Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2017, 11:49   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

All set, book downloaded. Small hiccup, I could not download directly from the kindle app. Figured out Apple wants a cut in the e-books business. Used the browser to log into amazon and ordered.

Just lit up and have started reading on the iPad.:

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 24th December 2017 at 11:54.
Old 24th December 2017, 12:15   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pick a good, relaxed time. I'd thought I'd do it over the new year long weekend, but couldn't wait, so stopped over the long (relaxed) Christmas weekend. I'm guessing a busy Monday would be the worst day to quit, so don't choose something like that.
One of the biggest contributions to the how not to give up smoking book is... there is never a good time! Oh yes, been there done that!

Part of my absolutely irrevocable decision technique was that, even if all the worst-conceivable things should happen to me on the same day (or even just one of them), the one thing I would not do was to light a cigarette.
Old 24th December 2017, 12:59   #1578
BANNED

Quote:
Another entry to this thread!
Done & finished. My first 36 hours in 20+ years without a Marlboro. If a two decade smoker like me can drop it just like that, anyone can. Some things that helped:

•It's hard to see myself as a non-smoker, but it's even harder to see myself as someone who's unfit / sick / unhealthy.

I know it's a bit too early to post this (considering I dropped it only 1.5 days back), but I'm determined & confident.
Hi GTO,
Congrats on your decision. I always wanted to give you unsolicited advice after seeing Malboro’s on your desk, but no advice would hold good unless the person makes the tough decision. Somewhere deep inside I had a gut feeling you would be giving it up soon. I too was a smoker for close to 2 decades , a habit that I caught up in the rebellious teens. My decision to stop was because of marriage, I didn’t want to cheat a woman. It’s been 5 years now, but I feel guilty everyday as I have excessive sputum production at times. Hope I don’t get the dreaded ‘C’. Wishing you the best of health.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
Old 24th December 2017, 15:36   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on quitting. I was actually smoking the exact same brand when I opened this thread.

Quote:
Installed a full gym at home (treadmill + cycle + weights machine + dumbbells etc.) and got working out 5 - 6 days a week. That & LCHF healthy eating saw me lose 20 kilos.
I'm actually more interested to know the details of this. I have a Treadmill, Cross Trainer, Cycle and dumbells at home besides 2 real cycles (A mountain bike and a Road bike).
Any book you are referring to or have you employed a trainer? 20 Kg is a lot of weight.

Coming back to the thread, I tend to smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day on board the ship but when I home I cut it down to 1-2 cigarettes a week sometimes even less.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 24th December 2017 at 15:38.
Old 24th December 2017, 16:32   #1580
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One of the biggest contributions to the how not to give up smoking book is... there is never a good time!
Well said, but it helps to pick a good day (versus a high workload day) when there's nothing else taking away your bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I always wanted to give you unsolicited advice after seeing Malboro’s on your desk, but no advice would hold good unless the person makes the tough decision. Somewhere deep inside I had a gut feeling you would be giving it up soon.
Thanks & wish you good health as an ex-smoker too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Any book you are referring to or have you employed a trainer? 20 Kg is a lot of weight.
No trainer. My fitness training is all from my own (basic) knowledge as I've been on the gym scene since the college days. Now, I work out almost every day. Love it, look forward to it, addicted to it. Am going to workout before tonight's Christmas eve party too.

In terms of weight loss, it's the LCHF eating plan. This post was the start of a new chapter in life for me. Once I get time from the official reviews, I'll put together an easy-to-understand thread on weight loss. Till then, read up all posts by Samurai & Ampere on that thread.

Quote:
Coming back to the thread, I tend to smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day on board the ship but when I home I cut it down to 1-2 cigarettes a week sometimes even less.
Frankly, and this will be against popular opinion, if I was at 3 - 4 cigarettes a day (or just 1 - 2 a week), I'd never quit. But my Marlboros + Vaping were going way, way over that. Just on Thursday - at a Mod Meet on my terrace - I had close to 10 cigarettes. In one evening!

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2017 at 16:36.
Old 24th December 2017, 23:12   #1581
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, I totally forgot the congratulations!

Well done, may your life be long and tobacco-free
Old 25th December 2017, 00:23   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Another entry to this thread!

I've always been working out in some form or the other, but in the last 2 years, I got especially particular about fitness. Installed a full gym at home ............. That & LCHF healthy eating saw me lose 20 kilos.
Congratulations on losing 20 Kilos. Not a small feat by any standards.
Congratulations on also stubbing out a bad habit.

Reading your post is motivation enough for me to stub the stick, get into they gym and work towards my fitness goals for the new year.
It is definitely a timely post just as we end 2017 and look to new beginnings in 2018.
Yes, Allen Carr's book is one of the best books to help in stopping smoking.

Off topic, for members who aim to control their Alcohol intake in the new year, i have a book suggestion to make.
This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol by Annie Grace. Available on Kindle too.

https://www.amazon.in/This-Naked-Mind-Rediscover-Happiness/dp/0996715002
Old 25th December 2017, 14:05   #1583
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Went down a short while back with my brother. He smoked (bro is an occasional smoker); I gave him company, but wasn't tempted at all. Not even a puff. I intentionally went down as I'm going to be spending a lot of time with smokers, so am training my brain:
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-whatsapp-image-20171225-12.34.45.jpeg

Was at Aer lounge last evening for Christmas! My first night out in 20 years without a smoke
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-20171224-22.57.27.jpg

Did I miss it? No. Was I tempted? Yes...at times because the place is open (roof-top) and full of smokers all around. Man, the aroma of cigarette smoke! The music, ambience & weather were perfect for Marlboros. Good thing is, once you tell your mind a firm "NO", it doesn't think about a cigarette again.

Reminds me of this famous dialogue by Sallu'bhai:

Quote:
I totally forgot the congratulations!
Thanks Thad! I'm very, very happy with my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Congratulations on losing 20 Kilos. Not a small feat by any standards.
Congratulations on also stubbing out a bad habit.
Thanks Ithaca!

Quote:
Reading your post is motivation enough for me to stub the stick, get into they gym and work towards my fitness goals for the new year.
Just do both of them, man. Our bodies are the best tools we'll ever have in life.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 14:32   #1584
BHPian

On a lighter note, sharing a story about how my dad stopped smoking. Since we did not allow him to smoke or keep cigarettes at home, about four to five times a day, he used to go to the nearby shop (about a five minutes walk) to buy a cigarette and smoke. Once while coming back after this at about 8:30 PM, he was bitten by a stray dog. In those days, anti rabies vaccine used to be administered as a series of 12 injections around one's belly button. The pain of going through this made him quit smoking. Although he was diagnosed with a blockage in one of his arteries following a bout of chest pain a few years afterwards, he recovered well just using blood thinning drugs and continues to maintain his health 25 years post the event. So I guess we should be thankful to the dog :-)
Old 26th December 2017, 10:11   #1585
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Based on what I've read, all the nicotine should be out of my body now. It takes 3 days for your body to completely remove nicotine.

Changes felt:

- Feeling fresher.

- Nice to not have the day revolve around cigarettes / vaping and always be "thinking about the next one".

- Crazy amount of rubbish being spit out. It was especially high in the first 2 days.

- I usually sleep very deep with no interruptions at all (not even for water or loo...8 hours straight), but since I quit, I've woken up once or twice every night (anywhere between 4 - 6 a.m.). Strange.

- Exercise capacity increasing, but I think it's more because of not having that cigarette an hour before the workout (which I used to) than quitting (guess it'll take a longer time for real capacity to increase).

- Eating a bit more. LOL! Got to rein that in.

- 2 to 4 cravings a day, but none are too strong. It's easier than I expected it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So I guess we should be thankful to the dog :-)
Hahaha! Good to hear man. All of us have our own unique triggers & motivations; whatever helps is welcome.

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2017 at 10:13.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 10:29   #1586
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Rush/GTO on giving up this insidious addiction.

I had posted my thoughts on here back in Feb '17. If one asked me what is the best thing I did for myself, ever? I answer - quit smoking.
Old 26th December 2017, 15:48   #1587
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats Rush/GTO on giving up this insidious addiction
Thanks man! I see you also gave it up 'cold turkey'. I feel that's the best way. Whether one uses patches or not (I'm not) is up to them, but all out in one shot is the only method I believe in.

Quote:
I had posted my thoughts on here back in Feb '17
And with an awesome post. Copying your tips here so that it helps others.

Quote:
Based on my experiences here are a few words of advice to smokers:
  • You owe it your family to be there for them. Not to mention the risk of cancer due to 2nd hand smoke is scary.
  • There is no such thing as 'reducing' smoking and hoping to quit
  • Only the "cold turkey" method works (it worked with me)
  • Every time you quit and restart it becomes more challenging to quit the next time around.
  • The first few days are torture and withdrawal symptoms at their peak. Be careful you don't go back to smoking.
  • I've been told cancer cures smoking! Don't quit when it may be too late.
  • Giving up is all in the mind. It is sheer willpower!
  • Some people utilise nicotine patches or gums to gradually reduce and quit. It works for some and not for others.
  • You will feel the difference in your lungs within a few weeks. They will thank you for quitting.
Old 26th December 2017, 16:49   #1588
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, you don't get away that easily.

Just remember that your decision has to be long term. Nicotine can creep up on you after years and take you by surprise if you are not prepared for it. You haven't got to dreaming about smoking stage yet! Yep... It happens to many of us.

I can't remember the last thing I was told by a doc, but it takes years for your body to fully recover. And, if we ever smoke again, that clock gets reset.

Nicotine is a tough adversary. Keep on winning!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 17:55   #1589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can't remember the last thing I was told by a doc, but it takes years for your body to fully recover. And, if we ever smoke again, that clock gets reset.
I read about quitting smoking a lot, when I was in the UK in the early 2000s. They have very helpful sites that give encouragement and tips on how to quit.

A quit smoking site, not sure if it was UK based, said the number of years it takes to undo the damage to your body/lungs is equal to the number of years you smoke(d). I smoked for 16 years which means despite having quit over 13.5 years ago my lungs are STILL recovering! A very sobering thought of how deep rooted is the damage due to smoking.

The earlier one quits the better so your body has time to recover. And that recovery happens faster if you quit when you are younger. Quitting when middle aged after 25-30 years of smoking will result in a recovery when you're a septuagenarian or octogenerian assuming one survives that long depending on the condition of your respiratory system and heart.

Some of my old pals started smoking when we were in school/college and still haven't quit. I've given up on them and only hope the Almighty blesses them and keeps them safe from harm.

And to show how Lady Nick can still creep up and seduce you after several years of quitting I present an example from my own family. My Dad, a Naval officer, had quit in the late '60s but suddenly resumed smoking in the early 1980s, a full 13-14 years later. Luckily he got over it after much persuasion by my mom, brother and me and did not smoke ever thereafter.

So yes, in a nutshell please be on guard even years after quitting. Nicotine is an insidious addiction.

PS - When I quit smoking a king size cigarette (generally Classic Milds) was Rs 3.25 per stick. The same is Rs 15 today. I grin thinking about how much money I've saved over the years. Full credit to my wife for having nagged & driven me to the point of quitting.

PPS - Lung cancer killed my aunt (maasi) in '10. Her husband was a chain smoker in his younger days and she never smoked. My guess is 2nd hand smoke caused it. From detection (patch on lungs in an Xray) to chemo, to operation and a sad death after a lot of suffering, all in a matter of just 18 months. So please, please, quit smoking TODAY!

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th December 2017 at 18:19. Reason: Added PS and PPS
Old 27th December 2017, 15:03   #1590
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, you don't get away that easily.
Yeah, I know it can be tempting, but I'm very strong-willed.

Quote:
Just remember that your decision has to be long term. Nicotine can creep up on you after years and take you by surprise if you are not prepared for it.
Thanks man! Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
A quit smoking site, not sure if it was UK based, said the number of years it takes to undo the damage to your body/lungs is equal to the number of years you smoke(d). I smoked for 16 years which means despite having quit over 13.5 years ago my lungs are STILL recovering!
Wow! I'm going to be a senior citizen by the time I've recovered then .

I'd rather look at it this way - am focusing on how much further damage I stopped from happening.

Quote:
From detection (patch on lungs in an Xray) to chemo, to operation and a sad death after a lot of suffering, all in a matter of just 18 months.
Sorry to hear about your aunt. I think all of us smokers (ex included) should go and get our lungs checked. If something is there, better to catch it early than too late.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2017 at 15:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks