Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:33   #916
BHPian

Noopster being blunt is good specially when you're dealing with something as addictive as smoking. On any other subject it might have offended me but not this, so thank you.

Im not here to defend myself. All said and done Im the only one affected if I choose to stay in denial.

I have set a quit date and yes I am choosing to quit smoking. I realize the time to quit is NOW but I want to stick to what works for me.

Yes Im not totally there and maybe I need to tune myself a little more to reality.

My rationalization for "just one" on all previous attempts has led me to the conclusion that I still thought the stick did something for me.

I know it doesn't do anything and I know now that my mental conditioning has failed me.

This time round I will not look at a smoker with envy and feel left out. I have been stuck in a mental debate for ages.

This week has given me enough time to realize that I've been a fool all along. I could have quit 'now' a week back. I feel prepared now and equipped to deal with anything knowing that smoking hasnt done anything for me but caused sickness.

Trust me I am choosing my new lifestyle. I am choosing what I want to become. I might have a quit date but thats because I *need* to ensure my dependency does not affect my company. Its for those 48 hours when your blood sugar goes for a toss.

I choose to not be an Ostrich. Thanks for your suggestions. I respect every ex smoker who takes out time to guide those trying. Maybe this might be much easier because of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
The reasons are irrelevant Abhishek. When you make a choice it has to be NOW. If you feel the need to delay it till tomorrow, you are not ready to make the choice. Sorry to be blunt.

Edit: Just elaborating on this point with a rather over-the-top example: say you are agnostic and a friend has been working on you to convert you to a religion that he professes. If you say, "I see now that your religion will lead me to salvation, and here is what I will do: convert after X days/months/years when I need it most", he will call your bluff and tell you to think about it some more and tell him when you are really ready. Same goes for smoking, if you ask me.

It seems to me you are still rationalising why you need to stop smoking. That's good but it will not help you to stay quit. Once you realise that it a CHOICE you are making that empowers you, you will quit.'
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:24   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The reasons are irrelevant Abhishek. When you make a choice it has to be NOW. If you feel the need to delay it till tomorrow, you are not ready to make the choice. Sorry to be blunt.
"Friday, June 22nd," is good. "Tomorrow," is not so good: there's always another tomorrow! I think Abishek's intention is clear, but does Nick O'Tine understand that he has been given a final eviction order?
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:37   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the reply, Abhishek. I wasn't being cynical or skeptical trust me. Having been through the quit-restart-quit cycle for over 5 years before I finally managed to do it successfully, it's the luxury one has of hindsight being always 20:20.

Good luck- kick that stick!
Old 22nd June 2012, 13:20   #919
BHPian

As time as gone by, tomorrow is indeed *Today*. Nicotine wouldn't need to understand after hours, it wouldn't have an option. The entry door is closing for good.

Eviction order and the door will be shut forever for good. There is abundance of awesomeness just a few days ahead and there to last.

I would never jump from a building. I wouldn't point a gun to my head so then why should I keep smoking?

Moreover, I am happy I am quitting. If there are certain symptoms, I'd still be happy to know I'm moving ahead and not wishing anymore.

I am not going to change my life in any way what so ever. I will not avoid anything because it triggers the need to smoke. My life style shall not alter.

I am quitting smoking but I'm not quitting living. I don't associate the nicotine with pleasure anymore.

You'll spot me at the same cafe with a book in my hand next time.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Friday, June 22nd," is good. "Tomorrow," is not so good: there's always another tomorrow! I think Abishek's intention is clear, but does Nick O'Tine understand that he has been given a final eviction order?
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:24   #920
BHPian

Noopster I never thought of the post as cynical or skeptical at all. In fact I appreciate the fact that you did point out a few things. I know the quit-start-quit cycle well too. I've been caving in since 2009 but never did I think about the mental aspect of it all till about a few days back.

Thank you. Im glad you shared your experience. It was much more insightful that the so called 'quitting sites' who make quitting sound like a painful process and a sacrifice.

I guess its time to follow my head this time.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Thanks for the reply, Abhishek. I wasn't being cynical or skeptical trust me. Having been through the quit-restart-quit cycle for over 5 years before I finally managed to do it successfully, it's the luxury one has of hindsight being always 20:20.

Old 22nd June 2012, 19:03   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Good for you, Abhishek.
Quote:
I don't associate the nicotine with pleasure anymore.
Be prepared for the temptation. In one way or another, it will come.

Be realistic. Be prepared to say, "Sure, smoking a cigarette just now would be just wonderful, but I'm not going to."

Old 22nd June 2012, 19:44   #922
BHPian

Thanks Thad,

I know that feeling very very well. In fact, that's led to my downfall almost everytime.

For me, physical withdrawal is not much of a worry, its the psychological triggers. The association with coffee, after a long drive and I can go on and on.

That's exactly why I delayed my quit in the first place, to avoid the 'one would be wondeful, I'll just smoke this one and never again'.

Thankfully this time I feel a lot more prepared to handle that day. Whether its day 5 or day 115.

Quote:
Good for you, Abhishek.

Be realistic. Be prepared to say, "Sure, smoking a cigarette just now would be just wonderful, but I'm not going to."

Old 22nd June 2012, 21:17   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

After a year or two, you actually wonder what all the fuss was about!

All the best. Nicotine is a tough opponent.
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:28   #924
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After a year or two, you actually wonder what all the fuss was about!
As a non-smoker, I often do wonder what the fuss is all about

That said, its heartening to read the success stories here

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd June 2012 at 21:32.
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:12   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I finally managed to do it successfully, it's the luxury one has of hindsight being always 20:20.

Good on you noopster, but these things always have a habit of rearing at us one time or the other, the fight continues till the end of life, by no means it is over in a year or five.

Quote:
St.Nick has his own time and his own mind which as a quitter you have to be stronger than.

Quote:

Easier said than done, which is why it is called the DEVIL. Just think of Christ and his temptations.
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:57   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... think of Christ and his temptations.
The devil is now cursing himself for not having thought of ...offering him a cigarette!
Old 22nd June 2012, 23:12   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The devil is now cursing himself for not having thought of ...offering him a cigarette!
Are you THAT close to the Devil ?
Old 23rd June 2012, 01:12   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

tee hee ... Shall I open a thread for regular updates?
Old 24th June 2012, 16:51   #929
Team-BHP Support

Saw this on a friend's FB wall; knew there was such a thread on T-BHP so thought I'd post it here.

I don't smoke myself - never have, never will.

Old 25th June 2012, 17:04   #930

I was a chain smoker once and had made several half hearted and futile efforts to quit. I had reached the stage when I was smoking 50 cigs. a day!! But one fine day after my daughter was born somehow I firmly decided that I would quit on her first birthday which was a month ahead. I gave myself to smoke as many cigs. as I could but stuck on the date to quit. And I did so. Although the next few months were really difficult but I stood firm and relied on nicotine gums to manage the urge. But it is 5 years now that I have quit and thankfully don’t even want to get back to the habit. This is not exaggeration, but now the smell of smoke that I used to love then suffocates me now while standing close to someone smoking. Indeed it is difficult to quit but not impossible. It is just a firm and final determination.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks