Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 11:37   #871
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Restarted my body-building routine after a gap of one year and since 29-Jan-12, I've been off the stick. First week was very hard: mainly the physical exertion, and also the 'NO's I had to say to my gang when they go for their smoke breaks.

During my rest days however, the craving is too strong, but I just order Chinese or I gobble down a cheat meal.
Old 15th March 2012, 14:10   #872
BHPian

I completed a full smoke free year on the 22'nd Feb 2012. I used to smoke around 10 sticks per day since almost 13 years and quit cold turkey. Reducing smoking and then eventually quitting does not work most of the times, if you really want to quit, you have to quit cold turkey. The first week is the toughest, drinking a lot of water helped me. The side effects were excessive eating and eventually putting on 3-4 kg. I started playing tennis since the last six months which helped me to loose those extra kilos. Besides the health factor, quitting smoking gives you that "can do" attitude which eventually helps you in everything you do. I have been regularly going to the tennis court since the last six months which I feel would have not been possible had I been smoking.Not to forget those amazing friends I made on the court . So all you guys following this thread and still smoking give quitting another shot, a healthy smoke free life awaits you. Cheers.
Old 15th March 2012, 14:40   #873
BHPian

To those trying to quit, nicotine gum has some horrible side effects from hair loss to melty man syndrome (Guys who watched 'Coupling' would know this term). The gum is actually worse than smoking (consult your doc), you can try patches instead but again they don't work for most people.

I've gone months without smoking, didn't feel any different and started again but I can say the best way to reduce and stop is to cut down either by smoking less or smoking half a cigarette (this helps!), this also helps with cessation symptoms later on. Increasing fluid (takin the fluidic for a drive could help too ) intake also helps with quitting and staying quit.

My two cents.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:47   #874
BHPian

I was a smoker for around 19 years before i quit smoking "Cold Turkey" some 3 weeks back. Now its been 3 weeks since i did not even smoke a single puff and proud to be called an ex-smoker as I type this. This was my first attempt to quit smoking after 19 years from the day i started smoking in the year 1993 and been successful in the first attempt, though first 3 days were horrible with nicotine withdrawal symptoms and bad craving to smoke.

Even today i get cravings, though tolerable. Asking the people who quit, please share their experience:

1. I used to smoke 20 cigarettes (WILLS - Navy Cut) per day before i quit and been a chronic (chain) smoker for all 19 years i smoked
2. How many days/months will the craving to smoke last given the fact that its been 3 weeks now since i quit but still i get cravings to smoke (though I divert myself now)?

Last edited by lazybrain : 7th May 2012 at 15:07.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:09   #875
BHPian

Fantastic job in quitting smoking cold turkey. It's been 3 months since I quit, but cravings has been mild to non-existent. I started smoking in 1989 and quit on 1st Feb of this year.

Proud to say that I have not touched a cigarette in 3 months now. It was little difficult the first few days, but got used to not smoking very soon. Side effect is that I can taste food better and have a good appetite these days, which lead to weight gain. Am sure I'll be able to lose it with a little bit of exercise and sports.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:36   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to all the newcomers to the Non Smokers' Club

Yes, it is the first few days that are by far the worst, but you still need to keep some strength in reserve: it can come back and hit you hard weeks, months, or even years ahead.

Keep up the good work!
Old 8th May 2012, 14:02   #877
BHPian

This is a great thread. It proves that it is indeed possible to quit smoking. Even if you have a relapse, take it in your stride and quit the stick again.
Just to share my own story - started smoking in college. Tried quitting twice - 1st time for 6 months and the second time for 2 years. Third time lucky - I have been smoke free for 6 years come May 21.
I went the cold turkey method since cutting down slowly wasnt working for me. The first month was bad and then gradually the cravings reduce and vanish. I still do have occasional urges once in a few months but they arent strong and can easily be overcome. Once you manage the first 2-3 months you can easily continue that life long.

Here's wishing everyone the very best in their efforts to quit smoking.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:59   #878
BHPian

I have thought about quitting smoking several times, but never tried till date. But now I feel the time has to come quit at all costs..! I have been a smoker for 15 years now.

I went through the posts and felt inspired enough to take the first steps. Did not smoke after lunch today and trying to hold up. I do not know how many tries will I need, but I have taken the first step.

Thanks to all of you.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:46   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did not smoke after lunch today
First hurdle is going through the rest of the day and sleeping tonight.

Next milestone is making it to 24 hours

From then on, you can count the number of days of being a non smoker

All the best!
Old 8th May 2012, 19:51   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Next milestone is making it to 24 hours
My personal experience was first 3 days (72 hours) from the moment you quit smoking was terrible and that is the time you need to have maximum will power. From Day 4 onwards all other days are same. You will get craving but ON and OFF and you will learn the art of fighting with the crave. for eg: I get strong craves after heavy lunch or cup of coffee. I fight the crave by eating less or trying to avoid drinking coffee and drink tea instead.

I am yet to complete 1 month since I quit so cant comment what happens after that. But I heard as days progress the no of craves per day decreases in both frequency and intensity and finally you will reach a point where you will neither remember nor feel that you ever smoked in the past

I will update here moving forward whether i will feel the same or not as days progress.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:53   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My personal experience was first 3 days (72 hours) from the moment you quit smoking was terrible and that is the time you need to have maximum will power. From Day 4 onwards all other days are same.
Sounds about right, but my memory is a a bit dim after twenty years. What I can remember, though, is that just about all my half-hearted failed attempts actually failed on the same day. I'd make it to evening, the temptation would be too great, and the blast of the first nicotine for so many hours would be so great that that would be it.

I used the patches, over a period of nearly three months. What I also remember is that each reduction of dosage, from large to medium, then small, then none, was much the same: a day of slightly increased discomfort.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:05   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
My personal experience was first 3 days (72 hours) from the moment you quit smoking was terrible and that is the time you need to have maximum will power. From Day 4 onwards all other days are same. You will get craving but ON and OFF and you will learn the art of fighting with the crave. for eg: I get strong craves after heavy lunch or cup of coffee. I fight the crave by eating less or trying to avoid drinking coffee and drink tea instead.

I am yet to complete 1 month since I quit so cant comment what happens after that. But I heard as days progress the no of craves per day decreases in both frequency and intensity and finally you will reach a point where you will neither remember nor feel that you ever smoked in the past

I will update here moving forward whether i will feel the same or not as days progress.
It may be just me, but my personal experience goes like this. The first 2-4 days may be easy not to smoke. I was smoking 10-14 (those four from friends when I'm done with my pack) a day on regular basis and when on trip or get a good co. I smoke one every hour or 20 a day.
I have been smoke free during quite a few weekends (48 hours), without much difficulties or a few times for about 2 weeks or less when I attempted to quit and failed. The reasons for failure/cravings were silly,
1>I felt I'm in control now and I can reward myself by smoking a ciggy or two now and I know I can control latter,
2>I'm out on trip with other friends who smoke and just cant resist, decission to quit after this trip never worked
3>I had to wait for someone/something for a long time doing nothing and that is the moment I'm falling most of the times for,
4>During an alcohol session with good friends or first rain of the season or during nice frosting or rainy days when you get tempted to light one

I learnt all the above conditions and few more that makes me go for it, stop thinking about some psychological fundas of Osho that talks about smoke with awareness and you should be able to quit easily and decided to go cold turkey with all the will power I can use.

I found it easy for initial few days which I always felt during my initial failed attempts. I just stuck to my decission this time, overcome all the above excuses and trying not to smoke during above situations. It helped. 9 weeks and 4 days is the longest I have been smoke free since I started. However, I never had real difficulties stomping those cravings during driking or on a trip or during recent rains - thats the reason I feel those were the silly reasons and not too hard to quit.

I've not put on much weight since I quit, good control over what you eat and some light exercise can help with this. Things Feels, smells and looks better now. However, I had more than a couple of dreams where I lighted and smoked one during this time (I hardly dream unless I slept for long hours), this could have been some pshychological behavior, or fear of my will power, I still go to smoking zones with friends at work but I hold on to my green tea cup and dont even think about touching the white stick or even during those occasional drinking sessions, I could resist it with ease. I know this overconfidence may kill the cat in future, so I'm all stuck to my will power.
Guys who have quit recently, all the best and stick to your will power. Remember that single puff is all it takes to blow your will power.
All the luck!

Last edited by Ketan : 9th May 2012 at 09:10.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:50   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I felt I'm in control now and I can reward myself by smoking a ciggy or two now and I know I can control latter
Classic addiction mental trick!

Good luck with keeping your life smoke-free now
Old 11th May 2012, 16:21   #884
BHPian

Been following this thread for a year now. Tried an Android app that counts the frequency of smokes last year. It helped me reduce from 10 smokes a day to 3. Then come New year's and it all went for a toss. Have steadily come back to a pack a day.

As most people on this forum have said, its Cold Turkey or nothing. Just crushed and thrown away the pack in my pocket. There is an office party tonight..the first big test.

Am taking each hour as it comes now.
Old 11th May 2012, 17:14   #885
BHPian

Hi sraye
Good that you want to quit
It is very difficult to cut down.Normally you go back to your old no of cigarettes.
The first 30 days are difficult and from thereon it becomes easier.
Sugar and alcohol trigger craving for a smoke.
Bubblegum,clove cardamom help in quitting by taking care of the need for oral satisfaction.
Good luck to you at the party.
Regards

Most Viewed