Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2009, 03:14   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There's no quitting smoking. I've realized that, sadly enough.
It's Easy! I did it lots of times.

Only once did it turn out to be pretty tough, but that was the last time I did it. Now I don't need to ever again <Smug Smile>.

I'm with Guite... there's nothing like a sharp shock and a dose of fear to motivate one!
Old 18th October 2009, 21:02   #347
BHPian

For those who make the effort to try and quit - here's something I learnt when I quit.

Sometimes the resolve breaks and after a couple of days or even a couple of months, you may have a couple of drags or a full cigarette. It happened to me 6 months after I quit. But don't take that as a sign that you aren't meant to quit smoking and go back to it. Just consider it a minor blip and stop again.

Like anything else that's hard to do, it takes persistent effort. Lapsing once or twice is still better than going back to regular smoking.
Old 18th October 2009, 21:15   #348
Senior - BHPian

Ok, think of this.

What happens whe you feed in the exhaust gases of your car again into the airfilter ?. Your Engine Life reduces, Your Air Filter chokes and your performance is getting a hit very badly.

Same thing happens when you smoke.

Now dont tell me that it actually acts as a Turbo and improves your performance
Old 18th October 2009, 22:39   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
For those who make the effort to try and quit - here's something I learnt when I quit.

Sometimes the resolve breaks and after a couple of days or even a couple of months, you may have a couple of drags or a full cigarette. It happened to me 6 months after I quit. But don't take that as a sign that you aren't meant to quit smoking and go back to it. Just consider it a minor blip and stop again.

Like anything else that's hard to do, it takes persistent effort. Lapsing once or twice is still better than going back to regular smoking.
I think I had my very last cigarette about three weeks into being a non smoker. I remembered one under a chair, and my brain wouldn't let me go until I fished it out and smoked it. It was dry and disgusting! But, my agreement with myself, on the understanding that the decision to give up was absolute and irrevocable, whatever, was that, for the first week or two only, I'd allow myself the odd one in a day.

Possibly part of the secret was using the nicotine patches: It meant that cigarette smoke did not giev me that knock-out nicotine high that the first one for over 24 hrs would give. It meant that smoking became an anti-climax, and I really couldn't see why I should bother.

It was the decision, prompted by fear, that did it. The patches took the edge off it and made it easier.
Old 18th October 2009, 22:44   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Ok, think of this.

What happens whe you feed in the exhaust gases of your car again into the airfilter ?. Your Engine Life reduces, Your Air Filter chokes and your performance is getting a hit very badly.

Same thing happens when you smoke.

Now dont tell me that it actually acts as a Turbo and improves your performance
@ Mi10: You know what? Cars actually do that - using the system called exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). But the human body isn't made of metal, that's the problem.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:35   #351
BHPian

Hello Seniors,

I'm smoking since when I was 23. Now, I'm 30. I'm serving an MNC. Have a kid and wife. Smoke around 1 Pack (10 cig) per day.
Tried many times to quite. But, to no outcome. Still in office at this hour (1:30 AM).

Last week, one lady died at our office of throat cancer, due to chain smoking. Colleagues kept 2 minutes mum for the departing soul.

See her working table (Pod), everytime I cross that lane in office.
I too want to quite, but everytime, I say "just take one puff" and continue.
I know, everybody out here, will tell me to quite smoking NOW. But, HOW SHOULD I DO IT IN A RIGHT WAY?? I feel pressure in everyday life. Work pressure, deadlines, home, commitments, bills, gas. Everytime, every moment there some sort of expectation from me. My wife, my kid, my boss, my work, my colleagues, my image, achieving deadlines, fulfilling commitments.
I fill a bil relaxed when I take a puff. I know, it has some adverse affect on my health. And, it has done some damage and I seriously want to quit.
But, HOW??

Dev_Kudle
Old 19th October 2009, 02:23   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
But, HOW SHOULD I DO IT IN A RIGHT WAY?? I feel pressure in everyday life. Work pressure, deadlines, home, commitments, bills, gas. Everytime, every moment there some sort of expectation from me. My wife, my kid, my boss, my work, my colleagues, my image, achieving deadlines, fulfilling commitments.
I fill a bil relaxed when I take a puff.
Dev, If you need inspiration, look at millions of others who face the same challenges and they don't smoke to relax. these are a part of life and will remain to be, the cheap relaxation you are getting is really not that cheap.

I have never smoked, so I don't know what it takes to quit, but a shock as some have described works. You seem to have gotten it already. Are you ready to leave your family the same way a few years later? just because of the thrill you get in smoking?
Old 19th October 2009, 02:31   #353
BHPian

I used to smoke about 2 packets a day.Stopped smoking for past 1.5 years.I took a pledge to stop smoking and i did not even reduce smoking.Just stopped it one fine day.Spirituality,health consciousness,support from people around you all helps.Try developing an addiction for Dark chocolate.Another tip is to change your routine.Smoking is attached to some particulare places and situations.If possible try avoiding that particular place or the situation.Drink lots of coffee.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:32   #354
BHPian

This is what i followed and worked pretty good for me.. Dont try to stop it immediately. Make a note of how much cigarette you are taking per day. Reduce the quantity one by one slowly. Let your body adjust gradually, like how you started.. Make it slow and steady.. There goes your smoking habit. :-)

This is from my experience. This is how i managed to stop my more than 15 year old habit and i dont feel the urge to smoke anymore.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:48   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post

This is from my experience. This is how i managed to stop my more than 15 year old habit and i dont feel the urge to smoke anymore.

Guys,

What do you do when you feel the urge?? When you are alone and feel the urge?? When you are alone and feel the urge and have cigarettes with you??

Don't mind, as I'm asking these silly questions. But, the answers will help me surely.

dev_Kudle
Old 19th October 2009, 10:26   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

What do you do when you feel the urge?? When you are alone and feel the urge?? When you are alone and feel the urge and have cigarettes with you??

Don't mind, as I'm asking these silly questions. But, the answers will help me surely.

dev_Kudle
I actually have 3 full packets on Marlboro in my house.
They have been in the same place for more than a year and half now.

I look at them as my victory trophy.
If I ever smoke them they are gone and I dont want to loose my trophy.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:30   #357
Senior - BHPian

I started after quitting for more than 2 years, I quit again now - hope I can stay away from it .

dev_kudle, have you thought of changing your job ? I mean working at 1:30 am - that's really stressful and prones you towards further smoking.
Old 19th October 2009, 12:03   #358
BHPian

Smokers please excuse

Got these in my mail.

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00137.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00140.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00143.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00146.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00149.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00152.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00155.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00161.jpg
Name:  ATT00164.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  41.5 KB
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00170.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00173.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00179.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00182.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00188.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00185.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00191.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00194.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00197.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00203.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00209.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00212.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00218.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00221.jpg
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00227.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00230.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00233.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-att00239.jpg  

Old 19th October 2009, 12:26   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Seniors,

I'm smoking since when I was 23. Now, I'm 30. I'm serving an MNC. Have a kid and wife. Smoke around 1 Pack (10 cig) per day.
Tried many times to quite. But, to no outcome. Still in office at this hour (1:30 AM).

Last week, one lady died at our office of throat cancer, due to chain smoking. Colleagues kept 2 minutes mum for the departing soul.

See her working table (Pod), everytime I cross that lane in office.
I too want to quite, but everytime, I say "just take one puff" and continue.
I know, everybody out here, will tell me to quite smoking NOW. But, HOW SHOULD I DO IT IN A RIGHT WAY?? I feel pressure in everyday life. Work pressure, deadlines, home, commitments, bills, gas. Everytime, every moment there some sort of expectation from me. My wife, my kid, my boss, my work, my colleagues, my image, achieving deadlines, fulfilling commitments.
I fill a bil relaxed when I take a puff. I know, it has some adverse affect on my health. And, it has done some damage and I seriously want to quit.
But, HOW??

Dev_Kudle
I wish I could reach out to you and explain my situation in the hope it inspires you. I smoked for 28/29 years and when I quit more than a year and a half ago I was smoking 40 cigarettes a day. Let me give you my take on this subject one by one but the order in which they are written means nothing.

1. Don't think too much about quitting. Smoking is such a dear part of our persona that it makes us feel sad to think of quitting. Just quit one fine day without thinking about it. Just do it. If you fail fine. You will try again.
2. There is no universal "right way" of doing it. Different things work for different people. But cold turkey is supposed to be the most successful method. That is - just quit and don't smoke again not even a puff - come what may. Be prepared to live through hell for about a week but always remember there is hope at the end of the dark tunnel.
3. Don't shift the addiction to something else. Like, I found chewing chicklets worsened the craving in me. I used to drink water. I would also go out on a long walk in the height of summer. Moving aimlessly on the streets. If necessary go on a long holiday for a week or so to a deep forest.
4. De-link smoking from each activity that you used to associate with smoking - individually and one by one. This is the most difficult part. For example, you are associating smoking with de-stressing. It is the worst myth. This association is in our mind. Try to get rid of it. These myths are created by society (I guess aided by cigarette companies). Detective novels link smoking with intellectual activity of the mind. This is just a load of bull. De-link smoking from the morning nature call. There is no connection between the two. They are all in our mind. I used to associate virtually all human activity and states of mind with smoking. I needed a cig if I woke up. I needed a cig if I needed to go to sleep. I needed a cig if the road was empty and smooth and I needed a cig when I was in a traffic jam.
5. If possible get a smoker friend to quit alongwith you. The two of you can support each other in times of crisis when every cell in the body wants a puff.
6. Avoid people who have never smoked and are full of gyan. They have no idea about the strength of the nicotine demon.
7. Don't be scared of failure. If you fail, try again.
8. Remember one important thing - it is not that we love smoking. We just dislike the pangs of not smoking. That's why we smoke.
Old 19th October 2009, 12:28   #360
Senior - BHPian

If the above post does not shock you, the video below hopefully should.

Most Viewed