Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:08   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@Wolfheart: Since you are enjoying a meaty diet try out the Atkins diet.
Google it up for more info.

I would love to follow that diet but I don't consider it as a good one. Especially in the Indian context.
We add way too many spices and oil in preparing mutton.

If in doubt, choose boiled or grilled meat over gravy based.
I observe that you're from the land of Biryani and Chicken 65.(my stomach is growling with hunger) Gotta hand it to you guys in Hyderabad man, one can walk into any restaurant anywhere and the food is awesome (and reasonably priced) everywhere. You'd have to be Sherlock Holmes to find a lousy Biriyani in Hyderabad!
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:12   #452
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bros,

Just keep your mind very strong. It will be a great temptation every day you don't smoke. Be strong try to not to touch.If you control for a month them if you have will power you can give up. Me a Chain smoker. But I gave up for the past 7 years.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:37   #453
BHPian

BBC News - Indonesian man loses his teeth in a cigarette explosion

Check this - it may help
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:39   #454
BHPian

If you really want to stop smoking, stay away from smokers for at least a couple of weeks. The cigarette smell is the major and worst temptation during this phase and might lure you back to smoking again. It worked for me really well though it is hard. If you can manage this a couple of weeks, then you will start to hate the smell of cigarettes.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:48   #455
BHPian

I used to smoke between 10 and 15 cigarettes a day, Then i woke up one day morning and decided to quit. Its been 2 years and a couple of months, Havent smoked a single cigarette nor do i hang out in the smoking bay or allow anyone to smoke when they are at my place Gained close to 13 kilos in these 2 years :-)

Its just your will power than wills power. Have a strong heart and nothing is impossible.

Quit coffee too for the initial days, that's what I did after some research and it helped

Believe me, It is going to be worth it!

Best of luck
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:26   #456
BHPian

Thanksfor the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@ Bblost

I would love to kick the offenders out of my car at the risk of being a hypocrite. But I remember a time when I used to torment non smokers with my constant puffing on long road trips. My present ordeal is karmic I suppose!

@ mihir

You're right dude. This is off topic but you gotta try the Mutton Raan Peshawari at the Sky Lounge in Oshiwara. (if you're from Mumbai) it's awesome. I've been eating two every week. Also the steak at the Hard Rock cafe is one of the best I have had in this city
Thanks for the the eat out place mate. OT again, the steak at HRC is beef or mutton . I dont have beef thats why I asked. And dude I from Mumbai itself.

Hang in there bro. Dont eat too much gum, I took to gum as an option to eating food but started eating more than 3- 4 orbit strips a day. The craving was that bad. 2 months down the line my teeth fillings started coming off man, that was bad .
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:56   #457
BHPian

@Mihir
Hope I don't get kicked out for going off topic but hey I quit smoking so now I've got nothing to talk about......except for food

The steak at HRC is beef dude. However most beef in Mumbai is actually buffalo meat as cow slaughter is illegal. But if you like mutton, you have to eat the mutton raan at Sky Lounge, it's heavenly!!
Old 4th February 2010, 01:11   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachigamer View Post
I used to be a chain smoker but got a serious inferiority complex from my folks so quit smoking altogether. It has been 6 months
I used to be a chain smoker, then I realised tobacco was safer...

(OK, groans all round... that joke must be 40 years old, I'll put it away for another 40 years)

For the first few weeks after giving up, I rather welcomed somebody smoking near me --- it was a sort of I'm not smoking illicit hit. Then I changed completely into a rabid and unreasonable anti-smoker. I'm not as bad as I was, but why should I not let someone know that their smoke makes my chest hurt? As to smoking in my home, car, etc, that is an absolute no, with no exception whatsoever.
Old 6th February 2010, 15:35   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
(...I stopped before Friday the 13th? - who knows...). Your comments, encouragements & reinforcements such as the ones below help to a large extent. Just FYI, been a smoker for 27 years.
Almost a year after the last attempt to quit (I went back on 1 April 2009), I quit again last night. Just like that. No preparations, no nicotine gum. Just threw away everything.

I've stoppped consuming a lot of things over the last year. I don't have mithai or any rice preparations any more (sacrilege for a Bong!). No red meat. Nothing fried. Zero dairy products. To that I've just added tobacco since yesterday.

Something deep inside says this is the final time I've quit. Don't ask me how, why etc. No more need to count hours and days, weeks and months without nicotine.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:39   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it, SS-Traveller!
Old 7th February 2010, 18:47   #461
BHPian

Machines to help quit smoking in Delhi

Just went through this thread. There are valuable advises from the ex smokers. Good for people who want to quit smoking.

Latest News
There was a news in the Times of India (5th Feb 2010) regarding german based machines to be introduced at Cancer Institute in Delhi which will help smokers to quit smoking.

As claimed by the company, only two sittings are required, on consecutive days, in which the machine, emitting alternate current, is attached to the body of the person for around 40 minutes. This machine is being sent for testing at AIIMS.

Here is the link for the same:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/5537005.cms

I hope that this will be a good news for those who need something other than their will power.

Last edited by Irish : 7th February 2010 at 18:48. Reason: TOI link added
Old 7th February 2010, 21:10   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Go for it, SS-Traveller!
Thanks, Nick, for the encouraging words.

I've lost the urge to smoke from day 1 (48 hours over before I realised it). Don't know how it happened. No craving. No withdrawal symptoms. Don't miss a cigarette between the fingers. This is totally unlike anything that happened to me everytime I've tried to quit in the past.

Any explanations?
Old 8th February 2010, 19:14   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

No, but you still have to store up some will power for those sneaky moments that occur, even up to years, later.

Forewarned is forearmed! ...as the saying goes.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:15   #464
Senior - BHPian

15th day without stick!! feels better
Old 16th February 2010, 17:06   #465
BHPian

Hello Buttkickers

In another ten days I'll be completing two months! How's everyone else doing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks