Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 22:27   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Anyway, it doesn't work.

TV programs with graphic pictures of blackened lungs used to get me reaching for the cigarettes. I smoked my way through bronchitis once: it hurt, but hey....
Old 15th August 2015, 02:26   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
They would come up with 10 times more examples of people around them who have been smoking their entire lives but not gotten ill.
What will you do then?

It gives me an impression that even you are not a smoker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Anyway, it doesn't work.

TV programs with graphic pictures of blackened lungs used to get me reaching for the cigarettes. I smoked my way through bronchitis once: it hurt, but hey....
We should make a statement like the Jeep statment "Its a jeep thing, you wont get it".

My grandma had cancer and i used to take her for chemo. I smoked through that too. The stress was intense.

The best is to keep folks away from it by not being able to buy it anywhere. Hard to get will make sure the number of smokers reduce.

Have you guys noticed that more than cigarettes, beedis are a killer in our country. The number of rural folk who have lost some or all their teeth is crazy. They do not visit doctors or dentists, never get tested for any disease and when they pass away it is told to be a natural death with no case registered.

The beedi companies make money to buy their fancy lambo or ferraris and roam around killing people. No body blames the beedi.

Maddy
Old 15th August 2015, 07:57   #1338
Senior - BHPian

another emotional note related to smoking.
Attached Images

vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 10:21   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Poignant. But it also underlines the point that you CANNOT ever quit for someone else. Promise made to a mother, shamed by a teacher angrily breaking your fag in half, your children's beseeching eyes, the threat of a loved one walking away...these may be triggers, sure, but only when YOU feel "That's it....no more!" can you ever break the habit. If more people realized this, the market for nicotine patches and self-help books would dry up.
Old 15th August 2015, 10:50   #1340
BHPian

I 'relished' smoking for 13 years. I quit 5 yrs back, cold turkey, and never looked back. Recently, I traveled to Bucharest for office work. I found they have developed a 'culture' of smoking. Not only colleagues, but I saw mother and daughter (may be 15-16 yrs old) smoking together. Suddenly I had this overpowering urge of taking a puff; without even 'thinking', I borrowed a cigarette from a Romanian co-worker and inhaled like there is no tomorrow. Immediately afterwards, my heart was flooded with guilt. I returned home after a week; been sober again. But I'm still afraid of myself, of losing self-control and falling into the 'smoking' pit once again.
Old 15th August 2015, 11:04   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I 'relished' smoking for 13 years. I quit 5 yrs back, cold turkey, and never looked back. Recently, I traveled to Bucharest for office work. I found they have developed a 'culture' of smoking. Not only colleagues, but I saw mother and daughter (may be 15-16 yrs old) smoking together. Suddenly I had this overpowering urge of taking a puff; without even 'thinking', I borrowed a cigarette from a Romanian co-worker and inhaled like there is no tomorrow. Immediately afterwards, my heart was flooded with guilt. I returned home after a week; been sober again. But I'm still afraid of myself, of losing self-control and falling into the 'smoking' pit once again.
I started at the age of 14, upon realizing that my dad had started smoking at 11. Smoked non stop till 32 and quit one fine day.

During my time had tried it all pipe Cigar beedies and what not

It is more than 15 years that I quit smoking, feels good when u wake up in the morning and can go about doing things without any compulsions.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:24   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
To be honest, unless this incident spirals out of your control into regular smoking, I would just brush it aside.
Old 19th August 2015, 17:29   #1343
BHPian

In my opinion, you need to have a strong reason to quit smoking. Until and unless you find your valid reason to quit, your desire will find every avenue to win over your self control.

I found my valid reason around 2 years and 8 months back when my daughter was born. I believe in "Lead by example", so made sure that I quit my not so good habits, before I start giving advices to her.

Even today I get tempted to light a stick, though it's been nearly 3 years. I think it's a battle to be fought for lifetime.
Old 22nd August 2015, 22:44   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quit smoking , because ..your family needs you.
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-h1.png  

Old 1st September 2015, 12:30   #1345
Team-BHP Support

Exactly 7 years since I smoked.

Feeling good that I have managed to last so long. Still feel the temptation at times but my kids are the best source of motivation and I will never do anything to mess it up.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:51   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Quit smoking , because ..your family needs you.
With all respect to the good intention of that graphical, i believe this thesis of "what happens within this much time when you quit smoking", has actually done the smokers more Harm than good.

Why?

It gives a false sense of security to the smoker. That as and when i stop smoking, there is a timeline within which my body will fully recover. But why should i rush to quit. I can do this tomorrow as well, the body still will recover fully within the timeline depicted in that thesis.

What that theory does not tell you that the damage that has already been done to you, in some cases, *cannot* be reversed by quitting alone. A blocked artery cannot heal by itself if it has already developed and you quit smoking afterwords. A cancer of the lung that has started to develop inside the body won't be cured by just quitting the smoke.

In short, this theory does not take into the account the disease that has already started developing inside the body (sometimes without even the person knowing). The disease itself will not get reversed by quitting smoking.

And ironically this theory instills a sense of complacency - that no time is bad time to quit smoking. I can do it now, but heck , i can do it tomorrow as well - I will be alright anyway.
Which is not entirely true.

When you need to quit, you need to do it now, this moment.
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:53   #1347
Senior - BHPian

1) Smoking leads to decreased lung capacity, which leads to shallow breathing, lower energy levels and lower immune system function.
Simply put, if you want to be successful as a runner on any level, quit smoking.

2)Smokers use certain muscles around their lips that cause them to have dynamic wrinkles that nonsmokers do not.

3) Smoking not only causes cancer and cardiovascular disease, it also dulls taste, making food less palatable

4) The chemicals in tobacco harm your blood cells.
They also can damage the function of your heart.

5) Smoking created a black pockmark on your face.
Smoking does damage your looks.
Smoking chronically deprives the skin of oxygen and nutrients.

6) Smoking can actually stain the skin and nails.
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-11390292_882820921788668_8131676122269525219_n.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-1560574_882820915122002_1941830800654411363_n.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-11391149_882820918455335_6112502079437980235_n.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-11329860_882820925122001_2991542206430967678_n.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-11390187_882820898455337_5174107185677362158_n.jpg  

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-11107465_882820911788669_7468802334568345728_n.jpg  

Old 20th October 2015, 13:19   #1348
BHPian

After 35 years of smoking and several false attempts at quitting, I have finally managed break free. I have been smoke free for the past week. This is the longest I have been smoke free in the past 35 years. A few of my thoughts & experiences, hoping it will help others -
  • In the past the reason to give up always sounded like a sacrifice and never lasted more than a few hours.
  • This time, the reason to quit was because I did not want to smoke any longer.
  • I did not opt for any nicotine replacement or any other crutch. I quit Cold Turkey.
  • I also started a morning walk routine, on the day I quit. This is to help avoid weight gain.
  • Every day morning I tell myself - "I will not smoke today. I will decide about tomorrow, when I get there". This helps immensely.
  • Every time I get a craving, I think about what triggered the craving and try to analyze why this is happening. So far, by the time I get to the bottom of it, the craving has subsided.
  • Smell & taste senses have definitely improved. Now when I walk by someone who is smoking, I cannot help but wonder - "Did i stink like this too?"
  • I know it has just been a week but I am 100 % certain that I will never smoke again.
Old 20th October 2015, 14:55   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, and keep up the good work. it will be work for some time, and even when you think it isn't, nicotine may come back to bite you. Be prepared!

Welcome to the world of non-smokers
Old 20th October 2015, 15:00   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations, and keep up the good work. it will be work for some time, and even when you think it isn't, nicotine may come back to bite you. Be prepared!

Welcome to the world of non-smokers
Thanks. I am sure, as long as I am aware that I am addicted to nicotine, I wouldn't dare try again, lest I have a relapse. It would be like someone telling a recovering alcoholic to have just one drink. It doesn't work.

BTW, I can never be a non-smoker. Only an ex-smoker

Most Viewed