Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 19:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
All of sudden decided not to smoke from Sunday (6th Jan'07)
you mean '08
Quote:

SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION
aah, my favourite quote.
Old 7th April 2008, 08:56   #137
Team-BHP Support

13 hours and counting since my last cigarette. Lets see how long this goes.
Old 7th April 2008, 09:20   #138
BHPian

Wow! thats awesome! Come on you can do it moralfibre!!!
Old 7th April 2008, 10:02   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My case is simple : I love my Marlboros. And dont want to quit.

GTO
Maybe some day I may thinking of quitting....but as of now I enjoy my smoke too much.
Old 7th April 2008, 10:28   #140
Senior - BHPian

Started smoking in June 1983. Used to smoke 8-10 per day. First quit in Jan 2005 but back to smoking again by Nov. Second quit from Dec 2006, and have been successful so far.

Drinking: not a drop till mid-2001. 1-2 glasses per month prior to that.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:29   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Latest update from moral: 17 hours.

p.S :What about the Carton of Win's that is coming for you on Wednesday? :-)
Old 7th April 2008, 13:33   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean the lying?

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2008 at 16:25. Reason: Please do NOT attempt to bypass our 20 character rule in any manner.
Old 7th April 2008, 14:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are sincere and committed about quitting, then perhaps it would be better if you forget about the hours. The acute symptoms (feeling drowsy, desperate, and unhappy) are really acute for first 24 hours, and reduce by themselves in around 3-4 days.

Best of luck!. If you know someone in UK/US, try to get Nicorette. That helps a lot. Of course, once can quit even without that.
Old 7th April 2008, 14:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

I was watching a TV show on NDTV about addiction to drugs, and it says that the reasons of withdrawal symptoms is that the body stops creating the chemicals that it was getting from the external source (Ciggerette/Bidi/Pan Masala/Gutkha etc.).
Hence when the chemical is not created in the body, the body responds with the withdrawal symptoms.
These chemicals in a non-smoking individual are automatically created but once he starts to smoke the automatic synthesis of these chemicals stop and thus it becomes dependent on external source.

Last edited by DCEite : 7th April 2008 at 14:18.
Old 7th April 2008, 14:28   #145
BHPian

Ok guys. How about this. Let's all (t-bhp Pune) guys do a mass quit-smoking thing. We meet regularly enough and that way all of us can motivate (or beat the **** out of) whoever lights up.

I used to be a bigtime smoker who quit 10 years ago. Of late I've started enjoying a drag or 2, esp. post-Goa. I'm serious about quitting all over again. So can we do this?

It was Gudi Padwa yesterday, so how about this for a New Years resolution?
Old 7th April 2008, 14:32   #146
Senior - BHPian

I have been successful all these days (92 days ) (counted for this purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The acute symptoms (feeling drowsy, desperate, and unhappy) are really acute for first 24 hours, and reduce by themselves in around 3-4 days.
I guess this depends from person to person. I had this drowsiness for continous 4 days & I somehow managed it by drinking bottles & bottles of water, which is the best medicine.

Also during those 4 days, I remained many a times to myself that I should smoke only if I run the risk of losing my life due to quitting

Really that made me to swim across the tough period without any instances.

Never ever came into my mind again, but Iam dealing it with IRON HAND so that I dont go through the similar exercise again and again

Last edited by Surprise : 7th April 2008 at 14:34.
Old 7th April 2008, 14:38   #147
BHPian

Quote:
More power to you buddy. Think of all the saved money that you can spend on your car instead
Old 7th April 2008, 14:41   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
More power to you buddy. Think of all the saved money that you can spend on your car instead
What if I am smoking WINS, which costs less than Re.1/- a cigarette? I don't think that argument holds much for me anymore!
Old 7th April 2008, 14:47   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also during those 4 days, I remained many a times to myself that I should smoke only if I run the risk of losing my life due to quitting
That is the real reason why all smokers should quit. In my present phase of quitting (from Dec 06 onwards), I relied on Nicorette (from my brother in the UK). A 2 mg cost around Rs. 6-7/ pc. I had about 7-8 per day. The cost was only marginally higher than smoking, but it helped me.

Tobacco usage (not only smoking) increases risk of developing several cancers and diseases of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and has been associated with substantially increased risk of premature mortality. In fact, only a few body organs seem to be spared by tobacco smoke. A report published in 2008 in the International Journal of Cancer indicate that lung, laryngeal, and pharyngeal cancers presented the highest relative risks (RRs) (or risk mutliple as compared with non-smokers) for current smokers (as compared with non-smokers), followed by upper digestive tract and oral cancers. The highest RR for current smokers was observed for lung cancer (RR of 8.96). Overall, the risk of lung cancer increases by 7% for each additional cigarette smoked per day. For example, the RR for lung cancer is 1.39 for males and 1.49 for females for 1-9 cigarettes per day; 2.67 for males and 3.30 for females for 10-19 cigarettes per day; and 13.70 for males and 24.10 for females for >20 cigarettes per day. The most common variants of lung cancer related to smoking are squamous cell carcinoma (also known as epidermoid carcinoma), adenocarcinoma and small cell carcinoma. However, over the last four decades, changes in cigarette design and increased consumption of filter cigarettes have been responsible for the shifts in lung cancer (increases in adenocarcinoma and decreases in squamous cell carcinoma). Another important factor behind the shift in lung cancer pathology has been the change in cigarette composition over the past decades, with a general increase in the amounts of stems and ribs used in the cigarette blends.

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-document3.jpg
Old 7th April 2008, 14:51   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
What if I am smoking WINS, which costs less than Re.1/- a cigarette? I don't think that argument holds much for me anymore!
1. You don't smoke WINS regularly.

2. At Rs. 25 for a pack of 20, it costs more than a buck each

3. Think of all the money and suffering you save from medical bills then ( which should probabaly get you a new car!). Get a chest x-ray done and see your patho faint. cheers:

I'm sure you know this but the carbon deposits in your lungs can NEVER be removed and once the walls of your lungs harden, that is pretty irreversible too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks