Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 09:28   #1516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just watched '' The Surrogates '' starring bruce Willis.

Nice Sci Fi - in the near future everyone has a surrogate or a computer robot which is controlled by the owner. Crime rates are zero. When a murder happens things seem to be quite different from what they are.

4/5
That's one of the movie in my "TO-Watch" list. Also there's a similar kind of movie GAMER(2009) (Gamer (2009)). Waiting to get my hands on these DVDs .
Old 16th December 2009, 09:55   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
That's one of the movie in my "TO-Watch" list. Also there's a similar kind of movie GAMER(2009) (Gamer (2009)). Waiting to get my hands on these DVDs .
Saw both of them a while ago. Both are one time watchable. Decent thrillers.
Do watch them. Gerard Butler is very good in Gamer and Willis in Surrogates. Gamer has nice sound effect relying on action, its bound to be like that.

Have fun.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:55   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Who has seen Attack the Gas Station ?
A Korean Movie. This is one laugh riot(different comedy style) actually insipired by real life copycats per the director. Attack the Gas Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating : 4/5

Ichi the killer
A japanese movie. Black Comedy type, i bet that all other gore movies i've seen, this is one of best and made so very natural. i'd say its meant 21+ audience only and not meant for the weak heart.
Ichi the Killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating : 5/5
The stuff is made so authentic and life like. It gave me the freaks for atleast a week.

Night Watch(2004) and Day Watch (2006)
A russian sci-fi'ish/horror movie vampire movie ..... based on a novel. Its fight between the light and dark other's. A great, great movie to watch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(2004_film)
Day Watch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating 4.7/5 for both. Few poth oles are present, however the novel cover's up the potholes of the movie.

Since i dont see much of foreign movie's postings, hence i posted the best one's i know. They are few more as well. Need to dig them up.

Thanks for sharing this list. Do these have English sub-titles ?
Old 16th December 2009, 10:56   #1519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Mulholland Dr.: had postponed watching it because of reviews read that it is confusing. Finally watched it. must say the first 110 mins dispelled my fears, but then those reviews came true in the last 30 mins. Had to go to moviespoilers to figure out and confirm my understanding. The last 30 mins was like a dark Kubrick style. The first 110 mins more to my liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Mulholland Drive is good but I found Lost Highway (also directed by David Lynch) even better. Good performances by Patricia Arquette and Bill Pullman......great soundtrack too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Try Mulholland Drive or Memento. These don't exactly fit the genre of murder mysteries though. But they do have an element of surprise.
My friends,

I saw Mulholland Dr yesterday. Could not make the head or tail of it. Tolerated 75% of the movie thinking that all would come together in the last 25%, but it just didn't happen.

Checked out the web to try and understand, but not convinced. Gets a zero rating from me
Old 16th December 2009, 17:03   #1520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Thanks for sharing this list. Do these have English sub-titles ?

Same here. I am dying to queue them on my list. Nick, please share the info if they have subtitles, else would have to chuck the idea since i am in no mood to learn Korean, Japanese or Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My friends,

I saw Mulholland Dr yesterday. Could not make the head or tail of it. Tolerated 75% of the movie thinking that all would come together in the last 25%, but it just didn't happen.

Checked out the web to try and understand, but not convinced. Gets a zero rating from me
Same here. I had a tough time understanding this one. Had to use all the grey matter that i had.

Watched " Red Dragon" starring Edward Norton and Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Superb Physcological thriller. A movie with Sir AP can never be bad. Plus, Ed is also a nice actor.

Must watch, some of the scenes will make you jump, so beware

4/5
Old 16th December 2009, 17:17   #1521
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Red Dragon" starring Edward Norton and Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Superb Physcological thriller. A movie with Sir AP can never be bad. Plus, Ed is also a nice actor.

Must watch, some of the scenes will make you jump, so beware

4/5
Red Dragon is part of the "Silence of the Lambs" series - the chronology is actually before Silence of the Lambs, though SOTL was made 10-15 years earlier.

Ed Norton is Ok in the movie. Norton's two outstanding movies are "Primal Fear" & "American History X" - his performances in these 2 movies were amazing.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:00   #1522
BHPian

Avatar is coming in 3D and in normal 2D, which version to go and see at local multiplex?
Old 16th December 2009, 18:05   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Ichi the killer
A japanese movie. Black Comedy type, i bet that all other gore movies i've seen, this is one of best and made so very natural. i'd say its meant 21+ audience only and not meant for the weak heart.
Ichi the Killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating : 5/5
The stuff is made so authentic and life like. It gave me the freaks for atleast a week.

Since i dont see much of foreign movie's postings, hence i posted the best one's i know. They are few more as well. Need to dig them up.
Ichi the Killer is one of my favorites too. Takashi Miike (who directed the film) is one of my all time favorite directors. If you like your cinema pure unadulterated, shocking and violent, Miike is the man! I would recommend the following movies by Miike San:

1. Gozu - Surreal and crazy film about a missing dead gangster, cow headed demons, perversion and hyper lactation! This movie has to be seen to be believed!

2. Visitor Q - a film about a dysfunctional family involving Violence, Incest, Necrophilia, lactation (again) and other weird explorations of social taboos all served with a nice dash of humor! Trust Miike to offend you, shock the hell out of you but still make you chuckle while you cringe.

3. Audition - a unsuspecting light and slow romantic film that keeps building up towards a horrific, violent and depraved climax in the last 15 minutes of the film . Pure genius! Not for the faint hearted!

4. Imprint - This ultra violent horror shocker was meant to be broadcast on TV for the Masters of Horror series. The producer (Mick Garris) approached Miike to direct a horror film for cable broadcast. Miike being himself made such a violent film that it has been banned from cable broadcast in the USA. This movie was too hardcore to be shown on TV and is avaliable only on DVD.

Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez and Eli Roth are huge fans of Miike and you can see Miikes influence in their recent works. MIike was also invited to do a cameo in Eli Roth's Hostel!

Just be warned that these movies can be very offensive, violent, brutal, perverted, gory and shocking! If you thought films like Hostel are the pinnacle of blood, guts and torture, you got another thing coming !!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 16th December 2009 at 18:12.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:08   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Anyone seen 'Bad Lieutenant' and 'American Pie presents the Book of Love' ?

I am gonna watch both tonight.
Old 17th December 2009, 04:56   #1525

Watched AP7: The Book of Love last weekend.

I give it a 5/10. Looking at American Pie 4-7, I consider 4 to still be better than the rest. One thing they have had in common is excessive & irrelevant show of girls, craziness, and frat parties. These sequels didn't seemed to have a balanced story line. Events didn't seem to give space to nor did they complemented each other.

I feel the real cream of the AP series were 1-2-3. These APs 1-2-3 were brought to life with good direction & clear story lines. They've had the right sound tracks at the right time, prompt dose of girls not overdone, unlike the rest of the AP releases 4-5-6-7.

Of course, besides these props, the actual credit goes to Stifler, Jim, Kevin, Oz, & Finch. IMO, these guys brought the story to its golden climax very nicely. These 5 guys set the standards in APs prime. With AP 1-3, although we could make out where the story was going, the overall journey to it was gradual, eventful, strongly related & totally enjoying. The amount of fun, parties, beer, girls & romance was strong & in right proportions.

The Book of Love is comparatively lighter than 4-5-6 & a decent watch as well.

Nevertheless, all American Pie's are a nice to have collection any day.

Best Regards.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:28   #1526
BHPian

Kramer vs Kramer

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-kramer_vs_kramer.jpg

I was in a mofussil high school when it was being shown in a theatre in the nearest city. This was among the first of my English movies. I had understood only a few dialogues but so good were the actor/actress/child that a lot of tears had been shed by me. Much later I watched a Hindi movie starring Amir Khan with the same story and only then could understood the "irresponsible father" bit of the story. The revisit of Kramer vs Kramer was a trip into nostalgia. My rating: 4.5/5

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 17th December 2009 at 07:29.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:15   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Anyone seen 'Bad Lieutenant' and 'American Pie presents the Book of Love' ?

I am gonna watch both tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
Watched AP7: The Book of Love last weekend.

I give it a 5/10. Looking at American Pie 4-7, I consider 4 to still be better than the rest. One thing they have had in common is excessive & irrelevant show of girls, craziness, and frat parties. These sequels didn't seemed to have a balanced story line. Events didn't seem to give space to nor did they complemented each other.

I feel the real cream of the AP series were 1-2-3. These APs 1-2-3 were brought to life with good direction & clear story lines. They've had the right sound tracks at the right time, prompt dose of girls not overdone, unlike the rest of the AP releases 4-5-6-7.

Of course, besides these props, the actual credit goes to Stifler, Jim, Kevin, Oz, & Finch. IMO, these guys brought the story to its golden climax very nicely. These 5 guys set the standards in APs prime. With AP 1-3, although we could make out where the story was going, the overall journey to it was gradual, eventful, strongly related & totally enjoying. The amount of fun, parties, beer, girls & romance was strong & in right proportions.

The Book of Love is comparatively lighter than 4-5-6 & a decent watch as well.

Nevertheless, all American Pie's are a nice to have collection any day.

Best Regards.

I'll give it a 6/10. There were some scenes that were absolutely hilarious. Yeah, girls were popping their tops at the drop of a hat. A lot of eye candy if you are that type.

Did not watch Bad lieutenant yet.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:56   #1528
Team-BHP Support

Falls short of expectations, but then they were sky high!
All in all , from a standalone point, a good movie.
The storyline is not new, David vs Goliath has been told for thousands of years in various forms.
However, I doubt it has been told the way it was told in Avatar.
The love story angle is also nice.
If only the first half was a little less dragged.

If you have a chance, see it in 3-D, otherwise, normal 2-D will also do.
But do not forget to see it, its a movie, which is to be seen!

3.5/5
Old 18th December 2009, 03:03   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Ichi the Killer is one of my favorites too. Takashi Miike (who directed the film) is one of my all time favorite directors. If you like your cinema pure unadulterated, shocking and violent, Miike is the man! I would recommend the following movies by Miike San:
Just be warned that these movies can be very offensive, violent, brutal, perverted, gory and shocking! If you thought films like Hostel are the pinnacle of blood, guts and torture, you got another thing coming !!
i agree. Those movies listed are great. Miike San tries to make most of the scenes authentic especially the black comedy .

@LonelyPlanet & mobike008 : Yes, all the movies have proper coded subtitles, which is hard to find although. I have night watch and day watch in bluray rip's .mkv format which is best to watch it in. Lemme know if you guys need it i have the proper versions of it.

@ carboy: Edward Norton is one of my fav actors. Additonally liked the roles in The Illusionist, 25th Hour (a great story), Pride and glory. Great actor.

Last edited by nosfreak : 18th December 2009 at 03:10.
Old 18th December 2009, 06:18   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Avatar is coming in 3D and in normal 2D, which version to go and see at local multiplex?
I would recommend 3D. its one hell of an experience in 3D. must watch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks