Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 11:09   #1471
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
I feel ashamed to say that I couldn't quit, from 2-3 smokes a day it has gone up to 10-12 as earlier. Self confidence has gone for a toss. Now I really wonder will be able to quit smoking at least from 1st April.
Try to change your life style. 10-12 a day means there is a fixed pattern (more or less) the way, place or time when you smoke. Avoid (for a few days) going out with colleagues / friends for a cigarette break. The triggers will be generally stronger when you are relatively free. Keep yourself engrossed in activities / work you like.

The thing is currently you are in a mental frame of mind that the urge to smoke is never going to come down. That is because you have not seen or experienced the other side. Give yourself time. Try to prolong the next puff / cigarette as long as you can. Soon a time will come when your cravings will gradually reduce, provided you dont take that one puff. Give yourself a couple of month (and willingness not restart for any damn reason), and you will be through.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:55   #1472
Senior - BHPian

I smoked for about 10 years and haven't been smoking for the last decade or so.

I guess the black tooth stains never go away despite stopping ?
Old 16th March 2017, 12:57   #1473
BHPian

So I've been reading this thread and it seems like everyone is concerned about cancer caused by smoking. I know many people who smoke daily and some who over do it as well. I believe everything in moderation is enjoyable and would not cause as much harm as portrayed by warning signs. Yes, choices do come with consequences like weak lungs and constant carbon exposure. But, is it really that harmful if one smokes 3 cigarettes a day?

A weird instance is when one of my relatives passed away due to mouth cancer being a priest who never smoked or consumed tobacco, while another relative lived over a century. She smoked and drank whisky every day for several decades. If something has to happen it will. The world dwells on fear. Should we let it manifest into us or live by our own terms and face what comes?

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 16th March 2017 at 13:02.
Old 16th March 2017, 13:36   #1474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
The world dwells on fear. Should we let it manifest into us or live by our own terms and face what comes?

You can get well informed. Or not.
Old 16th March 2017, 14:04   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Lol. Apart from that, the post is OT, deserving of a separate thread of its own for those that want to misinterpret statistics and live life in the wrong lane, adopting an argument that has been discredited over forty years ago.
Old 16th March 2017, 15:07   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Lol. Apart from that, the post is OT ... ... ...
Well, yes. The thread is for those who want to give up (or, at least, for those who might just possibly give up one day; we all have to start somewhere) not those who are just fine with it.
Old 16th March 2017, 15:40   #1477
BHPian

I respect each one's opinion but is it really dangerous to smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day? In a world where you are forced to fear, isn't moderation a self-controlled and enjoyable practice! I believe people who over do anything will surely disrupt the balance. But, can balance not be maintained. Isn't that what most people do?
Old 16th March 2017, 15:55   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Physical addiction defined:
"In physical addiction, the body adapts to the substance being used and gradually requires increased amounts to reproduce the effects originally produced by smaller doses."

There will always be rare exceptions to the general rule, but nicotine is one of those substances that very few can form a habit of taking without it becoming an addiction that is balance destroying by its nature. There have been no studies done of the effects of smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day for decades, probably because it is not easy to get a good sample size of such people. Besides, the effects of things like tar and the like are known to be cumulative; check the teeth if you can find someone that has done that and you will get a fair approximation of what happens inside the lungs. Where, unlike with teeth, you cannot go to a dentist every 6 months to get the stains removed.
PS: See: http://whyquit.com/pr/041210.html

Last edited by Sawyer : 16th March 2017 at 16:01. Reason: PS
Old 16th March 2017, 16:04   #1479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I respect each one's opinion but is it really dangerous to smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day? In a world where you are forced to fear, isn't moderation a self-controlled and enjoyable practice! I believe people who over do anything will surely disrupt the balance. But, can balance not be maintained. Isn't that what most people do?
Think about it this way: you smoke 1 cigarette a day (never mind 2-3) for 60 years and are absolutely fine. Then you get lung cancer and die a slow painful death. Sure, you could have got it without smoking a single cigarette. But would you want to be in this position? All you will feel is regret...what if???

If you are a regular smoker you at least assume the risk associated with a lifestyle choice. Here you are not committing to the lifestyle but suffering the consequences nevertheless.

A Bambaiyya witticism captures it perfectly: Khaaya peeya kuch nahi, glass phoda baara aana (Didn't eat or drink anything but broke a glass and was billed 75 paise!)
Old 16th March 2017, 16:42   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Sure, you could have got it without smoking a single cigarette. But would you want to be in this position? All you will feel is regret...what if???

A Bambaiyya witticism captures it perfectly: Khaaya peeya kuch nahi, glass phoda baara aana (Didn't eat or drink anything but broke a glass and was billed 75 paise!)
This is debatable and stands true either ways. I do believe that eliminating risk factors is a means to ensure lack of health problems. But, is it worth the regret of not enjoying a smoke or drink at your heart's will!

Anyway, I believe quitting is choosing the opposite of your desire. If you desire something, do it. Maintain the balance and try to detoxify on regular intervals. Enjoy the best of both worlds. Riding a motorcycle is a risk but we do it for reasons we cannot justify. I believe the same applies to smoking and every other intoxication.

Just like a motorcycle ride, smoking too needs caution and control. Over do it and you are at a risk! That's all from my end. I smoke intermediately. I do manage to control my urges well and only smoke when I want to. I smoke about 10 cigarettes in a week. The pattern of indulgence is random. At times I end up smoking 3 to 4 cigarettes a day or would not smoke anything for consecutive days.

I hope every member stays healthy and fearless. Don't let the world defy your heart. Balance your senses and mind; to enjoy the most of this mortal world. At least as of now, we are all bound to death nonetheless.

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 16th March 2017 at 16:44.
Old 16th March 2017, 17:38   #1481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is debatable and stands true either ways. I do believe that eliminating risk factors is a means to ensure lack of health problems. But, is it worth the regret of not enjoying a smoke or drink at your heart's will!
The irony is that you can never ensure this. Statistics show that 10-15% of lung cancer deaths in the US are never-smokers. So on the surface, it seems you have a valid point.

But here are some facts to consider:
  • Never-smokers have a lower probability of getting lung cancer than smokers (both active and quit smokers)
  • Quit smokers have a lower probability of getting lung cancer than active smokers
  • The longer you are quit, the better your chances of not getting lung cancer than an active smoker
CDC's fact sheet on quitting smoking puts it simply and well:
Quote:
People who stop smoking greatly reduce their risk for disease and early death. Although the health benefits are greater for people who stop at earlier ages, there are benefits at any age. You are never too old to quit.
Even scarier:
Quote:
Even people who smoke fewer than five cigarettes a day can have early signs of cardiovascular disease.
Now in the light of the above, why wouldn't you quit completely and improve your odds?

Quote:
Anyway, I believe quitting is choosing the opposite of your desire. If you desire something, do it. Maintain the balance and try to detoxify on regular intervals. Enjoy the best of both worlds.
Please explain what you mean by "detoxify". There is so much mumbo-jumbo passed around as science these days that people have started believing that if they go on a fruity/nutty/vegan/whatever diet every now and then their body is cleansed of all "toxins". Doesn't work that way, buddy!
Quote:

Riding a motorcycle is a risk but we do it for reasons we cannot justify. I believe the same applies to smoking and every other intoxication.
Bad analogy. Riding a bike carries a risk, like everything else but taking reasonable precautions allows you to minimise that risk. How exactly do you propose to minimise the risk of lung cancer from smoking, other than completely quitting? Do explain!

Quote:
I smoke intermediately. I do manage to control my urges well and only smoke when I want to. I smoke about 10 cigarettes in a week. The pattern of indulgence is random. At times I end up smoking 3 to 4 cigarettes a day or would not smoke anything for consecutive days.
Is there anything special in the pattern you describe that makes you less susceptible to disease than any other smoker?
Quote:
I hope every member stays healthy and fearless. Don't let the world defy your heart. Balance your senses and mind; to enjoy the most of this mortal world. At least as of now, we are all bound to death nonetheless.
Wonderful. Please do all of that if you really choose to. But I hope it's not just a rationalization for the fact that you just cannot quit smoking!
Old 16th March 2017, 18:00   #1482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Over do it and you are at a risk! That's all from my end.
Fine. Good.

Enjoy, but your enjoyment has no place in this thread. And your misinformation doesn't help either.

If you think I'm being hard on you, it is nothing to how hard I had to be on myself to achieve giving up.

I know a couple of people who can smoke occasionally, not even thinking about it for weeks. Sometimes I've wished that I could do that, but, like the vast majority of smokers, I absolutely can not. And even those occasional cigarettes are going to be bad for lungs.
Old 16th March 2017, 18:43   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe quitting is choosing the opposite of your desire.
About the only thing I agree with you: which is also the reason for my preferred approach to the topic of this thread, that the easy way to the objective is via flipping over the usually approach from quitting, which conveys sacrifice, to choosing to be free of nicotine, by not being a slave to it. It is a lot easier to choose to be free than to get into a quitting tug of war with smoking, and like many other things in life, attitude determines your altitude, which in this case refers to how easy or hard the objective is to attain.

The rest of your views that the objective itself is questionable belong to a new thread that you need to open if moderators permit, because they are not useful or relevant to the topic of this thread.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:04   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
All smokers need to understand that the enjoyment you get from a cigarette, any kind of pleasure to your senses etc etc are what non smokers feel all the time.
BTW, this is coming from a smoker; trying hard to quit. Has reduced over the years.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:20   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Statistics show that...
I do not wish to continue further but I made a point and it is as valid as it can be. Talking about statistics, I could pull a bazillion ones talking about breathing air in most metropolitan cities of India is equivalent to smoking a couple of packs of cigarette daily. It does not make sense to quit the city life, does it?

I'm glad you have quit and support your move. I believe the entire smoking scenario ending in Lung or some other cancer is a tad bit over hyped.

Also, the bike analogy is perfect. Think about it. Speaking about detoxification, there are several methods to heal your lungs. Quit intermediately, hike and breathe clean air every once a while. There are thousand other methods. Google will help anyone find the rest.

I can quit smoking but it is my choice to hangout with family and friends while enjoying a smoke. I respect yours, you respect mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fine. Good.

Enjoy, but your enjoyment has no place in this thread. And your misinformation doesn't help either.

If you think I'm being hard on you, it is nothing to how hard I had to be on myself to achieve giving up.
Kudos mate. Good job on quitting it. In a forum meant for discussions, why so serious! A healthy conversation will make you wiser. Learn to respect views as expressed rather than enforcing your way like the society has done to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
About the only thing I agree with you: which is also the reason for my preferred approach to the topic of this thread, that the easy way to the objective is via flipping over the usually approach from quitting, which conveys sacrifice, to choosing to be free of nicotine, by not being a slave to it. It is a lot easier to choose to be free than to get into a quitting tug of war with smoking, and like many other things in life, attitude determines your altitude, which in this case refers to how easy or hard the objective is to attain.

The rest of your views that the objective itself is questionable belong to a new thread that you need to open if moderators permit, because they are not useful or relevant to the topic of this thread.
Hahaha. While the world portrays the evil. It is up to you to choose what is evil for you! I presented a point that seemed to stir a whole new conversation. Quitting cigarettes is a choice. Everyone must have their own.

If quitting smoke reduces the risk of a disease and that is the way to be, then every human would have to live on limited resources without ever being intoxicated. Our anatomy does not support meat digestion, but as we all know it is a personal choice.

If we give up smoking and drinking, it would be a rather boring world

I mean to upset no one. I just want to have an open minded conversation. I understand that it has been a problem for many. But smoking packs of cigarette is not the way it was ever meant to be. I believe in self-control and would encourage that.

Last edited by Pratzgh1 : 16th March 2017 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks