Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 18:37   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post

QUIT = COMPLETELY OFF... PERIOD. Anything and everything else is "khud-khushi"
+1 to that. "Reducing" does not work most of the times.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:23   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
...please put your foot down when it matters! Ask yourself "How can I let ONE miserable ciggy win - dictate my life!?!"
I did. I left the last cig of the day out of my schedule today. Had a beer instead!
Old 1st March 2009, 23:26   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Good!

(But that, for me, was the toughest part of giving up: not smoking when drinking alcohol!)
Old 1st March 2009, 23:32   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

The hardest part for me is not smoking while driving. I can and have spent upwards of 24 hours at the wheel (DEL-CCU in 27 hours in Jan '05, DEL-CCU in 22 hours in Dec. '08), and the association of the cig with the steering is very strong for me. I am an extremely light social drinker, and although I did smoke with my alcohol, I suppose an association did not form. I also have a strong association of cigs with my cups of tea (usually endless, could be even 25 cups a day - I've cut back on tea just to avoid wanting to smoke).
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I did. I left the last cig of the day out of my schedule today. Had a beer instead!
Congratulations! Now say that again today... tomorrow.. and every other day/time you feel the urge... the "how can you..." statement can help psyche you up enough to be able to tide over the moment!

If it gets REALLY bad then pop a very strong menthol goli. You get some of these brands which are twice as strong as Halls (there was this one called ICE if I remember ). That really helps - BUT remember - it is fattening , and the story going around is too much of that can leave you 'lean' in other areas. I would ALWAYS carry a few of these menthols around initially - esp when going for a party! A lifesaver if there ever was one!

For me a Ciggy helped me THINK! I felt myself going a little numb in the head for the initial few weeks! I do most of my thinking when I am on the throne and when I drive - therefore started hating driving initially! I bought myself an handsfree and got into the habit of talking to a series of people - till such time that I reached my destination. I just HAD to keep my mind occupied! For the times on the throne, I picked up Crosswords and Sudoku with a vengance! That helped again!
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:28   #291
Senior - BHPian

This is a post which is mean for those who seriously want to quit smoking, whether they have already tried and failed or not even bothered to try.
As we all know, smoking is bad and if one did get into it, it is advisable to quit after some time, specially when one gets married, has kids etc.
As for me, been there, done that and quit! About 24 years ago! I want to share how I did it.
When I was puffing a fag, our cool lingo at that time, it was very cool and enjoyable. I really enjoyed my 'fags' Marlbolo toasted tobacco. In fact in college and a few years thereafter, I was a cool dude 6ft tall, long hair and had my green Amby. Cars were few in college in those days, I was just lucky in that none at home drove the car and I could sneak it to college. Today there may be parking issues in colleges.
Back to the subject. When I finally decided to stop, it still took me almost 1 year to do something concrete. I decided one day, with inspiration from nowhere, that the crux of the problem is not to light up the first cigi of the day. This was easily concluded, but could not be done, so I deferred the first cigi to 5.30PM. I was working in our factory and 5.30 was closing time, so I would be faster than the workers and go up to my room to light up after 5.30PM. Then, till I went to bed, I may have had even 20 pcs, but next day none till 5.30PM. By this method, I managed to learn to control the urge, and still know in the back of my mind that I can do it after 5.30. I did this for 3 months, then one day decided to stop completely.
When I stopped, it was a Sunday and I went home in the evening. I had my last cigi's at 11PM on Saturday, not even my brand, went to the terrace and destroyed the 2/3sticks in my pocket. And uttered, 'so God help me". I managed to abstain that Sunday, so day 1 was over. Then I told everyone that I have stopped. Ofcourse no one believed, clothes were still smelly but I was sure. And for 1 week I did not go to the factory, I sat at home, went to office with dad as I could never smoke near him. So that was added pressure. But most important was to tell everybody, so that if you started again you could be considered as a Eunach, no strenght to withstand. After only 3 days our representative was in town, we went to have dinner with beers. First thing I told him that I had stopped smoking, when he lit up he offered one to me as a test. I passed that test. Just like AA, one day at a time, I took one day at a time for a week, then decided to be clean for one month and after a month just stopped counting. So here I am, not smoked for 24 years.
There are 4 effects one notices after some time.
First, you get to smell cleaner air. It does make a difference.
Then you suddenly have some more money at your disposal, a daily expense has been cut.
But, the power of the cigi is also very strong. After a few days, it started coming in my dreams, and in the dream one cigi is lit and you awake just like when having a nightmare, and the first thought is " Oh s***, now I have to start from all over again. This is a nightmare just like one dreams of being involved in an accident, or whatever. This nightmare does reoccur a number of times, but decreases. The last one I had was after 5 years or so.
Lastly, you will see that your cough or spitting of mucus from lungs increases and then gradually tapers off. This is because when you start to smoke, a mucus is formed in your lungs. This is now not required, the body has to readjust. If you see your chest X-ray, as I saw in the presense of my mom, doctor clearly explained dark the shaddow on the lungs.

I went through all the posts on this thread before writing. I am glad that some have kicked the habit, in their own way. But a word of caution to those who want someone to give up, please do not nag them. No amount of pressure will do. It has to come from within and then the pressure to support has to come from within too. Say if you have a 16 hour flight, you are compelled not to smoke, it is an external pressure. But when you yourself tell the world that you have stopped, then it internal pressure created by you. And you have practiced to withstand the crave by 'fasting'. So you have to decide and act, generally you cannot be forced. Just see how many light up as soon as they exit the airport terminal building. i was offerd money, threats, had nicotine gum lying in my cupboard, articles were stuck near my study table etc.

To those who want to keep up smoking, that is fine, go ahead and do it. But do not tell others that as far as you are concerned, you will keep on doing it. There are weaker souls who want to stop and then try to console themselves by clutching onto such statements and say, see, even he is hooked.

I am proud of my achievement, though it was a long while ago. Anyone has questions, I shall reply, and I tried to be as detailed as possible.
Best of Luck on your endeavour, whoever want to follow. And all the best to those who have started this journey.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:40   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There are 4 effects one notices after some time.
First, you get to smell cleaner air. It does make a difference.
Then you suddenly have some more money at your disposal, a daily expense has been cut.
But, the power of the cigi is also very strong. After a few days, it started coming in my dreams, and in the dream one cigi is lit and you awake just like when having a nightmare, and the first thought is " Oh s***, now I have to start from all over again. This is a nightmare just like one dreams of being involved in an accident, or whatever. This nightmare does reoccur a number of times, but decreases. The last one I had was after 5 years or so.
Lastly, you will see that your cough or spitting of mucus from lungs increases and then gradually tapers off. This is because when you start to smoke, a mucus is formed in your lungs. This is now not required, the body has to readjust. If you see your chest X-ray, as I saw in the presense of my mom, doctor clearly explained dark the shaddow on the lungs.
Very interesting and useful for a smoker like me who wants to quit. Can you please let me know

1. Did you experience any withdrawal symptoms? if so how did you manage it?
2. Did it affect your ability to work normally in the initial days?
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:32   #293
Senior - BHPian

The first thing I did as a drinker and smoker was to force myself to drink without smoking,. That was really tough.
Then I made it a point not to smoke during weekends, used to have 2-4 with friends in office but never on weekends.
Then increased weekends to a week. THere were smoking weeks and non smoking weeks
Now that I know I have the control, I am quitting completely from today onwards. Wish me luck.

Oh yeah, I have chewing gums with me always . That helps.

Last edited by sammyboy : 2nd March 2009 at 18:34.
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:42   #294
BHPian

I had my first drag of a fag (yeah, yeah I know it must be tempting to have a go at me, what with drag and fag both featuring there, but hey, cut an old wheezer some slack, will ya?) in the 8th standard - bummed off my dad's pack of Panamas. Was a regular smoker by the first year of college. Would have been a regular earlier but for the fact that intense sporting pursuits ensured that I kept away as much as possible if I wanted to be on the teams. A spate of injuries meant long lay-offs and then recalcitrant selectors ensured that there was no motivation to keep away more often than lighting up. And so I went my merry ways, huffing and puffing. Although we too had our family custom of not smoking in front of the elders but it was also a pretty western or bohemian (as some would remark) set-up with not only all the men being smokers but many among the women-folk as well. An indulgent elder brother ensured that there was a regular supply of Dunhills, Pall Malls, etc. although I would often still bum a few Panamas off my dad who would smoke nothing else, unless it was the few cigars after special meals and the pipe, which was more for showing off the collection. The Panama was something else - they would be specially ordered from India every week by my old man during foreign assignments.

Anyway, by 1995 I was smoking 70 to 80 fags a day - I'll not contest anyone not believing the number. I don't remember the date, but it was most probably in the month of May, that I just quit. Just like that. 80 to 0 overnight. Yeah I know even the Rajdoot GTS braked better than that, but not bad for an unfit smoker. I guess I just realised the futility of it all, when I took cognisance of the fact that I was repeatedly walking out to the balcony to light up since I never ever subjected the family to secondary smoke. I stayed clean for five years.

This is getting too long drawn, so I'll tuck it up now. I lit up again in 2000 - a determined fella can find any number of justifications for his "misdeeds," and so I had mine - tensions, need to concentrate, I wasn't smoking as much anyway so I actually deserve encouragement (righteous indignitation perfected to the hilt!), etc., etc. Yeah I was now again smoking, but only about 10 t0 15 kingsizers. Subsequently, I whittled that down too. It was down to 6 or 7 fags a day until exactly one week ago. Haven't bought a cigarette since or bummed one from a friend. Came out of a meeting, lit the last one in the pack, smoked it happily with the car parked under a tree, crushed the empty packet and threw it into a trash can at a short distance on my side of the road (never played basketball but dunked this quite cleanly) and have managed to not succumb to the urge, especially when I'm having a drink. Let's see how long this phase lasts. Actually I don't say I have quit. I just don't quite feel like a smoke much any more - even the pangs while hootching have abated. I guess I'm just lucky in that I'm having an easy withdrawal.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:25   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Very interesting and useful for a smoker like me who wants to quit. Can you please let me know

1. Did you experience any withdrawal symptoms? if so how did you manage it?
2. Did it affect your ability to work normally in the initial days?
Basically, withdrawal symptoms are the crave for a drag. By controlling the urge for about three months I could finally overcome the urge. There are definitely the strong willed and the weak, but there are many in between, who are reasonably strong. So a little bit of training will not hurt.
Actually, no ability was affected, starting with the loo . Only you may tend to have a better appetite. Work, driving all were done normal as ever. This really seem to be all in the mind, to justify ligthing up the first. Just see Prabals post!
I would like to add that there are definitely other methods, but this helped me and I succeeded. Others may have different methods, how about a nagging mother in law?

Sammyboy, we all wish you luck.
Just reread my post, and remember to tell all that you have stopped. And if you fail, then........

Prabal, I just read your profile. You are younger than me, but I stopped 24 years ago! Please think about this.

Please note, the above comments are only for those who have given up, trying to give up or are contemplating.

Cheers Harit
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:52   #296
Senior - BHPian

Well harit that Nightmare which you had is so very true. Had one like 3 weeks ago!!
Woke up shocked but then it turned out to be just a dream:-)
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:55   #297
BHPian

My own experience with quitting cigarettes

I have not read all the previous posts on this thread, so some of what I write here may be repititive. But I feel I am in very good position right now to share my own experiences.

I started smoking in 3rd year of my engg. I was not heavy smoker - I smoked 4-5 per day, and an equal no. when I had drinks. But all along I knew that quitting smoking will be an important milestone in my life, I loved the moments when I smoked but I also hated succumbing to such dreadful habit. I tried quitting 2-3 times over a period of 10 years, but never succeeded beyond 10 days. This time, i.e. June'08, it just happened without any advance planning. There are many days when I stayed off cigarette when I spent the whole day at home. But on June 4 when I realized that I have not smoked at all the previous day in spite of it being a regular day at office, I just thought let me give it serious try this time. What I did differently this time was browsing internet and reading up the ills of smoking all over again (most of us any way know these facts), and more importantly the tips on how to encounter the urge during the initial few weeks. This really helped. The toughest urge would be the sense of loss (as if you have lost a long standing friend) just when you have successfully resisted the nicotine withdrawal symptoms in first 2 weeks. That sense of loss will be so acute that you will feel it is really not worth it if you have to forego all those sweet memories associated with your dear friend (who else, the cigarette). The second toughest urge would come when you booze and let your guard down.

So, I had some what easily stayed off the smoking for almost 5.5 months. And then it happened - I stayed with one of my best friends when I visited USA last November, and I thought I will smoke for just those 2 days, and I kept that promise (to myself) till I went on a long road trip in Jan'09 with a few friends. Since then I smoked a few times over drinks, once a week on average.

Now this thread made me remember one thing I always knew - The final and everlasting danger would be the complacency you develop when you stayed off the cigarette for more than 6 months. You will feel that quitting was actually lot easier than you imagined and that you can do it any time you want. But if you know that very few people successfully quit smoking second time around, you will not let the complacency creep in. In my case, that complacency some how crept in. But I promise to myself now that I will not smoke again, ever.
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:52   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Posted 9th Jan 2008
This time Iam sure I can quit it forever, hmmmm.......
SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION
Crossed 500 days successfully without even a puf (513 completed days to be precise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I don't remember the date, but it was most probably in the month of May, that I just quit. Just like that. 80 to 0 overnight........ I stayed clean for five years.

This is getting too long drawn, so I'll tuck it up now. I lit up again in 2000 - a determined fella can find any number of justifications for his "misdeeds," and so I had mine - tensions, need to concentrate,.
Quote:
But if you know that very few people successfully quit smoking second time around, you will not let the complacency creep in. In my case, that complacency some how crept in. But I promise to myself now that I will not smoke again, ever.
Prabal, nagvasireddy - Your posts remind me of my initial mantra "Success is a journey not a destination". Even after 500 days, the thoughts creep in sometimes on a rare combination occasions, but I resists reminding the no.of days hardwork behind it and the real freshness feel without that killing habit
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:03   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crossed 500 days successfully without even a puf (513 completed days to be precise)
Iv crossed around 60 days.
Frankly speaking now i don't feel like smoking even if my friends smoke in front of me or when am driving etc.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 2nd June 2009 at 20:06.
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:42   #300
BHPian

I have officially quit 5 times, been on the habit for about 1.5 years now. I know I started late at 20, and that too a Doc...I first tried it as a stress buster, but the nicotine gives you a real high. At least for me it lets me stay awake for 2-3 maybe even 4 days in a row and study.

Now that's no justification, just that I really know how this thing kills you. Before any of the symptoms crop up the worst thing that happens is the dependency created. You are now at the mercy of these little white cylinders! Flying to the US is just not easy anymore! I can never take those direct 17 hour flight! Even though the last time I traveled was Business Class, I loaded up on coke (the carbonated beverage) and watched movies to get my mind off things, couldn't sleep as I felt the urge! Disembarked and ran to the designated zones and was back to where it all started!

Oh well I have an exam tomorrow, and it's been around 15 minutes, time for my next white cylinder...Plan to kick this habit in a couple of weeks, after exams.

1 Thing I have done though which is something I'm proud of, usually never exceed 20(pack) a day. I've set my limit, now time to quit completely!

Most Viewed