Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 10:11   #946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Urban_Nomad- congratulations! You will find all the support you need here. Also please register at the quitnet forums as well- they have some neat tools to help you monitor your habit.

Quote:
My Stats:
Your Quit Date is: 6/14/2010
Time Smoke-Free: 751 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 55 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 3757
Lifetime Saved: 28 days, 16 hours
Money Saved: $300.40
My lungs are fairly regenerated now. I used to be completely breathless after about 15 minutes of intense cardio. Now can stretch that to 45-50 mins. Feels wonderful!
Old 4th July 2012, 10:37   #947
Team-BHP Support

I quit smoking around the first week of September 2009. Still going strong. I am going to start working out soon to be fitter than before.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:41   #948
BHPian

Urban_Nomad

I am on day 12 of my quit. Best of luck and remember every time you get a craving, that it was nicotine which caused it and the cravings wont stop if you continue smoking. Soon the physical battle will cease and its important to remember that smoking never made us feel any better. There's only one way our lives can go from here, its a road called Freedom.

Addiction never helped anyone. As a chain smoker I felt helpless. I might be still recovering but at least I am free. The only thing can ruin things for me is another cigarette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad
Wish me luck gents. Hoping for similar support and intervention (if necessary) I received the last time around from all you fine souls on this thread.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:39   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Not luck U_N, just good spirits to fight the evil ones. Wishing you have the motivation and the will to fight this dreaded evil.
Thanks! Hopefully, 2nd time's a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Urban_Nomad!

Welcome back!

This time ... just go through the mud and muck, but don't smoke.
Mr G, thanks for the kind words. And you know what, I did venture though the mud and muck today, but did not smoke. I did not even realize when a casual stroll with my boss took a turn towards the paan waala (ciggy vendor). Keeping it short, he bought one, I didn't.

But its too early to celebrate. Its just day 2. No cravings, no drama unfolding ........ yet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Urban_Nomad- congratulations! You will find all the support you need here. Also please register at the quitnet forums as well- they have some neat tools to help you monitor your habit.
Thanks Noop. I'm a little late to the party but congos on the mod title. Very well deserved. Oh, and I am already on quitnet (same handle). Just need to feed in the "true" stats and start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Urban_Nomad

I am on day 12 of my quit.
You have a very positive outlook my friend. Keep it up. Tough(er) times lie ahead of you, but I am sure you will come out aces. Not trying to scare you, just trying to make you aware of the mental battle that will be at its peak shortly. After all, well informed is well armed.

All the best.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th July 2012 at 23:41.
Old 6th July 2012, 00:54   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The lungs' regenerative capacity is fantastic. Some cardios tell me that it will take around 6 months to a year to recover competely. During this time it is advised to exercise in parks and open spaces to be able to get fresh air in. Take the stairs instead of the lift and so on.
Already, in these last 7 weeks I can feel the difference.
That is for the feel good factor, but for the ill effects to totally get out of the system, it is app 7 years.
Old 8th July 2012, 01:21   #951
Senior - BHPian

Long time since i opened TBHP but had to today as i completed 2 years of smoke free life on my Birthday ( 07/07/2012 ).

It's not tough guys , just follow the 21 day formula of practising a habit and then good or bad it becomes a habit..tried and tested.

All the best..Say not to the CANCER STICK.
Old 13th July 2012, 00:19   #952
Senior - BHPian

HMPH!!!

I slipped. Went out for a chai with the boss. As goes the ritual, he ordered 2 cigs and I casually took one from him. A couple of puffs later, I stared at that cig in horror and flung it away.

I feel disappointed. Damn, back to the drawing board. I know I can do this. I really want to do this (quit, I mean).

Old 13th July 2012, 00:25   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
HMPH!!!

I slipped. Went out for a chai with the boss. As goes the ritual, he ordered 2 cigs and I casually took one from him. A couple of puffs later, I stared at that cig in horror and flung it away.

I feel disappointed. Damn, back to the drawing board. I know I can do this. I really want to do this (quit, I mean).

Quit punishing yourself. You threw it away right ? That is a good sign. Next time you go out with your boss, before you step out, tell him that you have quit smoking and that you do not mind going out only for a chai. Try to be as uncompromising as possible.
Old 13th July 2012, 00:27   #954
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry.

It happened because of habit.

Just be careful next time and don't let it recur.
Old 13th July 2012, 00:41   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Like the teachers used to say, you have to try harder!

But back to the drawing board? Only if you want it that way. One slip up doesn't mean you failed, you just get over it and carry on with giving up.

But that doesn't mean slip ups are ok....
Old 13th July 2012, 14:05   #956
BHPian

It has been 48 hours since I have not smoked a decision which I have taken consciously.

I had been to Mahableshwar last weekend had a quite a few smokes in the cold and foggy atmosphere and immediately had a nasty throat infection. My chest was filled with cough and had a very heavy feeling. I was realizing that my lungs are getting weak and even though I play badminton 4 times a week for about 7 years now.

I was going through a turmoil and finally after spending a night thinking about quitting, finally kicked the cigarette butt. Strangely I do not have any strong cravings for a sutta, which was a daily habit once before entering the office in the morning, once after lunch, one during tea break and one before leaving.

The problem I am facing now is my cough is not getting cured, I have not taken any medication as of now and think that maybe it is part of the withdrawal symptoms (damn nicotine ). The coughing and that feeling of something stuck in my throat is really irritating me.

I still have not tried my perseverance of quitting the smokes during the weekend parties when all my friends would be lighting up one ciggi after another.

I know I am strong willed and taken up quitting as a mind control exercise, a challenge to my ego that if I decide no one or nothing can tempt me.

Hope I am able to get over this once it for all.

Last edited by bblost : 13th July 2012 at 14:40. Reason: Rule 11. Its all inclusive. Thanks.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:27   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel disappointed. Damn, back to the drawing board. I know I can do this. I really want to do this (quit, I mean)
No reason to be harsh on yourself. I would like to share something which worked for me when I went for tapri visits and felt like smoking again. I just put my hands in my trouser pockets and kept them there till I was far enough from the tapri.
also stay away from the secondhand smoke, and feel free to look away if the sight of a lit cigarette is tempting. there are other temptations in life too!
If it bothers you too much go for your breaks to smoke free areas or to the canteen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
It has been 48 hours since I have not smoked a decision which I have taken consciously.

I had been to Mahableshwar last weekend had quite a few smokes in the cold and foggy atmosphere and immediately had a nasty throat infection.
Good on ya Sid! keep up the count, very soon you will need to switch the measurement unit from hours to days, then weeks, months and hopefully years
I had this habit of smoking during weekend parties too, admittedly years ago. I substituted the cigs with chicken or anything hot enough. now the result is that I am fatter than I used to be because I eat more, but hey at least I dont smoke.
And if you see me eating more starters at a meet, you know why that happens.

If someone else challenges or tempts you to smoke, challenge them back to stay off cigarettes for x time. Maybe you can get another friend off smoking too.

Last edited by bblost : 13th July 2012 at 14:40. Reason: Quoted posted edited.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:32   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Good on ya Sid! keep up the count, very soon you will need to switch the measurement unit from hours to days, then weeks, months and hopefully years
I had this habit of smoking during weekend parties too, admittedly years ago. I substituted the cigs with chicken or anything hot enough. now the result is that I am fatter than I used to be because I eat more, but hey at least I dont smoke.
And if you see me eating more starters at a meet, you know why that happens.

If someone else challenges or tempts you to smoke, challenge them back to stay off cigarettes for x time. Maybe you can get another friend off smoking too.
Thanks for the support Bala.

My problem is I am a complete foodie and now I think will get into the obese category with more focus on food than smokes.

Need to hit the Gym desperately.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:18   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Quit punishing yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Just be careful next time and don't let it recur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Like the teachers used to say, you have to try harder!
Thanks for the support guys. Post the day I touched that wretched thing for a few seconds, I have not fumbled again. Trying harder I am, and will continue to do so.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:53   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. Post the day I touched that wretched thing for a few seconds, I have not fumbled again. Trying harder I am, and will continue to do so.
Dude, instead of trying "harder", why dont you cherish being a non-smoker??? Its such a special feeling to be a non-smoker, isnt it?

27 days since I smoked last. Amazing 27 days!!

Allen Carr is GOD!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks