Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 12:40   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy
it has also resulted in a lot of savings!! I did not know that I was spending so much on smoke
Indeed quite some savings.

Crossed 3 weeks now. The 1st 10 days were OK - I had thought those would be the toughest. But the next 10 were bad - cravings set in like crazy - add some changes at work (though not directly involving me) and it took all my effort to stay away. Was crazy. As said, this is a lifetime task.

@Andy & OHCVtec, congrats on kicking the butt!!!
I had also woved that I would stop smoking the day my son (Aman) was born. But learnt that this is not something you can plan, set a date and do.
Before that, I had decided I would quit on my wedding day. Things worked till 11AM, but just before leaving home for the church, I rushed to the terrace and smoked. :-)
Now, when we are expecting our 2nd kid (a girl, we hope) some 3 weeks down, I would have finally made it.

@athalaga : Yes, workouts do help - I have restarted my walk/exercise routine and it helps set in place a "I-am-feeling-alive-and-healthy feel, so why should I embrace this unhealthy habit ?" thought-process, which would help us stay away. Also drinking water helps.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th July 2011 at 12:58.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:47   #707
BHPian

I quit on January 21, 2011 after 17 years of smoking. Cold Turkey,
I guess I started hating it so much it was much easier to quit. Love the clean feeling mouth.

what helped me along was.
cardio, working out and drinking a lot of fluids.
Oil pulling.
Honey and lemon on an empty stomach in the morning.(also helps during the throat itchiness)

these things helped ease the urge. Once you clear three days, it gets much easier, then it is just will power.

HATE IT TO LEAVE IT.
Old 7th August 2011, 22:44   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And those who never smoked would not understand what the big deal is about quitting smoking.
And they need not.
Why do a mistake in the first place and then mend it. I agree hostels, colleges are the prime reasons. But one has to be determined enough to stay away from smoking. I believe it is a lot easier than quitting.

As per medical science it is not you but your blood/body that needs it. So obviously you have very little to do.

My point: Those who havent smoked never try it. NEVER.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 17:15   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
I quit on January 21, 2011 after 17 years of smoking. Cold Turkey,
(...)
what helped me along was.
cardio, working out and drinking a lot of fluids.
Oil pulling.
Honey and lemon on an empty stomach in the morning.(also helps during the throat itchiness)
perhaps but I just had to ask: what on earth is "oil pulling"?

@oxyzen: you should never smoke, anyway. Inflammable and all you know!
Kidding aside, that's great advice. Non-smokers who start late are the ones I get most frustrated at!

Last edited by noopster : 8th August 2011 at 17:16.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:47   #710
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, serious question to all those who say they have successfully quit smoking.

its been 3 days, and i am feeling sort of dryness in my lips and just feel like drinking something.

its only lunch and i have finished 2 litre bottle already.

Is this normal and have you guys also felt it.

2nd Question, the teeth of all smokers go a bit pale, will they get white again after quitting???

thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 17:52   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sunny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
its been 3 days, and i am feeling sort of dryness in my lips and just feel like drinking something.

I don't think so but drinking water is a common (and healthy substitute for the cancer stick . It's possible that since you don't go for smoke breaks now and then you are spending more time in an AC environment which could account for the dryness?

Quote:
2nd Question, the teeth of all smokers go a bit pale, will they get white again after quitting???
No way! The yellowing/browning is because of tar deposits on the enamel of your teeth. You will need to get your teeth cleaned ("scaled") at a dentist's. I am toying with the idea of artificially whitening my teeth as well, since it's been over a year that I've smoked.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:30   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
And they need not. Why do a mistake in the first place and then mend it.
I think you misunderstood. I did not (and would never) mean that non-smokers should try smoking to understand how tough it is to quit. What I meant is, non-smokers (esp the women-folk - mom, sis, wife, colleagues etc) just don't understand what is involved in quitting. They think all one has to do is make a decision to quit and that's it. The cravings, the agony etc - would be known only to the guy who is quitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001
its been 3 days, and i am feeling sort of dryness in my lips and just feel like drinking something. its only lunch and i have finished 2 litre bottle already. Is this normal and have you guys also felt it.
No idea whether it is normal to feel thirsty, but just go ahead and drink that water/juice/soda - it can't be anyway as bad as nicotine. Regarding the teeth, even if they dont get white, atleast no more muck (tar) will accumulate if you quit smoking.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th August 2011 at 18:31.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:50   #713
BHPian

FWIW heavy tea/coffee drinkers get the exact yellowing of teeth.

It freaked my dentist out because she thought it was tea/coffee (didn't get the smell of nicotine since I had quit six years before visiting her), and it was way over what any sane amount of coffee could do in two decades. Scaling restores the original tooth colour fully.

The thirst is normal. The water really, really helps. It was my single most important tool to quit. Lots of loo trips is the only 'harmful' side effect.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:14   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I think you misunderstood. I did not (and would never) mean that non-smokers should try smoking to understand how tough it is to quit. What I meant is, non-smokers (esp the women-folk - mom, sis, wife, colleagues etc) just don't understand what is involved in quitting. They think all one has to do is make a decision to quit and that's it. The cravings, the agony etc - would be known only to the guy who is quitting.
I know you did not mean that. Someone who had to quit smoking would never mean that. if my language was a bit confusing. I just wanted to add that no one should try it as a challenge. (As you had quoted quitting smoking is a huge challenge. Which is in-fact very true)
Old 8th August 2011, 19:24   #715
BHPian

Been two weeks and one day since "I kicked the butt". It was not really that difficult to quit as I thought it would be, but its the craving after a few days that requires all your self control.

Feels wonderfully great, doing an additional 4 kms on the treadmill, walking up the stairs is easier and smell and taste sensations seem to be at optimum levels now.

Got to see how long I can stick to staying away from the "stick that has fire on one end and a fool at the other"
Old 8th August 2011, 23:59   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I've always wondered that. I've even seen it on posters.
Old 9th August 2011, 07:08   #717
BHPian

Quote:

@oxyzen: you should never smoke, anyway. Inflammable and all you know!
Kidding aside, that's great advice. Non-smokers who start late are the ones I get most frustrated at!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Ok guys, serious question to all those who say they have successfully quit smoking.

thanks

@Noop : You might want to read up on oilpulling here : Oil Pulling, Wonderful Therapy, An Ancient Ayurvedic Method for Great Health

@SimplySunny : I felt the thirst too for the initial few days and my substitute for the ciggy was chewing gum . I got lots and lots of orbit and happy dent , I liked happy dent but since its not sugar free I preferred orbit which is sugar free . After about a month or so you wont feel like having chewing gum too . Now I eat a gum once in a while and have been ciggy free for a long time .
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 12:57   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Oil Pulling:

In the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon of the oil in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing.

The recommended oils to use are Sunflower Oil, Seasme Oil.

This became very popular in India few years ago. Do not hear / read about it so much now a days.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 17:09   #719
Senior - BHPian

Confession - I need help:

Firstly, my apologies for the long rant.

The reason I am posting here is the same as everyone else's. I want to quit smoking and I want to do it now.

I think I started smoking when I was 14. I started off slow. For the 1st year or so, I smoked no more than 2 sticks a day, which later increased to 10. Just out of the blue, 1 day I decided to quit smoking and did not smoke for about 3 years ....... just like that.

And just like that, started smoking again. A colleague casually offered me a cigarette and I simply took the cigarette from him. Like it was the most natural thing for me to do, like a reflex action. In a week's time, I was up to round 8 cigs a day which in a matter of mere months went up to 15. But I dint care. It was fun. I was not smoking to look cool or prove a point but simply beacuse I really really!!!!!! enjoyed it. Things would go completely out of hand when I went out for a round of drinks with my buddies. 25, 30, 40 ...... I dont know. I lost count. I just know that the pack of 20 smokes that I bought was not enough. People asked me for a stick or 2 and so did I. With all this "Sharing and caring", I would just lose count of how many I smoked. Not that I cared anyway.

Fast fwd to 2010, when I got married. We and my wife started dating sometime around mid of 2009. She knew I smoked and never liked it. I did cut down. In fact, sometimes for weeks together, I would not smoke at all. But a visit to a friend's place, or the fantastic weather or just becasue the sun was out became a reason enough for me to "enjoy the moment" by filling my lungs with smoke.

As of today, I am 30 years of age. I have put on weight and am tipping the scales at 86 kgs. My height is 5ft 11in. Last month I got a few tests done, including cholestrol. I cannot remember exactly what it was but something that should not be more than 200 is at 300 for me. No doubt smoking is a big contributor here.

After a lot of hesitation, I am putting this down here for the record. Starting today, I am going to give up smoking. I want to be healthy so that I can enjoy the rest of my "grown up" life. Its been a little over 2 weeks since I started running and cycling and will join the gym soon. In the last couple of weeks, I have lost 2 kgs. It has helped me cut down on my smoking too. But no more of this cutting down business. I am goin to get rid of this for good.

I ask you all for your support, the way you have supported the other members who needed help. I promise you this, I will be honest. If I do falter, I will admit it. Also, I will share my triumphs / milestones with you all too. So do bear with me please. I am very happy to read that many of us have kicked the habit and are enjoying the benefits that come with clean living.

Keep up the good work. Hope to join this tribe of strong willed people. One thing is for sure though. I am ready for this test.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 15th September 2011 at 17:10.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 17:22   #720
BHPian

Wonderful, urban nomad.
I can only pray and wish that you perservere.
Don't overdo the gym thing, it's important you get mild exercise like walking for a couple of months before starting anything strenuous.
Please remember, addiction to cigarettes is as strong as addiction to heroin (read it somewhere), it will call you to just take only one puff, then one more, then just half a cigarette, and so on.
just remember to say no to that one puff, and you'll be fine.
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks