Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 12:14   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

it is a danger. Gum should be used with great discipline only.

Having said that, a friend who gave up before I did (one of my inspirations) allowed himself the occasional (as in every few weeks) gum for quite a while. Still he became nicotine-free.

But, anyone who just replaces smoking with chewing is still an addict.

Welcome to the new non-smokers, maddy42, deky, suhaas307.

Deky, you are right: debate does not lead to giving up. Only decision does. It's hard-line, but it has to be.
Old 14th October 2011, 17:04   #782
BHPian

In my case, Nico-gums helped - used them for about 10 days and stopped. Started with 5 on day-1, the usage automatically came down without even my knowledge!

BTW, completed 3 smoke-free weeks y'day.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 14th October 2011 at 17:05.
ch.nathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 17:38   #783
Team-BHP Support

Thank you Thad.

Some of my friends are the roll-their-own types too. And we sit together for a few hours everyday and have this jam session. there is a lot of smoke around, and it's very hard to control yourself. I can't, not attend these sessions. Music, just like cars, is one of my passions. I cannot live without it. So this is going to be even harder for me!
Old 15th October 2011, 01:54   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

The hardest thing will (if you do) will be going through the intolerant (physically and/or mentally) of smoke stage.

But hey... one step at a time
Old 15th October 2011, 10:36   #785
Team-BHP Support

I'd like some help with this.

Now most of my friends smoke. And I've hung out with them for years now. I don't want to stop hanging out with them, and I don't want to stop jamming with them. Like I said, music plays a very important role in my life.

How do I sit in the jam-room without feeling the urge to pick up a cigarette and firing it up? Because it's so very easy to do that.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:07   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no answer, other than self-discipline and ...coping with it.

Sounds like you are going to be getting plenty of second-hand smoke!
Old 15th October 2011, 12:13   #787
Team-BHP Support

Does sound like it.

But we have a new entrant in our group of friends. A two month old Great Dane puppy. And now with the new toy in the house, the guys have decided to have a separate room for smoking. Phew! I wonder how long that's going to last.

But I'm going to urge them not to smoke around the pup. Why should the poor thing suffer too?
Old 15th October 2011, 17:07   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Love it. They won't give up smoking for another human, but they will for the puppy! This is as crazy as my fellow English!

Seriously, though, good for them for respecting the young creature's lungs, and you and the dog can keep each other company while the others smoke.

(ps... my user id is musical: did you spot it?)
Old 16th October 2011, 00:10   #789
Senior - BHPian

I was a chain smoker with 20 sticks of Dunhills a day. Now I am a non smoker. It was a hell during the transition. All you need is a warning of death and will power. You can quit. Situation came to me and I gave up in 2002 and living till now after coming out of ICU.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 00:33   #790
BHPian

hi everybody
first the idea of quitting is more difficult than the act itself
It is easier to quit when you have a cold
Tea coffee liquor sugar playing cards trigger a desire to smoke
Clove/cardamom/ordinary bubble gum etc helps in quitting.It takes care of the oral satisfaction
rgds
Old 16th October 2011, 03:00   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

And yet... when I was in hospital, I was told about people who had half their lungs removed, but still sneaked out for a smoke. Unbelievable? Suicidal!

Fear is just about the biggest incentive. Hats off to those on this thread who are managing to give up before they hit a major health crisis.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 11:08   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Love it. They won't give up smoking for another human, but they will for the puppy! This is as crazy as my fellow English!

Seriously, though, good for them for respecting the young creature's lungs, and you and the dog can keep each other company while the others smoke.

(ps... my user id is musical: did you spot it?)
I'm sorry Thad, but this is the first time I haven't got you?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
hi everybody
first the idea of quitting is more difficult than the act itself
It is easier to quit when you have a cold
Tea coffee liquor sugar playing cards trigger a desire to smoke
Clove/cardamom/ordinary bubble gum etc helps in quitting.It takes care of the oral satisfaction
rgds
It's true. The idea of quitting is harder to digest than quitting itself.

But when I have a cold, I'd want to smoke even more! I'd get myself a pack of menthols that would keep me company during my cold. It some how made me feel a whole lot better!

Tea, coffee, etc. play a huge role. It's like an accompaniment.

Clove/cardamom/bubble gum can be as addictive as cigarettes themselves, if you choose to replace cigarettes with these things. It's never a good idea to substitute an addiction with something than can potentially be addictive too! If you feel the urge, instead of chewing gum, get yourself a glass of water, and sip onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And yet... when I was in hospital, I was told about people who had half their lungs removed, but still sneaked out for a smoke. Unbelievable? Suicidal!

Fear is just about the biggest incentive. Hats off to those on this thread who are managing to give up before they hit a major health crisis.
Much like me. I have an acute lung condition. It's hereditary. And a few years back, it got quite serious, and I found myself in the hospital for a day. I quit for a few weeks after that, but it was only a matter of time before I picked up a cigarette.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th October 2011 at 11:11.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:20   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhaas, if you really truly choose to quit, nobody and nothing can make you pick up another cigarette again.

I still go for smoke breaks with my buddies at work. Not as a "test" or anything but because it's fun- of course I stick to chai only. Jam sessions and gigs with everyone but me puffing away are a regular occurence. Last night was a potent combination of factors: a gig in a smoker-friendly bar, good music, friends, rainy weather and some emotional stuff on the side. I didn't get tempted even once. Trust me it gets easier.

You're still young- about the age I started smoking- and I hate to sound preachy but this is the best time to quit. I stuck with the habit for nearly 15 year, a weird love-hate relationship with the stick that eventually sucked more out of me than I did out of it! Good luck.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 18:50   #794
Senior - BHPian

It was my 1st "smoke free" month anniversary yesterday. I completely forgot about it, only to be reminded by the "quitnet" mailer. I guess its gradually becoming normal for me not to smoke. I mean really, how many of us actually kept count of how many days had it been exactly since we began smoking. I guess "to not smoke" should be given a chance at the same "naturalness(??)" and ease that we gave to our smoking days. Dont know if this makes sense.

Wanted to share something with the group though. I have this recurring dream where I am smoking, and almost half way though the cig I blurt out, "OH NO, I had given up smoking. How did I start again?" I then wake up and it takes me a few seconds to realize that it was a dream (yes, the dream feels pretty real). Not sure what to make of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Because it's so very easy to do that.
It sure is. But remember, whatever you are enduring now will be for nothing. You would start from scratch and relive the cycle. Or worse, decide quitting is not your thing and pay with your health later (god forbid). I guess just as we made a habit of smoking, we have to make a habit of not smoking. Music is your love and you must definitely not give up on that. All of us have friends or situations where we will be around smokers. Its inevitable. But its no excuse to give in. If we do, we only have our lack of will to blame. Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Trust me it gets easier.
Totally agree. Its not just a punchline. It really is the truth. I have to say I am a lot more relaxed around smokers now and the urge to smoke has gown down 10 fold. Thanks to you for your support Noop.

Edit -

@Thad - What do you mean your ID is musical?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 16th October 2011 at 18:54.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 00:28   #795
BHPian

@urban nomad
Statistics show that most who quit go back within a month.
As you have now quit for more than a month it will get easier
Even 1 cigarette can trigger the habit again

@suhaas 307
Clove/cardamom/bubblegum can be addictive but it is easier to quit these than cigarettes.Also not damaging to anybodys health.Stick to sugarfree but bear in mind the effects of aspartame.

Last edited by Amartya : 17th October 2011 at 08:35. Reason: Merged back to back posts (saw your acknowledging Rudra Sen's message earlier, appreciate it)
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed