Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 01:00   #1171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Many of us tried a few times without sucess. Don't feel too bad about past failures: they were just battles that nicotine won. You can learn the lessons, and see how you lost, and what to guard against.
Quote:
This is one thing that is troubling me the most in my life that I am just unable to kick the butt. I try really hard but
Hmmm... find different/better ways of trying? It's my personal belief that it starts with an absolute, firm, completely irrevocable decision to stop. Not to try to stop, or to cut down, but to stop, whatever happens to you and however it makes you feel. Understand that feeling bad is part of the deal, and that it does not last
Quote:
...somehow manage to smoke at least a couple of cigarettes a day.
The basic precautions are well known. Throw away those you have, and, guess what? You are never going to buy another pack. That makes it easier, because when you reach for the cigarettes, they aren't there.

What happens when, trying to give up, you smoke a cigarette? Do you give up giving up? Don't: you lost a battle, not the war. But be honest, because if you do that every day, or you are still doing it in a few weeks time then you are not actually giving up.
Old 18th July 2013, 04:03   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Completing one smoke free year today. Thank you team-bhp. The smell of cigarette is repulsive for me now. I am planning on getting a chest x ray done to see if there are any visible changes. My earlier x-ray had lots of white blotches.
Old 19th July 2013, 17:15   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quit smoking on 3rd July and used Nicorette gum to aid in this process. Have been reducing its intake daily and now down to 3 gums a day. Mission is to completely quit the nico gum by this month end.

The itch to smoke is really strong some times, especially while driving but am determined to stop this time.

Feel so much better within 2 weeks of quitting.
Old 19th July 2013, 17:55   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Its been 2 or 3 months since I quit smoking. I dont even remember properly when I actually stopped!

I have been trying to stop since sometime now, but with failed attempts. Cold turkey would not work on me; so gradually reduced smoking.

I came down to one a day. Then no smokes on weekends. Extended it to 3 day stretch, 4 day and suddenly stopped.

I did try one cigarette sometime back; however did not feel good after smoking and haven't tried it again. This must have been a month back.
Old 19th July 2013, 18:58   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news guys! Remember you have to keep it up for a lifetime. I was really surprised to wake up after a smoking dream the other day! It has been twenty-one years, but still it is lodged in my brain!
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:45   #1176
BHPian

Been smoking for 5 years now. 2 weeks back, i got myself an electronic cigarette. Was expecting the same result as the patches/gums. Surprisingly enough, have not felt the urge to light up after using this little battery hope it stays the same way.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:52   #1177
BHPian

I used to smoke occasionally during my engineering.
Started working from 2008, and i started smoking about a minimum of 5 cigarettes everyday. Some days the number would be as high as 10 too. I could feel my stamina decreasing day after day. Just walking for a few minutes would make me gasp for breath. All the promises made on New Year's Eve or the eve of my b'day would be broken the very next day.

Then, started hitting the gym from 1st week of July this year to put on some weight and build muscles. Working out in the gym, i would feel so exhausted after 15 minutes while lifting weights. That is when i decided to quit smoking. July 9th 2013, i had my final cigarette in the morning. After that, haven't had a single one for 15 days and counting. Feels really good to have finally quit it.

Can feel my stamina increasing now. After quitting, would be worried that i would not be able to control the urge during weekends, or while going for drives. But, have been able to survive 2 weekends without smoking and the resolve has only gotten better to not smoke ever again.

Reading about the stories of other BHPians who have quit has been a motivation too. Keep up the good work guys.

Hoping to be smoke-free forever.

If i could do it, even you could do it and cold-turkey is the best option for kicking the cancer-stick out of your life!!
Old 5th August 2013, 01:51   #1178
BHPian

so far its been going to plan.

I recently got my car shampooed (with seat removed etc. the whole hog). From now on, friends are not allowed to smoke in car when the windows are up (exactly the kind of rules which used to irritate me earlier).
Old 5th August 2013, 02:10   #1179
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to be hardline but...

OK, I'm not actually sorry to be hardline! As an ex-smoker, tobacco smoke or the smell of it afffects and irritates me far more than it does most people who never smoked. You need to make that not allowed to smoke in the car ever.

Even with windows open, you'll be surprised how much smell (and stain) will stick around and, even with windows open, as a giving-up smoker you really do not need people smoking so close to you. Unless you are trying to get an illicit lungful?

(I used to do that in my early giving-up days: walk near smokers in the street, breath in and sigh! )
Old 5th August 2013, 19:32   #1180
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I've been meaning to post this for some time but something or the other came up.

It was a pretty bad asthma attack.

It's been well over a month and I haven't smoked a single cigarette since.
Good on you mate! Congrats. Hope you are doing well now.

Us smokers are like "Laaton ke Bhoot". Most of us won't quit until God gives us a solid kick on our behind.

I had a ligament tear on my left knee on the night of 16th July 2013. Am bed ridden since then and am working from home. Absolutely zero smokes since that day. Today is my 20th clean day.

I am just hoping I don't fall for the stick again once I start going to work again.
Old 5th August 2013, 21:00   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on 20 days, it is a very good start. You might even be over the worst of the giving-up symptoms, although you have to be prepared to cope with bouts an any time in the future.

You can manage when you get back to work, but hope is not enough. Tobacco beats hope (like the old game, rock, paper scissors!) any day. You have to have decision and resolution.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:14   #1182
Team-BHP Support

Well done Oxy! Just hang in there. I've realised that the urge lasts for a couple of seconds, and then it passes. Hang in there and don't give in to it. Divert your mind to something productive.

It's been over two months since I've picked up a cigarette. I do feel the urge from time to time. But I've come this far and I don't see any point in throwing it away.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:52   #1183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I recently got my car shampooed (with seat removed etc. the whole hog). From now on, friends are not allowed to smoke in car when the windows are up (exactly the kind of rules which used to irritate me earlier).
This may sound funny but even in my smoking days I never allowed anyone to smoke in my car, self included. It is not a question of getting tempted but smoking while driving is definitely distracting and sometimes dangerous. Also, I hate the idea of tap-tap-tapping ash into public streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am just hoping I don't fall for the stick again once I start going to work again.
My ex-boss used to say "Hope is not a good strategy" As cliched as that sounds, in this case it is absolutely true. If you are determined to stay clear of smoking, don't let temptation destroy all your effort. Go back and read how some of us have managed it. And most important, EVEN IF you do succumb to the urge, just reset the counter and start again. Don't make the failure to quit bigger than the quit itself.

Good luck!

Last edited by noopster : 6th August 2013 at 11:24. Reason: Typo
Old 6th August 2013, 10:59   #1184
BHPian

Just saw this thread and great work for helping with a good cause.I too quit smoking 12 years back and i think the point here is to call it quits in a day.yes the intial month or two is difficult but then it is forgotten.I would advise people who have the idea to stop it, to take the decision in a day and enforce it rather than planning too much.
Old 6th August 2013, 15:32   #1185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My ex-boss used to say "Hope is not a good strategy" As cliched as that sounds...
Whilst I hate management jargon, this one is so true. Something about setting oneself up to fail comes to mind to.

Give nicotine an chance, even a tiny one, and it will take it and wipe the floor with us

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks