Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 14:13   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Today morning, I completed a week of no smoking.
One of the motivational aids used was a chart which lists out the health benefits gained on a min/hour/day/week/month/year basis - I keep ticking the milestones I achieved. Posting it for the benefit of those who want to quit.

• 20 minutes : Your blood pressure, pulse rate & the temperature of your hands / feet will all return to normal.

• 8 hours : Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction

• 12 hours : Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal & carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal

• 24 hours : Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels

•48 hours : Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow & your sense of smell / taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.

• 72 hours : Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.

• 5 - 8 days : The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them

• 10 days : The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.

• 10d - 2wks : Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.

• 2 to 4 wks : Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician

• 21 days : Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.

• 2 wks - 3m : Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.

• 3 wks - 3m : Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.

• 1-9 months : Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.

• 1 year : Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.

• 5 - 15 yrs : Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.

• 10 years : Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.

• 13 years : Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).

• 15 years : Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
supremeBaleno is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:50   #692
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations SupremeBaleno. I have just completed three years. Cutting down from close to 40 to zero overnight, it is easily the most difficult thing I have done in my life. And I am sure you will agree. I still get cravings and pangs and worst part is they happen in the least expected situations. The only way to stay quit is not to have even a single puff again. I know myself very well. If I give even one puff I will slide back to the 40 sticks a day trap very soon.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:06   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Congrats sB. It has been 6th year since kicking the butt. From 10-15 a day to zero on one fine day in 2005

It is really heartening to know the benefits of quitting put up by you.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:16   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team
it is easily the most difficult thing I have done in my life.
Amazing way to put it. And indeed so true.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:05   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats!! supremebaleno on quitting, you have taken the path to a better life. It would be better not to count days, just forget that you had smoked all these years & think some burden has gone away from your head It will be a challenge throughout every smokers life after quitting to remain consistent even when subject to high stress & drinking, The day I quit I was left with 3 cigarettes, I still have them, look at them everyday & remind myself that the challenge is ON, do not fall into the nicotine web.

It has been 45 days of my life, I know it is too early to conclude if I have successful quit but I am confident that I won't take a puff again.

When you are too stressed, try red grape juice(no sugar added), it will take give you a buzz. Now you are not spending money on cigs, time to spend those on modding your baleno (FFE, air filter..)
Old 13th July 2011, 19:27   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I still get cravings and pangs and worst part is they happen in the least expected situations. The only way to stay quit is not to have even a single puff again. I know myself very well. If I give even one puff I will slide back to the 40 sticks a day trap very soon.
Exactly my situation as well. One puff & Iam back to square-1, where I spent 20 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
All of sudden decided not to smoke from Sunday (6th Jan'07) and was able to successfully get away with it for the past 3 days and going strong.

This time Iam sure I can quit it forever, hmmmm.......

SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION
1650th Day...successful day without even a puff. Benefits are numerous & I enjoy it a lot.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:03   #697
Senior - BHPian

Love your new signature SupremeBaleno. And I fully agree with what Mr Bean and Surprise say. In my mind, there are three types of people in this world - those who smoke, those who have never smoked and those who used to smoke. We belong to the third category. Only we know what we have done. And we are proud of it. When I think about it I feel supremely strong and confident.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 10:23   #698
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Vinod. Indeed counting days is futile, this is a challenge for lifetime as you said. I have 9 cigarettes from the last pack, but unlike you I don't want to to have them within reach (why tempt fate?) - so threw them out of reach, but still inside the home.

BTW I so want an FFE (for the sound, nothing else), but worried about reliability issues - hence holding back. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team
there are three types of people in this world - those who smoke, those who have never smoked and those who used to smoke.
And those who never smoked would not understand what the big deal is about quitting smoking.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:20   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

supremeBaleno- congrats on quitting the cancer stick. Nobody can deny it's a struggle to stay quit but I would advise you to think of it as YOU making a choice not to smoke, which will empower you rather than think "If I have one cigarette, I will fall off the wagon and become a smoker again", which is defeatist thinking.

There are times when one is sorey tempted and, proud as I am of having resisted the urge to smoke again, I dont sweat it with thoughts like, the worst is upon me. Just choose not to smoke another after that first one. It will get easier.
Old 28th July 2011, 15:29   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been nearly twenty years...

And yet, in a dream where I was chatting with an old friend, we were both smoking.

I forget when she gave up, after me, I think, but still a long time back. Her husband, who is my oldest brother-like friend, gave up even earlier, and, as a previously heavy smoker, was one of my if-he-can-do-it-so-can-I inspirations.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:05   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely man!! That is really a giant leap towards healthy life. In fact, quitting is much easier now. At least for me, it worked for me when I used to think "I am not going to smoke, I will withstand this craving" whenever I used to get the craving and it worked.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:11   #702
BHPian

Congrats to all Quitters!! I have kicked the BU## for three months, the last being on the day little anushka was born. Apart from the usual " Happy " feeling, it has also resulted in a lot of savings!! I did not know that I was spending so much on smoke
Old 28th July 2011, 19:16   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Congrats to all Quitters!! I have kicked the BU## for three months, the last being on the day little anushka was born. Apart from the usual " Happy " feeling, it has also resulted in a lot of savings!! I did not know that I was spending so much on smoke
Even I kicked the Bu** around five months back when my daughter anishka was born Happy parenting.

Last edited by OHCVtec : 28th July 2011 at 19:16. Reason: spelling
OHCVtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 11:59   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Even I kicked the Bu** around five months back when my daughter anishka was born Happy parenting.
Hey nice name . Our daughters names rhyme Yeah happy parenting to you too. Hope you are getting some sleep.We are almost entirely without sleep.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:04   #705
Team-BHP Support

Very happy for both of you. Its just a matter of time before all the poison gets out of the body and its ill effects fade away.
But stay on guard forever.
All the best.
And wish me the same.

I complete 3 years (Islamic Calendar) this August first week. I had quit on first Ramadan in the year 2008.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks