Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 14:20   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

These things, I maintain are ONLY done to increase revenues.
Not only for revenues. Their intent is to discourage (not STOP) people from smoking, at least those who are not yet addicted to it.
And if people still chose to smoke, then they have to pay the government higher revenues in terms of taxes. Nothing wrong here.
A Pack of Cig in the New York costs around $15. So it is not only in India that it is being done.

Coming back, I am trying to quit since quite some time now, but in vain. I smoke around 20 a day. I am just unable to control the urge.
Previously, when I tried to quit, I used to atleast quit it for a few days, but now I just cant go past a day. I do not want to resort to those nicotine gums which have their own side effects.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:34   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I am trying to quit since quite some time now, but in vain. I smoke around 20 a day. I am just unable to control the urge. Previously, when I tried to quit, I used to atleast quit it for a few days, but now I just cant go past a day.
Vinit, I was in the same situation as your's a few months back. I had my share of reasons to smoke but my heart felt thanks to Noopster, Thad, Saket and many others who supported me in gradually decreasing this awful habit. Also, I learnt a lot on this from my friend Samarth.Bhatia who gave up smoking with ease.

I agree its not easy to give up but if a person like me can reduce it then I am sure you may do it too. You will be surprised to know that I used to kill the urge of frequent smoking by coming back to this forum as a constructive alternative and spend my time here.

Right now, I smoke 2-3 cigarettes in a day and pack of 20 sticks which I buy from Airport lasts for about 7 to 8 days. I feel that its easier to give it up gradually without waiting for a special occasion. Any other alternative to give up smoking i.e chewing gum et al are not helpful.

Try smoking one stick after a meal and so in this way you will be able to reduce it to 3 sticks a day.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 10th July 2014 at 14:36. Reason: grammar
Old 10th July 2014, 14:37   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Smokers have a new reason to quit, excise duty on cigrettes doubled to 22%. I am smoke free for 3 months now.

Pramod
Old 20th July 2014, 22:14   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Celebrating two smoke free years. I have to say i would not be able to do it without the help of this thread. How is rest of the team doing?
Old 20th July 2014, 23:32   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!

Pramod, I hope you are still with it. (Or rather without it --- the tobacco, that is!).

My score: 22 years, and definitely not taking chances. It always lurks!
Old 21st July 2014, 08:10   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Right now, I smoke 2-3 cigarettes in a day and pack of 20 sticks which I buy from Airport lasts for about 7 to 8 days. I feel that its easier to give it up gradually without waiting for a special occasion. Any other alternative to give up smoking i.e chewing gum et al are not helpful.
There is only one way to stop and that is quit completely. You may feel the urge the first week but if you have a goal and pledge this to a loved one you will be able to get through. read this forum it will give you many pointers. Just stay smoke free..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Smokers have a new reason to quit, excise duty on cigrettes doubled to 22%. I am smoke free for 3 months now.

Pramod
Congratulations Pramod! Stay Strong and Stay healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Celebrating two smoke free years. I have to say i would not be able to do it without the help of this thread. How is rest of the team doing?
Congratulations! Stay Strong and Stay healthy!
Old 21st July 2014, 10:21   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Cigarette-free for 1 year and nearly 2 months now!
Old 21st July 2014, 11:51   #1283
Distinguished - BHPian

4th anniversary being cigarette-free passed by quietly in June. As the years go by, the significance of the anniversary reduces somewhat...

But also a caveat- NEVER take this beast lightly. The urge to light up one never goes away. In a weak moment, when your guard is down, it could take over...and undo all that good work and discipline. So take care!
Old 21st July 2014, 15:43   #1284
Senior - BHPian

14 days now. Yeah, I have done this before - not smoking for even up to 4 months. But always started again. But this time have resolved to never have a smoke again.

No urge to smoke
Old 21st July 2014, 17:09   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No urge to smoke
But beware: it can hit you when you think you have won and can forget the whole thing. It may be weeks, months, even years. Keep some strength in reserve
Old 21st July 2014, 18:04   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But beware: it can hit you when you think you have won and can forget the whole thing. It may be weeks, months, even years. Keep some strength in reserve
Yes, true that! It has happened before.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:08   #1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, true that! It has happened before.
I agree, it can, One has to be strong no matter what the circumstances, a drag is all it will take to start again.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:08   #1288
BHPian

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I had completely quit smoking in 2011 Jan after smoking for nearly 22 years. Was a huge achievement and am very proud of it. Unfortunately, fell off the wagon 10 days ago when I attended a party with friends. Smoked 5/6 during the party and was miserable at the end of the night. Haven't touched a cigarette after that and I hope I don't relapse after all this time.
Old 2nd August 2014, 19:34   #1289
BHPian

It's been more than one and half years when I had my last cigarette. Indeed it was one of the toughest tasks in my life but finally achieved with flying colors (though it took 20 years to gather such determination and will power).
Taken help of Nicorette and here I am living a smoke free life. Few consequences of Quitting cigarette.
Cons : Weight – 105 Kgs from 90 Kgs; Concentrated more on eating; so here I am.
Pros : Now I can run for more than a KM nonstop. Trying to reduce my weight now.
Quitting is easy; but I admit it’s tough to live without fag; those reasons always pull you to have few puffs; I am fighting.
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:56   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Cigarette-free for 1 year and nearly 2 months now!
Congratulations! Stay Strong! Stay Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
4th anniversary being cigarette-free passed by quietly in June. As the years go by, the significance of the anniversary reduces somewhat...

But also a caveat- NEVER take this beast lightly. The urge to light up one never goes away. In a weak moment, when your guard is down, it could take over...and undo all that good work and discipline. So take care!
Many Congratulations! Stay Strong! Think of all the gain and pain..Take a vow that you are never ever going back and pledge this for your loved one. It will help make your choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
14 days now. Yeah, I have done this before - not smoking for even up to 4 months. But always started again. But this time have resolved to never have a smoke again.

No urge to smoke
Naveen Stay Strong! Don't go back. It's not worth it! Trust me I smoked for 30 years and I know. It's a better life without the nicotine. Ask your loved one and she will tell you kissing a smoker is like kissing an ASHTRAY! Think of all the torture you give your loved one. If you are the only earning membera nd the stick kills you what will the family do? Stay Strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
+1

I had completely quit smoking in 2011 Jan after smoking for nearly 22 years. Was a huge achievement and am very proud of it. Unfortunately, fell off the wagon 10 days ago when I attended a party with friends. Smoked 5/6 during the party and was miserable at the end of the night. Haven't touched a cigarette after that and I hope I don't relapse after all this time.
Congratulations Buddy! Think of that moment as a Bad dream and stay strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
It's been more than one and half years when I had my last cigarette. Indeed it was one of the toughest tasks in my life but finally achieved with flying colors (though it took 20 years to gather such determination and will power).
Taken help of Nicorette and here I am living a smoke free life. Few consequences of Quitting cigarette.
Cons : Weight – 105 Kgs from 90 Kgs; Concentrated more on eating; so here I am.
Pros : Now I can run for more than a KM nonstop. Trying to reduce my weight now.
Quitting is easy; but I admit it’s tough to live without fag; those reasons always pull you to have few puffs; I am fighting.
Buddy you can now do a lot more than when you were smoking.. In a year your lung power would have doubled. After 5 years my lungs have become nearly clean. Go for it! Stay Clean, Stay Strong!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks