Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 03:41   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Planning NEVER helps , "i will taper out my smoking" , "i will quit on new year" , "i will quit after this pack". Trust me an "Addiction" is extremely creative and it will make you come up with some wacky reasons to stop you from stopping...
You are right: planning does not work, and easily leads down the path that you and noopster describe.

Planning does not work, but decision does. Mine (in April) was, I will be a non-smoker before my 40th brithday. The birthday was three months away, and I calculated into that a course of nicotine patches. Somewhere, I still have my daily progress chart, and the occasional single lapse within the first few weeks really did not signify, given that the project succeeded. I smoked my last cigarette (and hated it!) weeks before that birthday, and didn't even bother with the patches for the final couple of weeks.

So, "I'll finish this packet and then..." can be a copout: it depends on the strength of the decision. There really must never be another packet, or any out of someone else's packet.
Old 10th August 2012, 03:53   #992
Senior - BHPian

@suhaas, below is how i am doing.

I read quitnet and decided on the quit date as 18th July. As suggested by them , informed close friends (they are very supportive in-spite of them being smokers as well) cut down the number of cigarettes 2 days before quit date, and then stopped, till now that is, and still going strong. I have broken a lot of habits, like going out for tea, as soon as i arrive at office, etc..

question to the rest of the supporters - i am having a lot of black phlegm coming out for the past 2 weeks, is that normal?
Old 10th August 2012, 07:54   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Please don't 'Sir' me. Call me Suhaas.

I suffer from asthma. It's hereditary. Cold beverages, pollen, closed rooms and smoke aggravate it.

I've heard of this too, and it's definitely the best way to do it. I never felt the need to quit. I rather enjoyed my cancer-sticks. I do know it's bad. But before I could do anything about it, it turned into an addiction.

+1!

Never missed the 'thanks' button this much.

Can't wait for the IT guys to whip up a new interface - one that doesn't count the 'thanks' - while I pull onto my 6th.
I hope you have managed to quit Suhaas. I know for a fact the taper off method works if you are strong willed enough. I have quit smoking both the taper off and cold turkey method. My vice is that I enjoy smoking with a few select friends and that is when the temptation is highest now, but I have managed to keep off it. May the force be with you in staying away once you stop.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:48   #994
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
You are right: planning does not work, and easily leads down the path that you and noopster describe.

Planning does not work, but decision does. Mine (in April) was, I will be a non-smoker before my 40th brithday. The birthday was three months away, and I calculated into that a course of nicotine patches. Somewhere, I still have my daily progress chart, and the occasional single lapse within the first few weeks really did not signify, given that the project succeeded. I smoked my last cigarette (and hated it!) weeks before that birthday, and didn't even bother with the patches for the final couple of weeks.

So, "I'll finish this packet and then..." can be a copout: it depends on the strength of the decision. There really must never be another packet, or any out of someone else's packet.
I second this. It is now around 4 months since I quit. The best decision I ever made.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:12   #995
Team-BHP Support

@ Govigov: All the best! Do get yourself checked on that though.

@ Pganapathy: Not yet but it looks like today will be the last day I'll smoke. Thanks for the support! And this goes to all of you'll, Noop, BBlost, Adithyakini, lazybrain and of course, Thad.
Old 10th August 2012, 13:59   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

The mother of a friend of mine found giving up so mentally difficult that she hit on the following formula: I'm not giving up, I'm just not going to have another cigarette until I'm 60 years old. If, at that age, I want to kill myself by smoking, at least I'll have had some healthy years first!

She's a long way past 60 now. Still a non-smoker, and very fit. More than fit enough for bird-watching treks with her daughter.

Nicotine will play any trick it can: sometimes we have to play tricks too. Whatever works...
Old 10th August 2012, 15:48   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't wait for the IT guys to whip up a new interface - one that doesn't count the 'thanks' - while I pull onto my 6th.
For every cigarette that you smoke henceforth, dont log on to TBHP for the next 48 hours. Hows that gonna work?!
Old 10th August 2012, 16:54   #998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For every cigarette that you smoke henceforth, dont log on to TBHP for the next 48 hours. Hows that gonna work?!
It's official. I quit.

Date marked: *August 10th, 2012*

Let's just hope I don't give into temptation.
Old 10th August 2012, 17:08   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations ... but hope is not good enough

(This is my favourite thread, because I can be so smug! I certainly drive badly sometimes, but I did give up smoking twenty years ago. Join me: it's fun to be smug!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th August 2012 at 17:10.
Old 10th August 2012, 17:18   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's official. I quit. Date marked: *August 10th, 2012*
Let's just hope I don't give into temptation.
Aah, temptation. Someone did say that the best way to combat it is to give in to it. But it works well for chocolates or chicken, not for cigarettes.

There was a time around 12 years ago that I gave up smoking a pack a day. No reasons other than me feeling it was the correct thing to do.
I did have more than a couple of instances when I was sorely tempted to have just that one cigarette. Twice I ended up buying a pack (no singles available where I was) and throwing it away. Massive decision for me at the time of opening the pack, but I am glad I did that.

Sorry to those who are hearing this story for the umpteenth time. I keep thinking if I with my minuscule willpower can do it, anyone can. Worth a repeat if another buddy can quit.

If nothing else suhaas, just think of how much more 'gyaan' you will have to listen to, at least from me if you smoke again. Better to be ciggie free than open yourself up to a boring lecture, aint it?

If it helps, try putting some symbolic/ token amount in a piggy bank everytime you dont smoke. Then buy yourself something nice with the money you save. If you have everything already, then buy us guys something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
(This is my favourite thread, because I can be so smug! I certainly drive badly sometimes, but I did give up smoking twenty years ago. Join me: it's fun to be smug!)
You echo my sentiments sir! Glad to be smoke free till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Thanks for the support Bala. My problem is I am a complete foodie and now I think will get into the obese category with more focus on food than smokes.
Now where did Racer_X go; whats the update Sid?
Lets have a toning up/ getting fit race? We all win

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th August 2012 at 17:23.
Old 12th August 2012, 09:35   #1001
BHPian

It's been 30 days since I quit the cancer sick, surprisingly it has not been a painful process. Feeling fantastic with no frustrating urges to light up. Spending more time on the desk instead of the long sutta breaks has surprised my colleagues.
Flavored herbal tea has been of great help as well. My appetite has increases quite a bit resulting in weight gain, but better than lighting up at least. Hopefully I can continue with this.

Last edited by noopster : 13th August 2012 at 16:17. Reason: No sneaky references to bypass Rule #11 please!
Old 12th August 2012, 13:28   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Twice I ended up buying a pack (no singles available where I was) and throwing it away.
Wow, that is tough!
Quote:
If nothing else suhaas, just think of how much more 'gyaan' you will have to listen to, at least from me if you smoke again.
Or let's just never ever speak to him again
Quote:
It's been 30 days since I quit the cancer sick, surprisingly it has not been a painful process.
Physical discomfort, which happens to some, is only for a few days. The psychological pain is more in the anticipation than the doing.

Giving up was tough for me. Very tough. But afterwards, I was thinking, "What was all the fuss about?"

Keep it up!
Old 13th August 2012, 15:52   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Flavored herbal tea has been of great help as well. My appetite has increases quite a bit resulting in weight gain, but better than lighting up at least. Hopefully I can continue with this.
Great to hear that Sid! Any workday afternoon if you feel like a pat on the back for giving up smoking (or a kick where the sun dont shine for a relapse) please come over to SB road. Me and @mikon have our mini meets every workday afternoon to stuff our faces with food and generally rant about work, or whatever we do. I will buy you coffee if you get bored of those herbal leaves
Once you gain enough weight to be considered a competitor lets get on that fitness challenge between us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wow, that is tough!
Or let's just never ever speak to him again
yes it was! by the way if you dont speak to me it could be worse as I would continue carping away nevertheless. Dont say you werent forewarned
Old 31st August 2012, 13:11   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas, whats the deal buddy?

70 wonderful days since i last smoked (thanks again Allen Carr).

I know nicotine is the trickiest stuff i have ever met up with, but honestly there have been many days when smoking never even enters my mind. I call them dry days and their number is growing

And I have started going to the gym as well.
Old 31st August 2012, 16:10   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Going good so far. It is true. Not thinking about cigarette at all on somedays. Had a horrible dream, in which I was smoking looked down didnt realise and then looked down again and in horror threw the lit cigarette away. Have been thinking till now when I started smoking in my dreams. Did somebody else have similar dreams?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks