Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 04:16   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm sorry Thad, but this is the first time I haven't got you?!
about animals? Or about the "handle"?

It is said that we Brits love our animals more than our children --- and I think there is some truth in it! <Blush>

Quote:
Much like me. I have an acute lung condition. It's hereditary. And a few years back, it got quite serious, and I found myself in the hospital for a day. I quit for a few weeks after that, but it was only a matter of time before I picked up a cigarette.
In the years before I quit, I don't think I went a single day --- through flu, colds, coughs, even bronchitis. Even if my lungs felt like they were burning even without smoking, somehow I'd manage to do it. Stupid, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It was my 1st "smoke free" month anniversary yesterday. I completely forgot about it, only to be reminded by the "quitnet" mailer. I guess its gradually becoming normal for me not to smoke.
From a song/book/poem/something:
While you are still counting your days since you became free from me, you are not free at all.
Or, something like that. If it wasn't for this thread, I probably wouldn't even think of how long it is since I last smoked.

But, at the beginning, the bigger the number of days, the bigger the pat on the back you (and others) can give yourself. Oh, and congratulations on the first month

Quote:
Wanted to share something with the group though. I have this recurring dream where I am smoking, and almost half way though the cig I blurt out, "OH NO, I had given up smoking. How did I start again?" I then wake up and it takes me a few seconds to realize that it was a dream (yes, the dream feels pretty real). Not sure what to make of it.
Weird, eh? It just shows how deep in the unconscious it gets.

I still very occasionally dream of smoking, but for the first months, it did happen regularly. The oddest, that I remember, was similar to yours: I was smoking a cigarette, and telling a friend that I had given up. She replied, "Given up? What's that then?" And I (as the American teenagers say) was like, "Oh No!" And stubbed it out fast.

Quote:
Totally agree. Its not just a punchline. It really is the truth. I have to say I am a lot more relaxed around smokers now and the urge to smoke has gown down 10 fold. Thanks to you for your support Noop.
I'm not relaxed around smokers: I'm mad around smokers! It makes my eyes sore and my lungs hurt. I wonder how perfectly reasonable, normally considerate, pleasant people can possibly inflict this on others. Then I remember that I used to do it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad
- What do you mean your ID is musical?
You need to have been to mridangam class. Seven beats: Tha, Dhi, Ghi Na Thom.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 18:15   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
about animals? Or about the "handle"?

It is said that we Brits love our animals more than our children --- and I think there is some truth in it! <Blush>
Not the animals. The handle!

[/quote]
You need to have been to mridangam class. Seven beats: Tha, Dhi, Ghi Na Thom.[/quote]

This was the answer I was looking for!

[/quote]

In the years before I quit, I don't think I went a single day --- through flu, colds, coughs, even bronchitis. Even if my lungs felt like they were burning even without smoking, somehow I'd manage to do it. Stupid, eh?

[/quote]

Wow. Now that's what you call an addiction. It's good to see that you've kicked the 'butt' despite going through such a horrid love/hate/can't-do-without-it phase. Phew! I don't want to get there, with all due respect!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 18:19   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not the animals. The handle!
Now you know my secret!

Quote:
Phew! I don't want to get there, with all due respect!
Nobody in their right mind (or anywhere near it) would want to get there, but nobody considers that when they smoke the first few.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 13:23   #799
Senior - BHPian

Last cig was on 11 Oct 2011 at 0730 in the morning. temptation is still around esp on Sunday at home. bit the thought of posting here after one week was the encouragement I needed. Next post at one month hopefully
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 14:10   #800
BHPian

Have any of you experienced things like weight gain or loss, after staying away from smoking for a sufficient period of time?
Old 25th October 2011, 14:29   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Have any of you experienced things like weight gain or loss, after staying away from smoking for a sufficient period of time?
Quitting smoking was a step, I took towards becoming healthier.
So within a few months, I restarted gym. Then I enrolled into aerobics classes.
It was then followed by Yoga classes.

In 2008: My weight at the time of quitting smoking was around a 105 or so.
By 2009 it had started stabilizing into the 100 -+2 range.
If I stopped my exercises, it would reach 102 in 2 months. If I kept some activity, it would be in the 100,

So this year, I bought myself a cycle.

My lungs have sufficiently recovered to let me cycle around 20+ kms everyday.
I currently weigh around 96. This after using the cycle for daily office commutes in July, Sept and October.

So to answer your question. Quitting smoking will not cause weight loss or gain.

BUT
People give up one addiction to replace another.

I chose a healthy life style.

As I just told my friend earlier today, when I am buried, the bacteria will label me healthy food.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 14:36   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

No SIGNIFICANT weight gain attributable to the quitting smoking, though I have let myself slide and the rich food and drink coupled with lack of exercise is showing.

As bblost said, it's the quest for a healthy lifestyle and the next step is around the corner for me. Watch this space!
Old 26th October 2011, 07:22   #803
Senior - BHPian

Well in 3 days i reach a month of quitting unless i take into account the one during a drink i sneaked in. Well i know i know some will curse me as calling me still a smoker but has been quite a month.

For starters i switched to gum. Not nicotine but the normal mint one. Eat around 3-4 a day which curbs my feeling. As Thad mentioned if i really feel like i just roll my palm and take a deep breath through it which is good. So the want for it has gone ridiculously down.

Went with my friend when he went for a smoke and never felt the need for a puff. I drink a lot of water and this helps. Stopped going to the balcony itself.

This thread is a motivator and so please keep it alive
Old 26th October 2011, 14:27   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
unless i take into account the one during a drink i sneaked in.
It's a small failure. Forget it and move on! My very last cigarette was a month or so into the giving up. I found it under a chair, and could not resist. It was dry, disgusting and burnt my lungs; maybe that helped to make it my very last! It does illustrate, though, how important it is to rid the house, pockets, office draws, etc, of any such temptation.

Keep up the good work
Old 26th October 2011, 16:40   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I chose a healthy life style.

As I just told my friend earlier today, when I am buried, the bacteria will label me healthy food.
bblost,

Those are two very positive sentences.

Giving up smoking is very easy, I have done it many times.
Old 27th October 2011, 23:32   #806
Senior - BHPian

Did I take a step back?

So, I posted sometime back that I am now fairly comfortable around smokers and the urge to light up is not really there.

But since the last one week or so, its coming back. Yesterday, a friend of mine dropped in late at night and we had a round of drinks.

As is the case always, he went outside the house for a smoke and I accompanied him. I swear I did not pay an iota of attention to what he was saying. i just kept staring at the ciggy. Lord knows how I held myself back. He went out at least 8 times for a cigarette and at times he smoked 2 in one trip.

I felt the same way a few days ago also when I visited his place, but it was not so intense. I know some might say that it was the drinks that made me feel like that but I have had drinks on previous occassions and did not feel like smoking.

Why is this happening? Insights into the probable cause with suggestions to move in the right direction will be most helpful. Not sure if I will be able to survive the next encounter.

All the while, I just kept telling myself, "If you go for it (cigarette), you will have suffered all those cravings and associated nonsense for nothing." Next time though, I know I will tell myself that "There's no point. Just smoke and never again think of quitting. Enjoy your life and do what you want."

Damnnnnnn, I feel like I am already readying myself to smoke again. Help guys.

PS - Belated Happy Diwali & a Happy Gujrati New Year to everyone.
Old 28th October 2011, 01:10   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"If you go for it (cigarette), you will have suffered all those cravings and associated nonsense for nothing."
And, you'll have to go through them all again.

Yes, maybe you took a step back, but this is an addiction that you are fighting, and it will come at you in all sorts of ways.

Don't worry about the backwards steps --- unless you take them with a cigarette in your hand!
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:54   #808
Senior - BHPian

I've been smoking for a little over 14 years and i finally decided to quit. I used to smoke around 5-6 ciggies a day and sometimes over 10 while out with friends over coffee, ride meets, etc.

Its been four days now and i get the urge to smoke a couple of times especially when i am at work. Standing outside my office building breathing in the "fresh air" and smoking while watching the traffic crawl by used to be my stress buster.

I miss this pastime quite a bit now.

But the Nicorette gums are helping me (in addition to my will power) to stay away from smoking. Heck, i even have half a pack of my brand of ciggies in my bag but dont feel tempted to even reach for them. Funny huh?

The urge comes and goes in the blink of an eye. Good thing is that my lungs feel clean, no burning in the chest especially when i used to smoke the first stick of the day, no heartburn, acidity, etc.

Here is a link to the Nicorette site for interested folks. I am on the 2mg gum (for those who smoke less than 20 ciggies a day) and the recommended dosage is 8-12 gums a day for the first week and reduction of one gum every week. The dosage is for 12 weeks.

I have used only 1-2 gums in an entire day and i hope i am able to quit for good. I find one piece of gum a bit too strong so i bite off half a gum and keep the other half in the strip for later cravings.

I am concerned about weight gain post kicking the butt since i dont exercise. I have started avoiding the elevator and only use the stairs now. I plan to buy a cycle soon enough and get some exercise to stay fit.

My wife is happy and proud that i finally have quit smoking.

Quote:
Quitting smoking will not cause weight loss or gain.
On the contrary and on a lighter note, smoking helps you lose weight.... one lung at a time.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd November 2011 at 17:03.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:57   #809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I am concerned about weight gain post kicking the butt since i dont exercise. I have started avoiding the elevator and only use the stairs now. I plan to buy a cycle soon enough and get some exercise to stay fit.

My wife is happy and proud that i finally have quit smoking.

The weight gain is not due to quitting smoking. Most people just transfer the nicotine addiction into food. Trying to find solace in it.

Don't fall into that trap.

And Wishing you the very BEST.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd November 2011 at 17:04. Reason: removed references in quoted text.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:06   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The weight gain is not due to quitting smoking. Most people just transfer the nicotine addiction into food. Trying to find solace in it.

Don't fall into that trap. And Wishing you the very BEST.
Thanks a ton dude. I need all the support i can get.

My cousin stopped smoking a couple of years back and said that appetite increases once the system is detoxified. He has put on quite a bit of weight since he quit.

Well its only four days for me and my appetite is unchanged. I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

I tried quitting 2 years back and was good for a week and reverted back to smoking. This time i am determined to quit for good.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd November 2011 at 17:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks