Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2006, 16:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Well, what i heard is that its not the tobacco thats the real culprit in a cigarette. Its the burning paper in which its wrapped. Thats why all those chewing gums n tobacco patches that are supposed to help u quit smoking contain some amount of nicotine in them. Though the addictive nature of nicotine is undeniable.
Anyways, u get only one life... so screw it!

Cheers
Amitoj
in fact nicotine has some therapeutic properties. you are right about the rest of the stuff (both paper and tobacco) which has carcinogenic chemicals.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 19th January 2006 at 16:35.
Old 19th January 2006, 16:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
. Your intentions may be good, but you cant be more bothered about my health than my family.
We aren't. But breathing in someone's second-hand smoke is the equivalent of having them throw up in my car. Smells, I hate it, and it's not too healthy.

I don't know how valid it is to compare alcohol to cigarettes. Alcohol comes with a built-in warning system. Two drinks and you feel lightheaded. Four and you are dizzy. Six and most first timers are out for the count. No such thing with smoking. And my drinking doesn't degrade your health.
Old 19th January 2006, 19:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
We aren't. But breathing in someone's second-hand smoke is the equivalent of having them throw up in my car. Smells, I hate it, and it's not too healthy.

I don't know how valid it is to compare alcohol to cigarettes. Alcohol comes with a built-in warning system. Two drinks and you feel lightheaded. Four and you are dizzy. Six and most first timers are out for the count. No such thing with smoking. And my drinking doesn't degrade your health.
Good points there mate. Exactly my feelings..
Old 19th January 2006, 19:47   #64
BHPian

As a medical student,I'd love to share a few facts which I know on this topic for the benefit of team bhpians,since we all are a family -

1. Lung Cancer is the No.1 cancer killer throughout the world..and current statistics are proving that the number of female smokers are almost equal to the number of male smokers dying of lung cancer worldwide.

2. 5-year survival rate after diagnosis of Lung Cancer is merely 14%

3. At the time of diagnosis,MORE THAN 50% OF PATIENTS HAVE DISTANT SPREAD OF THE CANCER TO OTHER ORGANS.

4.Very Important fact - Risk of developing Lung Cancer is 70 TIMES more for an individual smoking 15 cigarettes a day for 20 years.

I always tell smoker patients coming to the hospital -
EITHER YOUR CIGARETTE OR YOUR LIFE.

-sr
Old 18th June 2007, 14:32   #65
BHPian

my experience...

Good thread, guys.
PS, it's not only the tobacco, but also the paper and the crap in the filter and tobacco preservative that will actually kill you (sooner or later).

Having been a smoker for just about ten years (I started in 10th grade), I'm not going to pander and preach to you about the 'evils of smoking'....because we all know what they are.

PS girls should be especially careful when it comes to the physiological implications of smoking.

I've actually not smoked in over 6 months and yes, it IS an attempt at quitting permanently. This fact, however, was hugely influenced by the fact that I'm now living with family (i.e. mom & sis, sometimes dad) and have been caught and shamed by them before. This prompted me in not pursuing the habit again because it just wasn't worth it. (plus, I wasn't a heavy smoker after coming back to India anyway, it made it that much easier).

However, it's hard to say if I can resist the urge to go back to smoking once away from family...fortunately this hasn't been the case lately, even when I'm away. (the urge has been waning)

as someone suggested at the start of the thread...getting a nagging wife/girlfriend might actually be a good method!

for those that really want to quit, my two suggestions (other than all other tried methods) would be:
1) avoid situations where u would be inclined to smoke/smoke more. i.e. dont get too drunk coz u'll start puffing away before u realize u've gone thru a pack already! btw, drinking & smoking at the same time is more dangerous than either by themselves for various biological reasons.
2) for die-hard smokers, I'd suggest the 'medicine' route - nicotine gum and/or some of the new-fangled remedies they're coming up with. (google them)

good luck!
Old 18th June 2007, 15:18   #66
rks
BANNED

My father died recently after a 2-year battle with throat+lung cancer at age 78. When I was in my teens he occasionally used to come home with his mouth smelling of smoke. Upon which my mother nagged the hell out of him. Unfortunately, as we learnt later, the nagging did not have the desired effect. His close colleagues informed us (after he got cancer) that he used to sit in the office and chain-smoke. He apparently kicked the habit at age 50 or thereabouts, but who knows. He travelled a lot and was away from home most of the tiime until he got the fatal illness.

Fortunately I have never even taken a puff. My only experience was a solitary, failed attempt to light a cigarrette at around age 14. After which I never gave in to peer pressure or temptation.

Last edited by rks : 18th June 2007 at 15:21.
Old 18th June 2007, 15:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

More reason to quit

Is smoking a risk factor for decreased semen quality? A cross-sectional analysis -- Ramlau-Hansen et al. 22 (1): 188 -- Human Reproduction

Clinical Tobacco Intervention Recognition Program

PS : I smoke only tyres

Last edited by black12rr : 18th June 2007 at 15:43.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I agree, but trying to reform the person concerned is not going to help. I'd just politely object, or move off.
And the alcohol warning system is bull; tobacco consumers very well know what they're getting into. Hell, there's even a warning in the pack. They're making a conscious decision, and it's upto them to decide if they need to quit.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

I never smoked nor will I....
1 Pack of GoldFlake is like 0.8 lit petrol for me...and I can drive 16km on a highway in my ALto...

hence I would prefer burning the tyres rather than the cigerette...plus it not only harms u but also people around u....
Old 18th June 2007, 16:42   #70
BHPian

save the $$ on cigarettes, buy a cheap RWD car and tyres and smoke them to glory in a wal mart parking lot. or if you have a FWD car try the mcdonalds tray method.
it sure is a lot more fun than smoking a cigarette IMO.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Even cigarette companies like ITC are getting the message and are slowly expanding their non-tobacco business.

I hope there will be a day when you find cigarettes only in a museum showcase with the caption "Suicide device used by people in the 20th century"
Old 18th June 2007, 16:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I never smoked nor will I....
1 Pack of GoldFlake is like 0.8 lit petrol for me...and I can drive 16km on a highway in my ALto...

hence I would prefer burning the tyres rather than the cigerette...plus it not only harms u but also people around u....
Akroy bhai,

You are a true car hmm....ALTO lover....May you and your car burn more roads and give us plenty of travelogues to see .i say "see " since in this stupid IT field travelling is related to only two words ONSITE/OFFSHORE.
Old 18th June 2007, 18:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
I did started smoking at the age of 16 & doing it for the past 16 yrs with atleast 5 breaks. The max break is for 1.5 yrs that was the last in 2000 (minimum break was 2 weeks). Everytime it flashes in my mind & all of sudden I stop smoking.
Man, @Surprise, you almost sound like my alter ego - so similar is it to my experience. Started at 16, still smoking for 16 odd years, frequent sudden breaks, of which one was for 1.5 odd years and so on... BTW, why did u stop for 1.5 years ? I did for a girl-friend. Maybe we differ there, who knows ?

Quote:
But breathing in someone's second-hand smoke is the equivalent of having them throw up in my car. Smells, I hate it, and it's not too healthy.
@v1p3r, actually you have a choice there. If someone smokes in a non-smoking zone, you have every right to object. I do that, even though I am a smoker. And if its not a no-smoking area, the choice is yours to not be with him/her. I take my smoke breaks alone to avoid others being affected.

Quote:
And my drinking doesn't degrade your health.
I could have 10 cigarettes back-to-back and not kill anyone. But someone driving after having more drinks he can handle can kill or maim seriously. Drinking is more evil that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
I agree, but trying to reform the person concerned is not going to help. I'd just politely object, or move off. And the alcohol warning system is bull; tobacco consumers very well know what they're getting into. Hell, there's even a warning in the pack. They're making a conscious decision, and it's upto them to decide if they need to quit.
You are right there. Maybe a real illiterate guy might not know the link between cigarettes and bad health. But the rest, including me, are making a conscious choice, which I agree is not a good one. But then, I am sure each of us has his her own vice - for some its eating too much (that can also kill in the long run, you know) or drinking hard or womanising or drugs or whatever.

I know smoking is bad, would like to quit too and have tried many times. Those who haven't smoked yet, do not try (even once).
Old 18th June 2007, 21:33   #74
BHPian

I was a hardcore smoker who quit one day, for religious reasons.

Used to smoke 2 packs a day.

PS: That means Im currently saving 80 x 30 = 2400 Rs\month!!! Not to mention the numerous Paas-Pass, Halls and Beetle nut packets, since I had to cover up the smell
Old 18th June 2007, 23:54   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

The best help rendered is for the smoking BHPians (no pun) to exhale spent smoke while inhaling fresh smoke in a group of their type and not at the common table

Most Viewed