Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 15:34   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best to those who are trying to quit (actually, "trying" is no good: you have to just do it ) and who have just quit --- and to those who may still be getting the occasional pang months later.

Keep up the good work
Old 21st June 2010, 16:33   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar View Post
Hi Guys,
I have been smoking since 14 years and on th 1st June 2010 when i got up and i lighted a smoking, suddenly got a thought why not leave it.
I had only taken 2 puffs and i threw the Cigarette, and since that day i didn't touch it any more.

Hoping this was the last of Davidoff classic i will ever see.

Its little hard when you have 3-4 friends smoking in the same room, but i am very strong. Will not let Davidoff win
Great Job. Keep it up.

I quit on May 26th and didnt buy a single cigarette since then.

However, to be honest, i did take a couple of puffs a couple of times during weekend ( 2-3 puffs only on 2 consective saturdays while having some beverages).

But, i am totally amazed that even after that i still dont get an urge to go buy and start my regular smoking way.

I am playing with the cigarette and looks like i am coming out as the winner
Old 21st June 2010, 16:53   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! However... do not underestimate either the strength or the cunning of your opponent.

I too allowed myself one or two cigarettes after my giving up date. That was part of my 'contract', to allow for some lapse in the first couple of weeks only.
Old 7th September 2010, 23:18   #544
BHPian

I've been a very "balanced smoker" since year 2000 maintaining the count anywhere between 1-3 cigs per day. I've quit smoking in between for a couple of weeks but always got back with several excuses.

Lately I've stopped smoking (Reduced to 0-3 cigs per week) and its been 3 months as I stared with Gymming.
Old 7th September 2010, 23:30   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(Reduced to 0-3 cigs per week)
That has to be really Zero cigarettes per week before you can really say you have stopped. Think of that one or two as the tobacco addiction keeping a foothold. You have to evict it completely.

But hey, getting there... well done so far

(I did that in my first two week of giving up, then had just one about two weeks later, but zero was my intention, and, beyond a certain date I was not going to let myself get away with anything else. It's been 17 smoke-free years since then )

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th September 2010 at 23:32.
Old 7th September 2010, 23:43   #546
Senior - BHPian

any doctors in here?

If a smoker takes an Xray of his chest it is usually white in colour due to tar. after how many weeks/months of quitting will the chest Xray start looking normal?
Old 8th September 2010, 07:42   #547
Team-BHP Support

Crossed 2 years smoke free.

If I can, you can do it as well.
Quit Smoking.
Old 8th September 2010, 18:08   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quit smoking on May 26, 2010.

Since last month or little more, smoking 1-3 ciggs a "Week"

Most importantly, that blinding urge for a smoke has vanished
Old 8th September 2010, 18:26   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since last month or little more, smoking 1-3 ciggs a "Week"
Don't give in to the "weekness!".

As I said before, until it is zero a week you haven't quit.

It's all psychology, and Nicotine is one of the cleverest, strongest, meanest psychological-warfare opponents you could ever have. Almost impossible to beat.

Almost!
Old 8th September 2010, 18:29   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's all psychology, and Nicotine is one of the cleverest, strongest, meanest psychological-warfare opponents you could ever have. Almost impossible to beat.

Almost!
Agree! I've just completed eight months guys!
Old 8th September 2010, 18:43   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to you and to all who have won the battle.

Encouragement to all those who are still fighting it!
Old 8th September 2010, 22:47   #552
Senior - BHPian

Thad: What you said about making it zero is absolutely true.

Busy fighting it. Had quit for a month but when friends got together and we went camping. Thus 2 days flew by and i was blowing.

Now back to the grind and 2 days since i touched my last ciggie. Trident gums keeping me company. Guess i am the guy who has had the longest fight here!!!

I will quit!!
Old 8th September 2010, 23:09   #553
BHPian

Ramzan is coming to an end tomorrow and so the count is zero for the past 29 days. Inshalla! The longest ever for me. Before that my attempt was to keep it to one a day. I did that quite successfully for a period, but then when one sees certain old-places the cravings start, old friends, seeing usual haunts, heavy food. So it started to vary 1, 2, 3 back to 1. No more packets. I am sure I can do it post Ramzan. I go past the cig-shop every morning where I used to break before but no more...
Old 9th September 2010, 04:40   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Ramzan is coming to an end tomorrow and so the count is zero for the past 29 days. Inshalla! The longest ever for me. Before that my attempt was to keep it to one a day. I did that quite successfully for a period, but then when one sees certain old-places the cravings start, old friends, seeing usual haunts, heavy food. So it started to vary 1, 2, 3 back to 1. No more packets. I am sure I can do it post Ramzan. I go past the cig-shop every morning where I used to break before but no more...
I quit smoking on 2 Sept 2008.
When Ramzan began.

The best time to get rid of this dirty habit.

God Willing you will be able to get rid of it forever.

Remember, you are already clean. Your body has gotten over the addiction. Its only your mind that is still trapped. You will need to use your will power. Your body has won, your mind will prevail. All the best.

Everytime you get the urge to smoke, remind yourself. Its just that you will smoke, but after sometime. May that sometime never come. DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE TEMPTATION. Don't even take a single puff. That is all it takes to grab you back.
Old 9th September 2010, 05:24   #555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Busy fighting it. Had quit for a month but when friends got together and we went camping. Thus 2 days flew by and i was blowing.
Your friend who does not know you have quit offers you a puff of his lit cigarette - that would be the hardest call you would have to make. There is a social aspect to smoking that needs to be addressed. Try to stay away from places where you know there is a need to socialize with smokers while they are at it. If you cannot avoid being there, then the first words coming out of the mouth should be, I have quit. If there is a lot of joking around the topic of quitting - try changing the topic. Cricket scam, or weather or what not. If nothing works, walk away and get back to your friends after a few minutes. If your friends are chain smokers, then you obviously have way too much risk with second hand smoke. Time for new friends??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks