Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 15:51   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I had heard of some tablets you get for killing the urge. Any clue on where to find them? Are they effective?
These tablets / patches simply introduce nicotine into your blood stream at regular intervals to help quell the urge.
What you are doing is quite simply the best way. Cold turkey, good ole fashioned will power! Hats Off!
Old 8th April 2008, 16:06   #167
Senior - BHPian

My dad started smoking at his age of 17. After 35+ years and countless attempts by his wife (mum), his dad(grandpa), (never me), his sisters, brothers, friends, etc etc, he ended up rupturing both his hernia's back in 2004. Intestines ended up inside the 'sack'...Took him to mumbai and got it operated upon. Doctor did not bother to tell him anything, just told next time he sees one cigarette, 'I' can message him thanking him for the help and convey 'his' condolences to my family.

I guess that shook him up, (why did'nt 'they' end up in his 'sack' earlier )

Never has he seen one after that, I was happy, Eh - WAS?

Yeah, he has taken to Manikchand now (DAMN me )
Old 8th April 2008, 17:30   #168
BHPian

hi.
here again is the ''you'll always find someone talking'' topic.
i think for those who smoke should be let to do so coz they are doing it and you can't stop them with any amount of talking and preaching & teaching.
those who genuinely want to quit actually don't need someone to tell them but just the willpower to do so.
AS IT GOES '' HE SMOKES AND IS ALSO A MAN ENOUGH TO SAY IT''
Old 8th April 2008, 18:49   #169
Senior - BHPian

I was a smoker till 07 December. I started smoking in 99. Has been a smoker for all of 8 years. I decided to quit last December and has been successful in it till now. I feel a lot healthier in mind & soul after i quit. Now i wish that only if i were able to quit earlier.

If some one has to quit then that thought has to come from within, the person should sincerely feel from his heart that he should quit smoking, only then it will be successful.
Old 8th April 2008, 19:04   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I was a smoker till 07 December. I started smoking in 99. Has been a smoker for all of 8 years. I decided to quit last December and has been successful in it till now. I feel a lot healthier in mind & soul after i quit. Now i wish that only if i were able to quit earlier.

If some one has to quit then that thought has to come from within, the person should sincerely feel from his heart that he should quit smoking, only then it will be successful.

Everything points to one's heart one way or the other.

Things also help if you had got a gf (steady) a bit earlier
Old 8th April 2008, 19:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Everything points to one's heart one way or the other.

Things also help if you had got a gf (steady) a bit earlier
Duude I'm single not double

And having gf/wife etc etc doesn't make any real difference if one doesn't want to quit. Ok gf/wife might put pressure to quit but still it will not work unless one really want to quit. And quitting for a reason other than good health will not be permanent.

At one point of time i asked myself whether i would be liked to be termed as a smoker my whole life, i asked myself whether i would like to be a smoker my whole life. And the answers were no and i eventually quit. Mind you i didn't ask myself this question one fine morning and quit smoking that same evening. This was in my mind for a long time before i quit; and one day i was able to quit. I had some breathing difficulties & infections and i stopped having cigarettes, then after i recovered i decided not to smoke again. It helped because i already wanted to quit.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th April 2008 at 20:02.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:15   #172
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Thats a very mean approach even in fun, I say. You don't smoke so lead by example and urge the smokers not to smoke. Wouldn't you like to enjoy your drive more with your friends rather than driving in solidarity!!??
urging,talking, arguing has no effect. everyone is educated enough to understand the consequences.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:38   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Steeroid,

What happened to you ? did you finally manage to quit smoking ?
Old 9th April 2008, 00:31   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
urging,talking, arguing has no effect. everyone is educated enough to understand the consequences.
Education is not always enough. Methods like urging and talking are quite effective at times. That can be just the push needed to either jumpstart the quitting process or to tilt the scales in favor of quitting, whatever the case may be.

After quitting smoking, I have urged all my friends to do the same, especially since I know both sides, and yes, people have actually quit.

I'm not talking about emotional blackmail here, but a friendly urge or even a request can indeed work wonders.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:31   #175
BHPian

ok guys, here's one little secret, may sound silly but has worked on me and nobody in my immediate friend circle also could imagine well enough what made a guy who'd been smoking for 14 years to quit overnight.

after repeated failures at containing the urge; the opportunities to get back on board were too many though.. guys are guys you know what i am talking about, there is an answer and compelling valid reason for all behavior whatsoever, i made a rare temple visit one fine day and asked for dire consequences should i light up again.. not that i am the religious kind but the self imposed fear of a wrath has worked so far.. over many a drink when the urge is simply too much to bitter -19 degree cold that i recently went through.. i successfully completed 1 year and now it is a pride of my will-power.. hehe

i stilll miss those days of cigarette in right hand, window glass down and the smoke working both active and passive ways.. but i chose to hold on.. fear is the key, so aptly sung by maiden.

now, cheers!
Old 9th April 2008, 01:31   #176
BHPian

I used to be a chain smoker and and I quit smoking about 2 years back. For me, gradually decreasing the count of ciggis never worked out - with in few days I will be back to my normal count...One fine day with out any reasion i decided that I will not smoke again- its been 2 years now.

IMHO, if you want to quit smoking, just stop. Decreasing the counts might not work out...
Old 9th April 2008, 09:34   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post

IMHO, if you want to quit smoking, just stop. Decreasing the counts might not work out...
Proven by nearly all research that cold turkey is the best way. Decreasing counts just maintains the urge. Why suffer all the time, instead of suffering just once.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:48   #178
Team-BHP Support

Cold turkey it is for me and I have lost count of the days. Its good not to count. Its even better to look at tomorrow with a fresh mind. Quitting rocks!
Old 9th April 2008, 10:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

Wow, man MF. So you have done it finally. Congrats. That surely is an achievement to be proud of.

And yes, cold turkey is the best way out to quit smoking.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:26   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aburagohain : i stilll miss those days of cigarette in right hand, window glass down and the smoke working both active and passive ways..
Nostalgia. So easy to slip back to where one left off.

About a year after quitting, was sitting in the office pantry on the terrace and saw a colleague light up. Envied her. Thought, man, wish I could too. Remembered my old days of non-chalantly lighting up. Later, I did try it again, but had to go through the quitting process all over again.

Guys, those of you who are trying to quit - hope you get there soon. For those who have, congrats. AND STAY THERE, pls. It is so easy to get back - and stay there.

Last edited by condor : 9th April 2008 at 11:27.

Most Viewed