Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 17:22   #931
BHPian

Holy! How can you smoke 50 a day? Thats like smoking every 15 minutes. Kudos to you Rohit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit2207
I was a chain smoker once and had made several half hearted and futile efforts to quit. I had reached the stage when I was smoking 50 cigs. a day!! But one fine day after my daughter was born somehow I firmly decided that I would quit on her first birthday which was a month ahead. I gave myself to smoke as many cigs. as I could but stuck on the date to quit. And I did
Old 25th June 2012, 17:28   #932
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

6 weeks and counting. Never again all going well.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:38   #933

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Holy! How can you smoke 50 a day? Thats like smoking every 15 minutes. Kudos to you Rohit.
Thanks Abhishek. I reached this figure because there were many smokers at my work place and the smoking law not that stringent, so if had just finished smoking and would see my boss or someone else smoking, I used to light another In fact it was the figure of 50 that I had reached which made me worry and take a firm decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The best thing you can gift yourself !You are just following what you have written as your signature

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2012 at 02:14. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:34   #934
BHPian

Hello I am on day 5 and not at all affected by withdrawal. I am a little irritated in general but its manageable and I am coping well.

However I am noticing weight gain as a consquence of quitting. I plan to start running again and shed it all within 3-4 weeks.

I must say I feel happy. However I am very cautious because nicotine has trapped me before much further in my quit.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:10   #935
BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After a year or two, you actually wonder what all the fuss was about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
As a non-smoker, I often do wonder what the fuss is all about
Two and half years since I quit and I still get the occasional urge to smoke. Giving up smoking is one of the most difficult thing to do but at the same time I feel happy I did.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:30   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Two and half years since I quit and I still get the occasional urge to smoke.
Seven and Half years since i quit and yesterday got this sudden urge to light up while having a cuppa on our office terrace cafeteria. It was a pleasant evening with a nice view of the city. Better sense prevailed within a few seconds but was shocked that the urge was there even after seven and half years!!
Old 27th June 2012, 16:39   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two and half years since I quit and I still get the occasional urge to smoke. Giving up smoking is one of the most difficult thing to do but at the same time I feel happy I did.
Yes, and I don't think we are ever entirely free.

From giving-up-failures, I have regular heard that they made it for six months, or two years. These seem to be among the danger points.

How is thing so powerful it can lurk in our bodies or our minds for so long? I have no idea .
Old 27th June 2012, 21:47   #938
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Yes, and I don't think we are ever entirely free.

From giving-up-failures, I have regular heard that they made it for six months, or two years. These seem to be among the danger points.

How is thing so powerful it can lurk in our bodies or our minds for so long? I have no idea .
So far the longest stint off for me was between 1992 -feb and 1996 -aug. Now this time its been 7 weeks almost. Hopefully it is now forever because of my respiratory danger!
Old 27th June 2012, 23:58   #939
BHPian

Quote:
I too get those urges, but the fact is giving in to that urge makes you feel worse than not giving in! So whats the point in picking it up again!
Old 4th July 2012, 00:28   #940
Senior - BHPian

I am typing this about 5 mins post my return from a sutta break at work.

I am a little out of breath, sweaty and generally feeling uncomfortable beacuse of the darned heat in Delhi.

But before I type any further, a confession. I actively avoided looking at this thread. It probably was the "ghost of past failure" that made me stay away, but I cannot say for sure.

Anyhow, so here I am, at my workstation, drenched in sweat, feeling quite unhappy. And I ask myself, "you probably will drag yourself through mud and muck to smoke, won't you? When it comes to smoking, you are like the US postal service - come hail come storm ... or something like that, aren't you? That is quite miserable, isn't it?"

Simple answer - Yes. Simple decision - Today was the last day I smoked. I am quitting.

Wish me luck gents. Hoping for similar support and intervention (if necessary) I received the last time around from all you fine souls on this thread.
Old 4th July 2012, 00:38   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Good to hear about anyone quitting this habit, this time around make it for ever shankar. Health is wealth as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello I am on day 5 and not at all affected by withdrawal. I am a little irritated in general but its manageable and I am coping well.

However I am noticing weight gain as a consquence of quitting. I plan to start running again and shed it all within 3-4 weeks.

I must say I feel happy. However I am very cautious because nicotine has trapped me before much further in my quit.
Well done Abhishek, forget the weight gain, it is not as bad as continuing to smoke and killing all your cells in your body. Yes, exercise is great for anyone wanting to quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Simple answer - Yes. Simple decision - Today was the last day I smoked. I am quitting.

Wish me luck gents. Hoping for similar support and intervention (if necessary) I received the last time around from all you fine souls on this thread.
Not luck U_N, just good spirits to fight the evil ones. Wishing you have the motivation and the will to fight this dreaded evil.
Old 4th July 2012, 00:42   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Urban_Nomad!

Welcome back!
Quote:
you probably will drag yourself through mud and muck to smoke, won't you?
This time ... just go through the mud and muck, but don't smoke.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:27   #943
Senior - BHPian

Question. How long before the lung gets back its capacity? The process may be long. If i heavy smoker has quit and it is about three months, how much tar would be removed from lungs? Is there something that i can do to remove tar faster?
Old 4th July 2012, 01:43   #944
Senior - BHPian

Takes a minimum of 7 years without smoking depending on age, according to my Cardiologist.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:57   #945
BANNED

The lungs' regenerative capacity is fantastic. Some cardios tell me that it will take around 6 months to a year to recover competely. During this time it is advised to exercise in parks and open spaces to be able to get fresh air in. Take the stairs instead of the lift and so on.
Already, in these last 7 weeks I can feel the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks