Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2006, 21:04   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Actually a pretty decent Topic Surprise.

I haven't smoked ever. Nor i ever will. Smoking has ill effects, we all know that, but somehow, anything that gives us pleasure, it is difficult to give up. Thats human nature.
Unfortunately, some teenagers think that smoking is "cool". Its not cool, but its rather foolish. I say this because i have had some horrible, and i mean horrible memories of people developing diseases in my society. One of them was just 21 when he died of Lung cancer. And god damn.. i saw him dying..

The thing is, smoking effects everybody differently. Some people seem to get no complications whatsoever even if they smoke for their whole lifetime. Whereas there are others who develop complications very early. Even the so called "filtered" ciggerates are not going to protect your lungs.

The thing is to understand that a ciggerate was not made for mankind by nature. It is not a natural product, like fruits, vegetables etc. Anything un-natural can have complications.

Sorry for sounding a bit serious, but believe it or not, it is a very serious issue. Those who are smokers here, i pray that they somehow quit. Those who havnt touched it, please keep away from it as far as possible. There are other methods of pleasure.

Unfortunately people don't ever think anything can happen to them. It only happens to "other" people.

I know a lot of people here will come up with replies like "Who the hell are you to tell us to stop smoking! It is our personal choice". But people must understand, that this evil is much more than, "personal choice".

P.S. Mods, feel free to delete my post, if it sounds distasteful.
agree wid you these days kids feel its cool to smoke and drink. no problems wid me coz nor do i smoke neither do i drink.
yeah have bacardi breezer occasionally but i dont think it harms us in any way
Old 17th January 2006, 23:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
agree wid you these days kids feel its cool to smoke and drink. no problems wid me coz nor do i smoke neither do i drink.
yeah have bacardi breezer occasionally but i dont think it harms us in any way
breezer has a verrry mild shot of liquor.. like eating a liquer chocolate..
absolutely no harm...

I do not have that either...
Old 18th January 2006, 10:34   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My case is simple : I love my Marlboros. And dont want to quit.

GTO
Old 18th January 2006, 10:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Our Team-Bhp strength is in excess of 4000 members. There are a lot of smokers among these numbers & many out of them would be thinking to quit smoking/consider the same moving upon this thread. Our members doing a great job in sharing their opinion/experiences on lot of things in various topics

If you successfully quit smoking, please share your experience and sucess story in this thread which will help other members who are already thinking in those lines. I felt that personal experience and tips would help one a lot rather than the info available on websites.
TBHP is free to comment on my vehicles, driving skills (or lack of them) and other related matters including gadgets and other stuff discussed on separate forums.

Whether I smoke or not is however a personal issue. The only people qualified to comment on that aspect are the two members of my immediate family. Your intentions may be good, but you cant be more bothered about my health than my family. There are a lot of other vices in the world today - no amount of pure-heart lectures from a 3rd party can help someone overcome his vice. He has to do so himself.

End of discussion.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th January 2006 at 10:44.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
TBHP is free to comment on my vehicles, driving skills (or lack of them) and other related matters including gadgets and other stuff discussed on separate forums.

Whether I smoke or not is however a personal issue. The only people qualified to comment on that aspect are the two members of my immediate family. Your intentions may be good, but you cant be more bothered about my health than my family. There are a lot of other vices in the world today - no amount of pure-heart lectures from a 3rd party can help someone overcome his vice. He has to do so himself.

End of discussion.
Sorry if i had written anything wrong. I intented this post for the one's who are thinking in the lines of quitting smoke & not to question "why do u smoke, quit it". If I failed to communicate clearly, I apologize.
I did started smoking at the age of 16 & doing it for the past 16 yrs with atleast 5 breaks. The max break is for 1.5 yrs that was the last in 2000 (minimum break was 2 weeks). Everytime it flashes in my mind & all of sudden I stop smoking. But it takes off when I go out with my friends & it continues. Even now i smoke & I found lot of smokers agree that they want quit smoking. A friend of mine said an interesting story on how he achieved it.

Everytime he quits smoke, the urge to smoke pumps up & he goes mad. So he decided to do step by step.

He smokes 15 cigs per day & as a first step he cut down 2 cig per day for one week. From there he constantly brought the numbers down. He says he had a very very tough time in getting the numbers down after he was able to achieve 8 cigar per day. From there it took 5-6 months for him to cut down the numbers to half & another 3 months to completely quit smoking.

He says the challenge is to constantly keep yourself remainded your task. Also agreed there may be ups and downs, but we need to bounce back. He has completed 4 yrs as non smoker & still over confidence does not get into his head. He says "one puff is enough to give birth to a chain smoker".
Old 18th January 2006, 11:39   #51
BHPian

When wills classic miles will stop manufacturing i'll quit smoking

______

My 100th Post

Last edited by IndianDawg : 18th January 2006 at 11:41.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

well - guys

yeah smoking is a personal issue and what i think is -

even a nagging Gf/wife , or photos of cancer stricken people due to smoking will not get anyone leave unless THE PERSON HIMSELF WANTS TO.

its all in the mind - you have a strong enough mind once you have decided to quit , you will else be back to your smoking

I just quit one day - just like that , threw away the stick and decided to quit and I suceeded.
Old 18th January 2006, 11:46   #53
Team-BHP Support

I say keep smoking you guys...motorsports needs the funds!
Old 18th January 2006, 11:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Well, what i heard is that its not the tobacco thats the real culprit in a cigarette. Its the burning paper in which its wrapped. Thats why all those chewing gums n tobacco patches that are supposed to help u quit smoking contain some amount of nicotine in them. Though the addictive nature of nicotine is undeniable.
Anyways, u get only one life... so screw it!

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 18th January 2006, 17:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I say keep smoking you guys...motorsports needs the funds!

A couple of thousand BHPians stop smoking..it isnt going to harm Motorsports... We got plenty of other countries from where they can raise funds.
Old 18th January 2006, 17:43   #56
BHPian

I have smoked a pack of Miles, but thats it...not going to smoke ever again....hopefully :(
Old 18th January 2006, 19:16   #57
BHPian

[quote=adit1329]I never started smoking, never will and never will advise someone to start.

Forgot to mention, nor advise anyone to stop, as each and everyone knows their preferences..
Old 18th January 2006, 19:21   #58
BHPian

Wanna be agony uncles & aunts...lets stop discussion on this !!
Whilst I appreciate the good Intentions behind the thread...this is the wrong forum for the discussion..

Air pollution through Automobiles & impact on Global Warming can be discussed in detail though !!
Old 18th January 2006, 19:31   #59
BHPian

This anti smoking thingy is growing to alarming proportions in the world nowadays.

I have to go to a bl**dy toilet to have a smoke sometimes.
Old 19th January 2006, 10:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

actually, it will be nice to know how each of us got introduced and then addicted to it.

feel free not to reply if you don't want to reveal.

at least youngsters will learn something out of these experiences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks