Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 15:19   #1066
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I've known just a couple of people who could smoke one cigarette every few months and not even think about it in between. I think they are rare!
Maybe I am one of them.
But too scared to find out. So no matter how much I loved and enjoyed smoking. I am not tempting fate no matter how much nicotine tempts me.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:22   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

I know that I am not one of them, so, for my whole life I will avoid any tobacco product, however it is consumed. Dangerous! The "other one" I don't have a problem with, because, far from making me feel good, it just gives me a headache!
Old 29th November 2012, 19:36   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Frankly i don't believe in the theory of nicotine being addictive and that one can overcome it by taking it in another form like patch or gum etc to help quit smoking. My personal view is that smoking is just a habit of inhaling flavored smoke and one would be willing to do it even if the smoke isn't coming from nicotine. One just have to give up the habit of inhaling smoke. Its about smoke and not nicotine.
A huge science behind it, I read about a little and forgot most of them sometime back, the bad thingy is nicotine gets metabolized in liver, something similar to sugar/fructos/alcohol and that could be the reason why smoking and type-2 diabetese is one of the worst combinations!

It takes about 10 seconds to reach the brain cells once inhaled via the blood streams and feeds a few types of receptros in the brain that helps in relaxation preocess and addiction, some of the medicines I have heard about blocks these receptors so that nicotine cannot be absorbed by them and you dont feel that satisfactory feeling even after smoking and ultimately quit!! Its got big chemical theory behind it, I found it easier to quit than understand the whole stuff!
Old 30th November 2012, 11:04   #1069
BHPian

Well as for me Tbhp is a part of my family, i thought i will share some info regarding myself here.

I have been smoking since the past 2.5 years. I was a total anti - smoker. But once i went to the college , it all started. I tried quitting and it went on for 3 months ( this was during the summer break ). But when i came back to the college, it all started again. Now everytime i promise myself that i will leave very very soon but it doesn't happen. This time i have set the limit and i will leave by the year end. But i am not really sure if i can leave it so easily.

I dont think if i am addicted but to be true, i have no idea at all. This is the first time i am writing it down on a public forum regarding my smoking habits.

I know the best thing is to do is leave it right now. I have even tried that but it doesn't work. I know i can do it but i just want a push ! Need some serious help here as i dont want to get addicted to the cancer stick.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:15   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Need some serious help here as i dont want to get addicted to the cancer stick.
Sorry pal, but if you need a cigarette, you are addicted to it.

Understand and accept it. Then fight the habit and kick it out.

You will never succeed in your quitting till you recognize the awful grip smoking has on you.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:21   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sorry pal, but if you need a cigarette, you are addicted to it.

Understand and accept it. Then fight the habit and kick it out.

You will never succeed in your quitting till you recognize the awful grip smoking has on you.
Well then if that's the case then i have to agree to it. I am just trying to fight it out but i seem to get tired of it and then nothing happens. I know its all about will power and self belief. I am just trying to gather some confidence and hopefully i will succeed.

Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:44   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Its day 3 guys, the cravings have almost settled out, get a little urges when i see some one smokes but i try to go somewhere else at that point.

Havent had a puff and dont even need one, breath feels better, that itchy throat is gone and i feel fresh. Couldnt sleep yesterday night due to cravings and withdrawal symptoms.

The fight continues, will power would win against the nicotine demon.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:24   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Now everytime i promise myself that i will leave very very soon but it doesn't happen. This time i have set the limit and i will leave by the year end. But i am not really sure if i can leave it so easily.
Trust me there is never a good time and planning is futile!! I have planned and planned but till I did a cold turkey, it is always mind over body. Nicotine is a killer and will screw your body time and again and make you smoke to satisfy the deficit in your blood.

Just kick the stick man! I know it is difficult! but cold turkey is the only way!!
Old 30th November 2012, 13:32   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Trust me there is never a good time and planning is futile!! I have planned and planned but till I did a cold turkey, it is always mind over body. Nicotine is a killer and will screw your body time and again and make you smoke to satisfy the deficit in your blood.

Just kick the stick man! I know it is difficult! but cold turkey is the only way!!
Yes i completely agree with you. I guess this is the only way. The only thing is i have to stay strong and control the urge. Rest it all depends upon how i control everything around me. I am surely gonna kick the damn thing out of my life.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:30   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Good Job coolboy, keep it up. break the habitual rituals. Have lots of chocolates.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:12   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Thanks govigov, yeah the appetite has increased a lot, keep munching on fruits and gums

Guys, could smoking/using those flavoured hookah's erase whatever progress i have made so far, am mostly done with the cravings etc but a friend invited me for dinner and drinks and we always used to sit outside and have a hookah, if its not good at present stage, i will politely decline, he doesnt smoke cigs.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 30th November 2012 at 19:17.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:28   #1077
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Its day 3 guys, the cravings have almost settled out, get a little urges when i see some one smokes but i try to go somewhere else at that point.

Havent had a puff and dont even need one, breath feels better, that itchy throat is gone and i feel fresh. Couldnt sleep yesterday night due to cravings and withdrawal symptoms.

The fight continues, will power would win against the nicotine demon.
Good for you! Cool, even .

Be prepared. It may come back and hit you when you least expect it. Also be prepared for the times in life that may not be so good. I said something like, "If my house burns down, a plane crashes on my parents' house, my girl friend leaves me, I loose my job, even if all this happens on the same day ...I will not smoke."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Trust me there is never a good time and planning is futile!!
You can plan, but you have to be 100% honest and strict with your deadlines. 100%. Never give in to "today isn't such a good day because..." See above! Once you allow that thought, you've lost.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th November 2012 at 19:29.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:21   #1078
BHPian

One more reason to quit smoking!!

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-28012_10151140600362047_1642975915_n.jpg
Old 18th December 2012, 11:24   #1079
BHPian

Caution to Smokers

First of all, I am not sure if the rules allow writing about Smoking and ancillary products on the Forum, Mods please delete if Not Appropriate. Also could not find a suitable thread so starting a new one.

A big caution to smokers, I was speaking recently to a friend who works for a very reputable Tobacco company in India and he let me in on a very dangerous Fact.

7 Out of 10 Paan valas selling imported cigarettes are FAKE.

So the next time you pick up a Marlboro or a Benson from an unknown place, do note it could be a fake and much much more dangerous than the real thing.

His solution, buy from reputable shops or from one you are sure it is the real deal. Otherwise stick to Popular Indian brands, Gold Flake, Four Square and Navy cut are the least duplicated so should be safe. Even Classic and India Kings found at many places are duplicate.

Statutory Warning - Cigarette Smoking is Injurious to Health.
The writer is not promoting Cigarettes in any way and urges smokers to quit but for those who still want to continue Be Safe and buy original stuff.

Cheers
Old 18th December 2012, 12:00   #1080
BHPian

It's been a month I feel super. Last night I had a tester drag. Coughed my lungs out. I think my quit is successful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks