Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 18:23   #886
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Folks,

I complete 1 year of tobacco free life today :-)

The cold turkey method worked for me & for all those looking to quit, I feel it is the best approach to quit smoking. On the health side, the benefits are quite evident after 6 months of smoke free life.

The urge to smoke comes at time, but I feel it is battle that will stay on for life.

Rgds,
Old 27th May 2012, 18:26   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

Well said Mr Bean and congratulations on your milestone!

Agree with you and would go a step further and say that cold turkey is not only the best way to quit, it is the ONLY way!
Old 27th May 2012, 18:38   #888
Senior - BHPian

Congrats...keep going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

The urge to smoke comes at time, but I feel it is battle that will stay on for life.

Rgds,
I remind myself on the battle that was fought to get to this stage. It negates the temptation that keeps popping out rarely. Having lived with the benefits of non-smoker (after having smoked cigg like anything), never ever want to get back to that habit. I knew even a single puff would spoil the show
Old 27th May 2012, 22:01   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I fancied a smoke the other day. I don't know why, it just came over me.

The urge wasn't that strong, though. Even if I had given in to it, the inclination to smoke would have been less than the disinclination to walk to the shop.

(non smokers are not necessarily healthier! )
Old 10th June 2012, 18:57   #890
BHPian

I've not smoked since last 5 weeks 2 days.
Overcame not smoking during drinking, with friends and with good bangalore weather.
Now with each passing day i'm feeling good.
Old 10th June 2012, 21:30   #891
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done, welcome to No Smoking World

Remember to keep your guard up: you never know how it will try to get to you.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:10   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I've not smoked since last 5 weeks 2 days.
Overcame not smoking during drinking, with friends and with good bangalore weather.
Now with each passing day i'm feeling good.
Welcome to ex-smokers group. For me I am going to complete 2 months on 20th of this month since i quit smoking.

Now the biggest challenge for recent quitters like you and me is to stay quit the entire life - Resist all temptations, be mentally prepared for all situations (stress, celebrations, parties etc.) and pass through these situations without lighting up (not even 1 drag)

For me, though it is almost 2 months, i still get independent craving ON and OFF. Independent craving means not because someone is smoking in front of me (since that stage is already passed and even if someone smokes in front of me, i wont get tempted), but for no reason out of blues i feel like smoking. I spoke to some people who quit smoking many years back and they told me, first 3 months are toughest to pass after that you will learn to live with cravings. Cravings will be there entire life but you will become an expert asking your mind to ignore it and learn to live with that craving
Old 10th June 2012, 23:20   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Cravings will be there entire life but you will become an expert asking your mind to ignore it and learn to live with that craving
Something like what Dr. John Nash (a brilliant mathematician)did, substitute cravings for 'voices in the head'.
Old 16th June 2012, 19:18   #894
BHPian

Hello!

I am the stop-start kind of a quitter. Adding to it that I like to run does not help matters. It decreases stamina.

I quit for 30 days (and have had several attempts before) but the stick got me about 2 weeks back.

I'm going to make another attempt tomorrow morning. Any words of encouragement are welcome.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:21   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any words of encouragement are welcome.
Giving up smoking is easy: I've done it lots of times.

But of course, you haven't: not until you actually do. Whether or not you actually do is up to you.

Go for it!

Old 16th June 2012, 21:24   #896
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86
Hello!

I am the stop-start kind of a quitter. Adding to it that I like to run does not help matters. It decreases stamina.

I quit for 30 days (and have had several attempts before) but the stick got me about 2 weeks back.

I'm going to make another attempt tomorrow morning. Any words of encouragement are welcome.
I quit a month ago on account of a medical issue. I hope to stay away this time forever. I do crave an occasional cigar but have been successful in avoiding them so far.
Old 16th June 2012, 23:16   #897
BHPian

Didnt get the chance to smoke myself, and giving it up isn't an issue, so my "advice" might be easier said than done... but the way I see it is... medical problems and health concerns might not be a strong enough reason to keep away. Maybe the image of your girl friend or wife having to kiss an ashtray (you! ) will be a stronger anti-stimulus?
Old 16th June 2012, 23:36   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello!

Abhishek
Hi
After a month it becomes easier but the urge remains forever.No 2 ways about it.
Sugar and liquor trigger a craving more than anything else.It is easier to quit when you are suffering from a cold.
Cleves,cardamom,bubblegum etc take care of the oral satisfaction part.
Good luck to you.
Regards
Old 16th June 2012, 23:48   #899
BHPian

It is now more than 2 years I quit the habit of 20+ years. I wud recommend the Cold-Turkey method strongly.

Yes I still have the occasional urge when I am out partying and with friends who smoke. The early morning smokers cough is a thing of past, wife and kids are happy.

But there are times when I tell them - if smoking was not so harmful to my health, I would probably give up anything / everything just to have that lungful. Sadly it is the most dangerous of all the vices. So no choice but to stay strong and stay away.

Every person has different levels of tolerance. Cold turkey might not work for every one. Please use the aids available in market - Nicorette patches / gums.

Good luck folks.
Old 17th June 2012, 04:04   #900
BHPian

Thad how could you summarize the whole psychological reasoning in just a few words? Very true. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Giving up smoking is easy: I've done it lots of times.

But of course, you haven't: not until you actually do. Whether or not you actually do is up to you.

Go for it!

Shankar I was talking to an ex smoker today. He said he did not miss smoking or 'just one' because 'just one' is never one since they travel in packs. He went to say that the day I realize smokes do absolutely nothing is when I'll be free forever. I think I'll pay heed to what he said. Made a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I quit a month ago on account of a medical issue. I hope to stay away this time forever. I do crave an occasional cigar but have been successful in avoiding them so far.
Hi Sir,

Physical withdrawal I've dealt with before a few times so that is not an issue. Oral gratification is also taken care of by chewing sugar free gum. Guess I fail myself around day 20- 30 when I forget about all the misery I suffered to reach that stage and think one is acceptable. Will keep in mind it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Abhishek
Hi
After a month it becomes easier but the urge remains forever.No 2 ways about it.
Sugar and liquor trigger a craving more than anything else.It is easier to quit when you are suffering from a cold.
Cleves,cardamom,bubblegum etc take care of the oral satisfaction part.
Good luck to you.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks