Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 11:21   #616
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (12)
Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Found an interesting link to help 'quit smoking'!

clock_final
Old 27th December 2010, 15:15   #617
Senior - BHPian

guys,

after over 8 years of regular smoking (read : not chain smoking), average 5 to 6 a day. I quit smoking in the mid of October and been almost 2 months now and not had a single smoke. I even avoid hukkas now so that the smoke instinct doesn't wake up

it feels good.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:56   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
At the risk of sounding like a MCP, I would like to mention that I find the occasional sightings of Indian women smoking the most disturbing.
MCP indeed. Why do you you find men smoking any less disturbing? there are good reasons people turn to smoking, here is an observation from my blog

Quote:
Now another point I have realized is smoking seems to have a positive effect on people too. And I am not surprised. When somebody says that smoking helps them think and perform better, I can actually believe them. One, because I know nicotine is a stimulant, although it's addictive and temporary and other chemicals in the fume are responsible for cancer and what not. But when I think of it, taking a break every1-2 hours is the best one can do for any job that requires intense brainstorming.

For an example, earlier my lunch breaks used to be longer since I went home to eat. Now that I have moved a little farther and eat my home made lunch at my seat, I seem to be missing the break that used to stimulate by brain cells. sometimes I tried to take short breaks but it's really difficult to do it regularly.

And in sharp contrast, I have seen smokers taking a break every 1-2 hours very religiously and I really envy them for being able to do that. I used to accompany my friends sometimes (without actually smoking) and this had very similar effects as drinking (psychological. sociological, professional bonding etc). I wish there was something as addictive as nicotine that could pull me out of my seat a few times a day into the open air outside no matter what (sunshine, snow, or rain), without any harmful effect as the cigarette has.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:14   #619
BHPian

Johnson & Johnson will be launching Nicorette (chewing gum form) in India on 1st Jan 2011.

This should help!!

Johnson & Johnson Launches Nicorette® Gum to Prevent you from Smoking | India Mag
Old 28th December 2010, 12:27   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Johnson & Johnson will be launching Nicorette (chewing gum form) in India on 1st Jan 2011.

This should help!!

Johnson & Johnson Launches Nicorette® Gum to Prevent you from Smoking | India Mag
NO.

If you want to quit and are serious about quitting, QUIT.

You don't need any crutches to cross this line.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:38   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@bblost-

I had a close shave last week. We were away at a company offsite and the pleasant company and general high spirits triggered a desperate urge to light up. Just one, I told myself, I'll be fine after that. THANKFULLY, they were only selling by the half-pack at the bar and there weren't any other smokers in the group. Took some deep breaths and drank a lot of water. In the morning I said a silent prayer and realised how difficult this fight is going to be. My 6 month anniversary comes up in 2 weeks time and it's gonna be even sweeter knowing I could have lost it all in an instant!

Mate this happened to me umpteen times and more often than not I give up for the temptation, that single one haunts me again for quite some months.

I smoke 1-2 per day and find the temptation hard to resist, bless the souls who smoke much more and want to quit.

By the way, I decided to quit from new year and stopped much before (3 weeks) and I really hope this goes on for ever!!
Old 28th December 2010, 12:42   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

3 days to the new year and this time I am really excited because it has some significance for me.

I quit smoking on June 13th this year. Six and a half months nicotine-free, and it feels awesome. But the real thrill will be on 31st December 2011 (a year from now). That will mark the first calendar year of my life smoke-free since 1995.

Holy smokes. Puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Life is too precious to blow away in rings. Wise up before it's too late.

Happy New Year.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:06   #623
BHPian

I stopped Liquor, Non Veg &.. in New Year of 2001, quit Smoking in the New Year of 2003, stopped taking Onion & Garlic in the New Year of 2005.

Out of all the above, i was ADDICTED only to smoking. It was tough but managed. My frequency was minimum 10 B&H Lights a day.

Just calculated saved couple of Lacs by quitting all the above.

I believe - as you go up the ladder of age, all negative addictions should go down.

I am happy that i followed what i believed.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:42   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
NO.

If you want to quit and are serious about quitting, QUIT.

You don't need any crutches to cross this line.
True. and yet...

Don't feel bad about it if the crutches help. I used nicotine patches, and it took a lot of the pain out of the experience for me.

They keep your blood nicotine levels just above the level at which craving sets in, but nowhere near the level of getting a hit from the stuff. Each step to a lower dose patch you feel a little bit, but are adjusted within a day or so. I didn't fully complete my course, because a week or two from the end of it I realised that I had forgotten to apply a patch for the last couple of days, so I just stopped there. The final step was that that easy!

First and foremost, I could never have done it without will. Nothing is going to give up smoking for you. Making an absolute, irrevocable decision is what counts; anything else is just a helping hand along the way.

I don't know how the pricing will work here. In UK, patches are as expensive as smoking. I suppose it has to be that way so people don't use it as a cheap nicotine source.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:07   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
I stopped taking Onion & Garlic in the New Year of 2005.

Just calculated saved couple of Lacs by quitting all the above.

What made you quit the Onions!? Did you foresee the future?
Old 5th January 2011, 22:42   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
What made you quit the Onions!? Did you foresee the future?
Oh! i forgot to add the real escalated onion price - saved more than i calculated

jokes apart, i took 'Guru Mantra' in Dec, 2000 - with Guru Mantra, one should quit / avoid all the above.

It W'really feels good to have pure body.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:13   #627
BHPian

I could crack a few "off the onion" jokes here, but this is not really the place!

As Thad said earlier, the nicotine addiction is reputed to be quite strong, ranking with alcohol and heroin as the substances most likely to cause relapse by those kicking the habit.
One could hardly say the same about onions and garlic.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:59   #628
Senior - BHPian

I have posted here earlier, many months or even a year ago about having kicked the habit for more than 25 years, and how I did it.
Recently I was out at a party, lovely music, great atmosphere, many old buddies around, it was like a reunion. The atmosphere was sentimental, some of the buddies were those who used to bum cigies of me. And many of them were still sucking these sticks of joy. After a while I also got sucked in, and my nightmare began. I lit up!! And then.........

I woke up.

The thing is that this little paper stick has so much power, that even after more than 26 years of stop, the stick can still come back in your dreams, give you a nightmare and then you wake up. I wonder if non-smokers who never indulged in this ever have such nightmares.
And one thing is sure, give up at one go, reducing the number is not of great help, and manage side effects if any properly.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 15th January 2011 at 16:04.
Old 15th January 2011, 16:06   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh yes!

After so long, that is amazing, but still, I'm not surprised.

In one of my best having-given-up dreams, I was telling somebody that I had given up smoking. They said, "What's that, then?" --- and pointed to the lit cigarette in my hand, that I was taking puffs from!

Just once in a while, I find my mental house-leaving check going, "keys, purse, glasses, tobacco... eh?"
Old 15th January 2011, 19:02   #630
Senior - BHPian

Having been a chain smoker, I can say that it takes a herculean effort to resist smoking. It is not a one off thing but an ongoing effort. the worst occasions that one is tempted are:
- at the katta/ tapri/ adda
- while at the pub.
- immediately after a meal
- waiting somewhere for someone, you have a few minutes to kill
imho, if your resolve is weakening or challenged by temptation, you can equate it with something that you dont really like (your inlaws or relatives commenting on it?!). it could prevent you from picking up the bait!

Last edited by bblost : 16th January 2011 at 14:22. Reason: Rule #11. No direct or indirect references allowed anywhere. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks