Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 00:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Man, @Surprise, you almost sound like my alter ego - so similar is it to my experience. Started at 16, still smoking for 16 odd years, frequent sudden breaks, of which one was for 1.5 odd years and so on... BTW, why did u stop for 1.5 years ? I did for a girl-friend. Maybe we differ there, who knows ?

He he he, so, did you marry her ?

Quote:
I know smoking is bad, would like to quit too and have tried many times. Those who haven't smoked yet, do not try (even once).
Agree absolutely, its not worth it.
Old 19th June 2007, 00:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

Without meaning to offend anyone, I think the original question was completely lost on virtually everybody. The guy asked "how did you quit smoking? if you did it at all" . Clearly he wants to kick the habit and wants help with quitting and wants to know from someone who gave it up completely.

He didn't ask for opinions on the merits and demerits of smoking and other things. Nor did he ask whether you think smoking is good or bad. It was a simple question on how to quit smoking. Frankly, those who don't smoke have nothing to contribute to this thread.

I must share with you that I smoke some 40 cigarettes a day and when I boarded the world's longest flight from Singapore to New York I was really worried. I would be without a fag for 14/15 hours. Then a short break in Frankfurt and then again for another eight hours to NYC. I had not "not smoked" for so long in many many years. I wasn't sure if I could smoke in Frankfurt airport during the short halt.
I was certainly dying for a smoke for the first two hours or so inside the plane. But then gradually I accepted it. I mean I had to accept it. And honestly I almost forgot about it until the plane started to land in Frankfurt. I started getting those pangs again.
Once I came out of the aerobridge the first thing I saw was a huge floor standing ashtray around which big European guys were smoking profusely. Literally that's the first thing you see in Frankfurt airport as you come out of the plane.
I finished some eight sticks in 40 minutes and boarded the plane again.
The point I am trying to make is - availability is the main issue here.
A friend went to Bipasana and quit smoking for a few weeks after that. He was a heavy smoker. But once back to the grind he picked it up again.
Therefore although I couldn't really answer the original question I hope this puts you in the right direction.
I know many guys who stopped smoking but took up gutka in its place. That is perhaps even more dangerous.
I know just one guy who actually gave up smoking (including weed) very successfully. He got hooked to the teachings of a very well known Godman. But when he went to the Godman he was not looking at a solution to any of his problem. He just went for the heck of it and got completely hooked.
By the way, my father always used to say - don't trust the man who does not have at least one addiction or vice in life.
Old 19th June 2007, 00:52   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
I think this thread was started off to give tips which would help smokers trying to quit, quit more easily.
Now guys, I am a smoker, not a chain smoker but still a smoker having around 5 - 6 smokes a day (Camel lights Brown Filters) and I am seriously trying to quit (yup, reason is girlfriend).
Could you'll please give me some tips. I am not looking for nicotine gums but any other healthier substitute.
BTW, i have never encouraged my friends to smoke and whenever someone asks if they could try, you'd be amazed at the power of a certain finger.
Old 19th June 2007, 08:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Lambo! Dammit man...why the hell did you start smoking man. Im sorry to say but that wasn't really expected out of you atleast. Quit the damn habbit before it gets the better of you.

Drifter
Old 19th June 2007, 09:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
He he he, so, did you marry her ?
Hmm. Lets say, if I had, I might not have been smoking today.

I am glad my wife does not log-on to tbhp. Might have been hard for me to explain to her why I can't seem to quit inspite of her occasional exhortations (she does not really nag about it though), when I could do it for some girl.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey guys,
I think this thread was started off to give tips which would help smokers trying to quit, quit more easily.
Now guys, I am a smoker, not a chain smoker but still a smoker having around 5 - 6 smokes a day (Camel lights Brown Filters) and I am seriously trying to quit (yup, reason is girlfriend).
Could you'll please give me some tips. I am not looking for nicotine gums but any other healthier substitute.
BTW, i have never encouraged my friends to smoke and whenever someone asks if they could try, you'd be amazed at the power of a certain finger.
Its simple really, drop it and don't touch it again. Abstain for 2 weeks and voila, youve quit smoking.
This is the method I followed and it worked for me.

Bottom line is you have to want to quit smoking. If the want is not there, its impossible.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad my wife does not log-on to tbhp.

Don't count on that.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:45   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Its all in the mind. I used to smoke profusely too for two years. Back then I used to be 18. But, its not that hard to give it up. Its been 2 yrs now. I hardly smoke. If I were to count, I would say 10 ciggies in the last two years.

Just make up your mind, and stick to your decisions. Thats all it takes.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:58   #84
BHPian

ok guys some more tips that could help kick the habit out. (worked for me)
1) Dont go out with smoking friends too often
2) When You go out to buy a grocery item or something, avoid going to a petty shop and prefer a mall like spencers daily/food world, reliance fresh, subhiksha etc
3) Remember the time You have not been smoking, if You could avoid smoking for an hour, tell yourself - if i can avoid for an hour, i can for a day. And when the urge comes, remind yourself of the hardwork you have put in to avoid smoking for the hour and that will be in ashes if You take up one smoke
4) Be strong, anyone can quit. Dont trust nicotine gums, never helped me out.
5) If You smoke during coffee breaks in office, try having the coffee/tea/whatever in the desk.

All the above helped me quit, along with Ramadan which helped me stay away from my smoking friends who just couldnt smoke from 6-6.

All the Best.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I never smoked nor will I....
1 Pack of GoldFlake is like 0.8 lit petrol for me...and I can drive 16km on a highway in my ALto...

hence I would prefer burning the tyres rather than the cigerette...plus it not only harms u but also people around u....
Hmmm... thats an interesting comparision, As far I know fuel would put out more carcinogens than anything else in the world. Ever tried thinking on how much the environment is degraded each time a car is manufactured:

Steel, Forging etc: Tons and Tons of coal to smelt it
Paint: imagine the level of chemicals
Oil, fuel
Non Degradable plastics

Damn they even say recycle but realise the level of additional pollution even that causes

Like they say what people think is cool at the Society Level (Page 3 and the activists who are paid to do what they do) is blindly accepted by the society at large for the social betterment, but ask them what do they do best?

Each of has the freedom of choice on what one wants to do so would request that your opinions remain your own and let the other decide they would rather do.

But this is really funny "Petrol fumes more acceptable than ciggarette smoke"

@akroy: I really dont have anything against you, chill.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:32   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho
Hmmm... thats an interesting comparision, As far I know fuel would put out more carcinogens than anything else in the world.
Roy is talking about the economic advantages.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
As far I know fuel would put out more carcinogens than anything else in the world.
But this is really funny "Petrol fumes more acceptable than ciggarette smoke"
keshav,

You don't put your mouth to the exhaust tip and inhale the carcinogens right ? While its something like that when you smoke - it affects you faster. I could be wrong.

The carcinogens from the fuel ALSO affect us but it still gives us some time before they enter our nostrils

I am off now from here *running away*
Old 19th June 2007, 14:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Its simple really, drop it and don't touch it again. Abstain for 2 weeks and voila, youve quit smoking.
This is the method I followed and it worked for me.

Bottom line is you have to want to quit smoking. If the want is not there, its impossible.
Damn right it is. It helps if you list out all the things you DONT LIKE about smoking. Remember them and drop the habit.

At 4-6 cigarettes a day, Lambo does not need nicotine patches or gum. Its easy to kick - IF you want to.

I speak from experience - I kicked the habit (with no external aids like patches) for 3 years, when I was doing 40-50 cigarettes a day.

I got back into it, but I'm quite sure I can quit when I WANT TO.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:39   #89
BHPian

well i tried it once after that coughed my lung out after that ever touched it or will touch.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I speak from experience - I kicked the habit (with no external aids like patches) for 3 years, when I was doing 40-50 cigarettes a day.

I got back into it, but I'm quite sure I can quit when I WANT TO.
Yeah even I was wondering - because I saw you with ciggies in the monsoon meet pics. 40-50 cigarettes a day is too bad. I guess if it is 5-10 it is okay. Though of course zero is the best. Have managed to stay clean for 3 months max. :( Trying to quit now .. but it is tough.

Most Viewed