthier life & Happy wife without smoking .
Thanks for sharing novatekcorp, thats an interesting way to stop smoking. Kudos on kicking the habit.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:52   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I dont come there and grumble and force everyone to give up smoking, do I ?
Yaa you wish .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
You mean to say I dont even have the freedom to express my thoughts ?
No-one stopped you from doing that. You have every right to express your thoughts. I replied was only coz you mentioned T-BHP meet. So lets say you don't even go for family gatherings/functions where there are smokers is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I don't think he has a choice regarding what he inhales when he is in a group of people. He mentioned his issues and i think it's perfectly fine for somebody to avoid a company that gives physical discomfort.
Apt and makes more sense than saying that a t-bhp meet has obnoxious gases .
Old 29th May 2008, 13:27   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Yaa you wish .

No-one stopped you from doing that. You have every right to express your thoughts. I replied was only coz you mentioned T-BHP meet. So lets say you don't even go for family gatherings/functions where there are smokers is it ?

Apt and makes more sense than saying that a t-bhp meet has obnoxious gases .
Fortunately, I havent had to face a situation where family gatherings are filled with cugarette smoke. None of my family members smoke and even if they do, they are in a minority and dont when they are with others.

Secondly, I still do maintian that a T-BHP meet has noxious gases. I am no one to tell the smokers to stop smoking, but facts are facts. If most people are ok with it, good for them.

Again, this is my personal viewpoint and maybe my bad luck. That is all. Maybe all meets dont have a majority of members smoking.

I really dont understand why you are so offended. Swalpa chill maadi .

I mentioned T-bhp meets because it is related to the forum. Why will I mention about some party I went to with my friends ?

Anyway, I think it's useless for us to continue arguing.

On a final note, I would say that while one part of me does resent people who smoke (yes, that includes my friends on T-bhp and elsewhere), I understand that to a large extent, it is the person's free will and there isnt a damn thing I can do. I might lose out on spending time with my friends, but then that is a choice I am making.

@Riju -- No offense meant to you or anyone on T-bhp mate.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 29th May 2008 at 13:34.
Old 28th June 2008, 16:31   #215
BHPian

has anybody tried to quit smoking thru this

Welcome to Electronic Cigarette, Super Cigarette, Electronic Cigarette, E Cigarette, SPK, World No Tobacco Day, Healthier Smoking, No Cancer, No Tar, Save Money, Quit Smoking, Eco Friendly, No Pollution, Non Flammable

i feel that it might work.

Mansi

P.s - i am not trying to promote this company but just sharing it because it might help somebody who is trying to quit.
Old 30th June 2008, 13:24   #216
Senior - BHPian

Recently there was a risk chart in the Journal of National Cancer Institute (JNCI). This is for US deaths, but the risks are almost the same everywhere for humans. This was widely reported. The chart is here (I am a former smoker, off since Dec 2006, after a previous failed attempt, quit between Jan-Oct 05).

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-pages-risk-chart-smokers-june2008.jpg
Old 30th June 2008, 14:38   #217
Senior - BHPian

I have also quit smoking ..... well not exactly quit but "no ciggy in 2008" lol

well it is to prove someone wrong, who says i am addicated to it ...... its been 8 days and no ciggys

i was smoking since 2nd year of engineering, well its 5 years but i have not smoked for 1-2 months in this period for 4-5 times, and some times more than 10 a day ...... but for past 2 years it was continuous, so quitting for a change now hehe

PS: i have also stopped drinking carbonated drinks , my friends are like WTH lol ....... ciggy i don't know but for pepsi i was addicated and in past 1 month i have taken only 2 diet pepsi cans

Last edited by Rahulkool : 30th June 2008 at 14:41.
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:01   #218
BHPian

Personally, i believe the anti-smoking products are just a marketing gimmick used to sell products, they dont help in anyway. A friend of mine started using nicotine gum and he still had the urge of smoking. The only way to quit is to make up your mind once and for all. For some people they will have to reduce smoking in a step by step manner, reduce each day/week and finally quit. For some they just quit, thought complete in a second to quit and they just quit. As for me, i have been smoking since my 11th grade, thats like 9yrs back, i had managed to quit out of the blue for about 6months. Now i am planning to quit again, for the sake of my family. I dont want to reduce or do it with alternative medication or syringes or gum, just do it. I am taking my familys health to be a reason to quit. Unfortunately i neither have a gf or wife(i really feel lucky..no nagging...heheheheh) to keep nagging about the habit, but i have made up my mind to quit. It will be better if someone gives you moral support or some sort of motivation to keep yourself from touching another stick. I read somewhere that it helps to drink water when you have the urge of smoking and also try to concentrate of something else. I would rather spend the same money on fuel and burn more tyres rather than my lungs. Now that i am with TBhp, i should be quitting soon.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:37   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool
well it is to prove someone wrong, who says i am addicated to it.
hate to say it, but that someone is right. Given your smoking pattern, you are addicted. Ofcourse, wish you the best to quit the habit and come clean.

Quitting smoking is one of the toughest things to do. And I really admire those that can do it and stay away from tobacco for life.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:42   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Quitting smoking is one of the toughest things to do. And I really admire those that can do it and stay away from tobacco for life.
Not for everyone SB, I have found reducing weight to be much much tougher.

Not going out with your smoking friends for 2 weeks will help a great deal, especially if you love smoking in the company of your friends.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:55   #221
Senior - BHPian

Ha, to each his own then, I think. Because I never had a problem with weight or with reducing it.

I smoke alone, so there is nothing like avoiding smoking-friends. I am attempting to quit smoking for the last 3 days and overcoming the temptation is so much effort that sometimes I just think of giving in and getting over with it.

Have held on for some 64 hours now, but there is no way (atleast yet) I can guarantee that I can hold on.
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:10   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Ha, to each his own then, I think. Because I never had a problem with weight or with reducing it.

I smoke alone, so there is nothing like avoiding smoking-friends. I am attempting to quit smoking for the last 3 days and overcoming the temptation is so much effort that sometimes I just think of giving in and getting over with it.

Have held on for some 64 hours now, but there is no way (atleast yet) I can guarantee that I can hold on.
It progressively becomes easier day by day, so hang in there for another 3 days, and you'll do just fine.
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:17   #223
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. That's what I am targetting too. Let's see how it goes.
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:19   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hate to say it, but that someone is right. Given your smoking pattern, you are addicted. Ofcourse, wish you the best to quit the habit and come clean.

yup thats right SB

anyways its been more than 10 days i guess and no ciggys till date , even i didn't felt the urge to smoke when my friends were smoking in front of me , i think i have finally quit smoking but can't wait for 1 Jan 2009 , will smoke one that day for sure hehe
Old 15th July 2008, 23:07   #225
Senior - BHPian

I am myself a smoker for the last 14 years. Have been smoking since the age of 14.
Have tried few times in the past to quit. All i ended up doing was smoke more in number.
Got married a year back and smoking has become a prime (and probably the only) subject of arguments between my wife and me. Due to this I have stopped smoking in my balcony.
But now I strongly feel I should quit to avoid any further damage to my Kidneys (Though I wonder whats left, since I have been a chain smoker for the last 10 years). But its never too late.

@novatekcorp: Tried reducing the numbers in past, but it dint work for me. After all my tries in past, all I have realised is that, for me, the best way to quit is to quit immediately. Reducing the numbers wont work.
What I would like to know is the ways to overcome the temptations. What I have thought of doing to make myself strong is to go along with my colleages who smoke and avoid smoking. I will take it as a challenge.

Came across this article. Saw it as an advertisement on TV. Should help. Though taking medicines to quit is not something I would do, but still, those who would like to go for it, this should be a useful resource.
http://www.champsclub.in/pdf/new/UnbrandedPEL.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks