Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 12:44   #436
BHPian

Hey fellas,

I have decided to kick the butt. It's my 6th day today without smokes.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:46   #437
Senior - BHPian

Good luck Wolfheart!
I'm approching a month on January 11. Hoping for the best.
Old 31st December 2009, 13:18   #438
BHPian

Great going guys
Old 1st January 2010, 04:54   #439
BHPian

Hey guys Happy new year to all of you. I'm glad to inform everyone that I celebrated new year's eve without a single puff. I was in the company of smokers even my Gf lit up a few Marlboros. I must admit that I was tempted more than once by that sweet smell of roasting tobacco and paper of a freshly lit marlboro lights ( darn you Philip Morris :-) ) but I didn't give in! It's only my sixth day but I stuck to my resolution and am very happy that I did. Good luck to all of you guys as well!
Old 1st January 2010, 18:00   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
It's only my sixth day but I stuck to my resolution and am very happy that I did. Good luck to all of you guys as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise;
I have not counted how many attempts were made to quit. But the last effort has been successful for the past 600+ days. Even couple of my previous attempts has crossed 400+ days, but got into the habit again with a casual puff.

The most important feel that I prefer to keep always at the corner of my heart is the extent of the damage my first puff caused & the efforts it takes to quit. This is to ensure that I never ever touch that in my life.
Iam successfully running for 730th day & in next 5 days I would be achieving the 2 yrs mark. But as I mentioned earlier, when you want to quit for lifetime, these numbers does not really matters (Just a stop to smile and continue). Would also like to highlight have done such landmark earlier before I got stuck myself again to this habit, hence the first puff is the real culprit
Old 1st February 2010, 23:22   #441
BHPian

@bblost - great signature. Congrats on kicking the cancer stick.
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:23   #442
BANNED

Hmm.., not bad at all. I thought this was just another of those threads but hey, you smokers(err, ex smokers) are rocking! Keep it up.

I don't smoke but feel that kicking the habit of smoking away is one of the greatest decisions one can make for ones life and family.
Cheers to all you guys who are doing it .
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:48   #443
BHPian

I used to be a chain smoker but got a serious inferiority complex from my folks so quit smoking altogether. It has been 6 months
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:11   #444
BHPian

Update

Hey Guys,

It's been over a month now and I have managed to stick it out without smoking. There's a remarkable change in my stamina, alertness energy levels and an overall feeling of well being. Food now tastes much better as well.

The downside:

I have been getting insane cravings for meat. I have been eating a lot of steak, lamb, mutton and mince in general. White meat and seafood just don't cut it for me anymore, I feel like devouring chunks of read meat almost everyday. Has anyone else been through a similar phase?

Another downside is that I get really annoyed with people smoking in my car now and hate the residual smell. How can I tell my mates to stop smoking in my car without coming across as a phallus head?
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:30   #445
Team-BHP Support

The blood sugar levels change when you smoke a cig.

So you are actually feeling hungry after a long time of having substituted smoke for food.
You might consider a couple of apples. I find them quite helpful to get over hunger pangs.

If these are friends of yours who smoke in your car, tell them that you have quit. The smoke makes you want to smoke and hence you would like to avoid temptation. If its strangers then kick them out of the car as its your car and your rules.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:51   #446
BHPian

As Committed

Hi All,

As committed, I'm here after approx 2 months.
It's been nearly one and half months since I touched the butt (I mean Cigarette Butt ).

I don't know, but I feel a slight increase in my body weight. And yes, it feels good now and saves a lot of money. I'm going for new seat covers for my Esteem
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:55   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quitting smoking is pretty easy, I stopped around 50 times.

But this time its serious, I reduced smoking in the last 6 months from 10 a day to 1-3 a day. I have a strange health issue related to my stomach and doctor adviced me to quit smoking. I struggled in the begining and was able to control for maximum 1 week, then used to restart and continue smoking for next two days (this used to happen mainly on weekends). I have been doing this for the last 2-3 months and fed up and feeling 'ashamed' myself. Last week I quit again and somehow controlled on weekend.

For me it is 8th day without cig.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2010 at 13:56.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:55   #448
BHPian

540 days and going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Hey Guys,

It's been over a month now and I have managed to stick it out without smoking. There's a remarkable change in my stamina, alertness energy levels and an overall feeling of well being. Food now tastes much better as well.

The downside:

I have been getting insane cravings for meat. I have been eating a lot of steak, lamb, mutton and mince in general. White meat and seafood just don't cut it for me anymore, I feel like devouring chunks of read meat almost everyday. Has anyone else been through a similar phase?

Another downside is that I get really annoyed with people smoking in my car now and hate the residual smell. How can I tell my mates to stop smoking in my car without coming across as a phallus head?
Hey wolf heart , I know what you are talking about mate. I started smoking on a college trip in 2001 and got hooked on to a brand called Garam (Gudang Garam). Wasnt able to quit and it went on till 2004 when I quit for 9 months before I went to UK, Damn, the UK climate got me back on the stick and got back to 20 pack marlboro reds a day. (Half my education loan is on smokes and drinks) The habit continued again from April 06 to May 2008. One day I just threw the whole pack out and decided to stop. Dont know why. My stamina had gone for a toss completely.

I used to weigh 70 kgs when I smoked, the day I stopped I started getting bad cravings for meat and only meat dont know why. Even if a vegetarian dish is yummy Ill still go for meat. Six months down the line I had gone to 80 kgs but the craving for meat never ceased. Let me tell you I used to eat meat before but It was never a compulsion and I could make do without it but now Its either cigarettes or meat and I choose meat. Have started everyday walks(6-9km a day) and that is getting my weight down now. So its been a no smoking time from May 08 to Jan 10.

Hang in there bro, you ll start realising the benefits of no smoking soon. Also since Iquit (like you said) I cant bear the second hand smoke and neither the way the finger tips smell after smoking. I experienced this when I passed around a smoke from one friend to other.

PS- I did smoke 5-7 on new years but that was just a welcome break not getting back to it again.

Last edited by MihirC : 2nd February 2010 at 13:59.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:37   #449
BHPian

@ Bblost

I would love to kick the offenders out of my car at the risk of being a hypocrite. But I remember a time when I used to torment non smokers with my constant puffing on long road trips. My present ordeal is karmic I suppose!

@ mihir

You're right dude. This is off topic but you gotta try the Mutton Raan Peshawari at the Sky Lounge in Oshiwara. (if you're from Mumbai) it's awesome. I've been eating two every week. Also the steak at the Hard Rock cafe is one of the best I have had in this city
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:48   #450
Team-BHP Support

@Wolfheart: Since you are enjoying a meaty diet try out the Atkins diet.
Google it up for more info.

I would love to follow that diet but I don't consider it as a good one. Especially in the Indian context.
We add way too many spices and oil in preparing mutton.

If in doubt, choose boiled or grilled meat over gravy based.

When your sweat starts smelling like Vinegar, your protein intake is very high.
This may or may not happen to everyone.

Increase your intake of water. Stay away from carbonated drinks.

But under no circumstances pick up another cancer stick. Hang in there buddy, the devil will get off your back sooner than you imagine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks