Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 07:04   #1
BHPian

Incidents on spotting your sold car

Are there any incidents of getting back/spotting a family car sold years back?
What was the reaction?
Old 30th March 2009, 07:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Are there any incidents of getting back/spotting a family car sold years back?
What was the reaction?
flagged the guy down had a look at the car and offered him to buy it back now its standing at my pind (village)
BTW the car was a M800 was my first car sold her after i crashed her in the same condition only
Old 30th March 2009, 09:43   #3
BHPian

I think we are all Romantics, loves lost and found and thank God there is no law about having more that one car.

Of the 50 or so cars and bikes that have passed through my life the one I regret most having sold was a 1932 Studebaker Rockne Roadster. Purchased in 1959 during my last year of university, I owned it for 8 years and sold it while living in Montreal. I moved to Toronto and about 10 years later started to try and locate it and had a friend in Montreal try and track it down through the ministry of transportation with out success.

About 10 years ago I went searching the internet and left postings on various Studebaker Club websites with no luck, after about three years I got an email from Florida and finally found my old Rockne. It had been repainted red and was in fair condition I was told. I was able to give the son, who now owned the car it's providence as it was a fairly rare car and had been been featured at the Toronto National Exposition introducing the line into Canada in the Fall of 1932.

While here in Calcutta with lots of time to surf around I was able to see posted a photo of my car as well as photos of similar Rochnes that were finished in a similar colour as mine had been, as it was 95% original when I had purchased it. Would love to have again and bring it over here for restoration but I will have to console myself with my !962 Fiat deluxe.

I am sure this thread will continue as long as there are Car Lovers in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Incidents on spotting your sold car-rocne.jpg  

Incidents on spotting your sold car-picrockneregajmo-65-std-rdstrtu.jpg  

Incidents on spotting your sold car-pic-rockneregtarrant-10stdrdstr.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 30th March 2009 at 09:45. Reason: typo
Old 30th March 2009, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Woah, what a thread.Brilliant

Saw my cherry red 800 a month back while going to reclamation and my chest was 2 inches higher after that.

The guy i sold it too was taking the reclamation turn at around 100 kmph and stretching her legs, exactly like how i used to.

Flagged him down , had a chat and he told me about the things he got done in the car and man o man i m glad to know she is happy with that guy.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man this is insane! I was totally thinking of starting such a thread a couple of days back. Full credit to you though, stampro !!

I've never seen a car we sold, inspite of the fact that I remember all our car numbers. Saw my uncle's Indigo only a month after he sold it, we've taken a lot of trips in that car together so it was kinda close to heart.

I remember Dippy mentioning he saw his old purple Zen about a couple of weeks back.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:11   #6

I see one of my Fiats regularly. And i would do anything to see ang get back my darling MMY 43!!!
Old 30th March 2009, 17:24   #7
BHPian

Tmp 5555

I would be happy to see TMP 5555 a Padmini.
Blue in colour when sold.
Never saw it again.

Seems whenever we look at old cars we search for OUR cars also at the back of the mind

Last edited by stampro : 30th March 2009 at 17:27.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:38   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bah, merely spotting your ex-car? Iceman spotted his old Baleno. And bought it AGAIN http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ho-s-back.html. Yup, I know. Only on Team-BHP.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yep I did see my Zen which I sold two years ago. I spotted it at Mahim going in the opposite direction. Really nostalgic moment that.
Old 30th March 2009, 22:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

OK...well, I did spot both of our M800s- first one a Bottle green '94 model, sold by my dad to someone in our old colony itself....I think they too subsequently sold it.
Then 2nd 800- 2k model, 'Henna Green' as it was called- which we bought in Hyd. and sold in Vizag around 2004, when we were living there briefly.
'saw it a couple of times at a local garage there I used to take my car to in 2005- last saw it had an L-sticker on it and the right front fender/bodywing was dented, undergone some tinkering and covered fully in filler paste! BUT I was never attached to either of these cars, so....!

Then saw a 1960 Standard Pennant I bought from a scrapguy in 2007 and sold last year to someone here- last saw it 6+ months ago, covered in red-oxide.
I heard he was painting it in cream+green. This car needed quite a lot of work, so I didn't particularly regret selling it to someone who could handle it better.

I've of course heard again about other cars I had after selling them, then also my dad's first car- a 1951 Ford Prefect that he sold in '81, just before I was born. The car after being sold, sat junking away in an open plot for years, subsequently with a tree growing through the seats I was told! They eventually sold it part by part for scrap!
That's about it for now.
Old 30th March 2009, 22:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rush,
Yes not only did I spot my car but got her back and am happily reunited
Old 30th March 2009, 23:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

My mom and I spotted our old Padmini a few years ago - on TV. During a local version of Cops. Apparently the media had filmed it with the cops when they were in hot pursuit since some gangsters were using it. We immediately rushed and checked in the RTO office and were relieved that it wasnt in our name anymore.

Never spotted our old Ikon though.
Old 30th March 2009, 23:18   #13
BHPian

I did spot my dad's old vtec years ago. It was being driven by a pretty woman. At that point I wasn't a member of TBHP and did not know what a diamond it was.

Fortunately I was alone on the bike that day, followed the car for some distance reminding myself of all the memories associated with the car.
Old 31st March 2009, 01:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Never show my Zen again after selling her :-(. Whenever I see a old beige color Zen, I try to find out if this was my old lady. Till now no luck. Did checked the traffic police website once to check if their is any pending fine. And it seems the current owner have a pending fine for parking at no parking area;-).
Old 31st March 2009, 11:05   #15
BHPian

I keep seeing our M800 ( the second one ) near my house all the time. Thankfully, it is kept in not-so-bad condition till now.
I also spotted our M1000 in mumbai just a month after selling it off - the car was painted, given new bumpers, installed with some basic but nice ICE. Just felt so happy
Sadly, I never got to see my zen and Palio, after it was sold off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks