Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 17:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

probably the clutch was on its last legs , and the rookie valet was the straw that broke its back!
Old 27th March 2009, 17:10   #17
BHPian

IMO the hotel's not at fault. In all probability the clutch was on it's last legs and the valet parking thing is just a coincidence. No point trading charges over it. Besides even if you go to a court since they did not charge you for valet services and they also prominently display signs that "parking is done at owner's risk" your claim would not hold much water in a court of law.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Almost impossible to fry the clutch in such a short distance from the drive way to the parking.
+1

@coolmob

You have mentioned "its been sent to a authorised maruti workshop for repairs with an estimate of Rs8000 for cultch assembly replacement."

What did they say about the failure ?
How old is the car and more importantly how many kms on the odo ?

I really can't think of any reason for a burnt out clutch (in such a short time) even if he takes it for a joyride.
Or maybe he might have tried something like this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1231036

And always, park the car on your own.

Last edited by yzfrj : 27th March 2009 at 17:14.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:15   #19
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Its very easy to fry a clutch if the valet drove with the handbrake engaged. All he needs to do is drive for maybe 50-100 mtrs(maybe lesser) and its bye bye clutch.

Viper
Old 27th March 2009, 17:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Why would the driver destroy the clutch willfully? Even I think its not possible to destroy the clutch in such a short distance. This could be case of technical sang. On a different note why not ask Maruti for a replacement, afterall the clutch shouldnt go wrong in 7000 kms.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
+1

@coolmob

You have mentioned "its been sent to a authorised maruti workshop for repairs with an estimate of Rs8000 for cultch assembly replacement."

What did they say about the failure ?
How old is the car and more importantly how many kms on the odo ?

I really can't think of any reason for a burnt out clutch (in such a short time) even if he takes it for a joyride.
Or maybe he might have tried something like this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1231036

And always, park the car on your own.
as i stated earlier that the car has only about 7000kms on the odo and is about a year old. the service center guy told me that its very much possible to damage the clutch and specially on slopes.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think its very difficult to burn out the clutch completely at just 7000 Km.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

I dont thinks its techically possible for the clutch to wear out this fast.

The Sx4 is no supercar, it only makes 100 odd bhp and is fwd. Clutches today can take a lot more than what stock cars can offer.

I have seen clutches going bust on a modified OHC which has been hard launched several times, but even this took 8-10K kms to happen. 2 hrs is a very short time to wear out anything (apart from tyres).

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2009, 17:46   #24
BHPian

as far as what happens its definitely the valet driver at the fault... its hard to digest but it just did happen. so now my question is how to proceed about going against the hotel. my friend has a copy of the bill of the restaurant at the hotel, copy of valet parking slip and an FIR against the hotel.

help would be appreciated
Old 27th March 2009, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Most probably it must be a manufacturing defectand it was pure coincidence that it happened in the hands of the valet driver. Try talking to the service guys for a warranty replacement.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:01   #26
BHPian

Maybe there was problem with the clutch in the first place (manufacturing defect probably), I don't know I'm just guessing here.

Unrelated :

My friend's less than 6 months old (approx 4k kms) Swift VDi had a problem with the steering. (It was making some kind of "rubbing" noise). Upon inspection it was found to be a major component failure and the as usual "repair" was the solution suggested. He took it up with the dealer and said if needed will take it up with Maruti. The entire unit was replaced free of cost.

Even, Dad's new swift front left door has paint "ripples". The solution will be a sub-standard paint job from the dealer, so we left it at that. Its not that visible but it is there.

The above incidents shows about the quality Maruti has now.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi Guys,

Its very easy to fry a clutch if the valet drove with the handbrake engaged. All he needs to do is drive for maybe 50-100 mtrs(maybe lesser) and its bye bye clutch.

Viper
I think you've hit the nail bang on the head.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

I don't think someone can burn the clutch just like that, i guess clutch maybe on its last leg which just gave up that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
IMO the hotel's not at fault. In all probability the clutch was on it's last legs and the valet parking thing is just a coincidence. No point trading charges over it. Besides even if you go to a court since they did not charge you for valet services and they also prominently display signs that "parking is done at owner's risk" your claim would not hold much water in a court of law.
writing just that won't hold for a minute in court
Old 27th March 2009, 18:27   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
the valet drove with the handbrake engaged
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why would the driver destroy the clutch willfully?
Highly, highly unlikely. The valet has to keep working at his job, and he can't drive more than a few metres within the hotel compound with the handbrake engaged. That can't destroy a "perfect" clutch. If he went out of the hotel compound with the car to intentionally burn out the clutch, he'd have been out looking for another job. And his exit/entry from the hotel compound would have been recorded on the surveillance cameras and the gatekeepers' record books. Check this info from the hotel to confirm that the car never left the compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
its very much possible to damage the clutch and specially on slopes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I think its very difficult to burn out the clutch completely at just 7000 Km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I dont thinks its techically possible for the clutch to wear out this fast.
7000 km of extended misuse/abuse can lead to clutch burnout, not 50 metres of doing whatever at all. Broken clutch plates/springs, yes, but burnt out plate, absolutely NO.

@ coolmob: Will you say it on oath that your friend NEVER ripped his car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Dad's new swift front left door has paint "ripples".
You're probably looking at dealer-performed repairs on that door, subsequent to damage during transport/testing in dealer's hands. Insist on a fresh paint job till you are satisfied.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

For a hotel as Taj, don't they have even that much money to hire and train some proper staff? I am relying on the fact that CoolMob's friends was mentioned to be a person who is an experience driver and knows his car well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks