Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 12:51   #1726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
^^. I don't think you will like the movie. Just my hunch.
My My, I am sad. Anyways, i am excited that i will get to wear those glasses atleast

"Hunt for Red October" Starring Sean 'o Connery and Alec Baldwin.

As expected, a very nice and taut thriller based on TC's book. Sean acted very well as usual and was his sauve self as the soviet commander.

Alec as Jack Ryan quite din't jell for me. In my mind, Jack is a much more matured and accomplished player ( Maybe, Harrison Ford)

It comes close to the book but not nearly though.

4/5

P.S: Next in line is Hellraiser-Deader. Any ideas about this one here?
Old 19th February 2010, 13:00   #1727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Alec as Jack Ryan quite din't jell for me. In my mind, Jack is a much more matured and accomplished player ( Maybe, Harrison Ford)

It comes close to the book but not nearly though.
Although I agree with you, did you know Tom Clancy holds exactly the opposite view? He loved Alec as Jack Ryan, but hated Harrison Ford playing that role saying Ford is too old for that role.

BTW, I have read all the books in Jack Ryan series, including Without Remorse where Jack Ryan's father is hunting for John Clark, who was then known as John Kelly. Here Jack is a highschool kid without much role.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:15   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know i am very late.

Booked in for a visual experience of "Avataar" on sunday late night show at Prasad IMAX in 3D version.

Please tell me i am getting excited for a good reason
Even I'm going for Avatar at IMAX today late evening show. Will give you the feedback whether it is worth it or not.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:32   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Hachiko: A Dog's Story" couple days ago. A must watch for every dog lover. A very moving story about a dog's loyalty to his master. One of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:39   #1730
BHPian

My Take on Avatar (taken from earlier in the thread)

Quote:
Avatar 3D: Mixed feelings about this one. Loved the imagination, and the proliferation of colours. The mythical world of Pandora was magnificently created in awesome detail. 3D added to the whole experience. However, the story was totally lame. Would have been a complete chick flick if you take the guns out of the equation. One time watch only. 3/5
Old 19th February 2010, 18:16   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Although I agree with you, did you know Tom Clancy holds exactly the opposite view? He loved Alec as Jack Ryan, but hated Harrison Ford playing that role saying Ford is too old for that role.
Well, I didnt know that and i am surprised the creator thinks that way. But, atleast for me the point remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Even I'm going for Avatar at IMAX today late evening show. Will give you the feedback whether it is worth it or not.
Waiting for the feedback. A ping on BB would be appreciated during interval of the movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
My Take on Avatar (taken from earlier in the thread)
Thats a pretty vague feedback. Is it a go or no-go?

Anyways, cant help it money has already exited the credit card so have to see it for sure on sunday
Old 19th February 2010, 18:36   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a pretty vague feedback. Is it a go or no-go?

Anyways, cant help it money has already exited the credit card so have to see it for sure on sunday
The story will put most Bollywood masalas to shame. The movie is all about special effects, which are mind-blowing. Definitely worth watching once in 3D. Watching it on DVD at home will be a complete waste of time, so go watch it before it's taken off by the theaters.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:20   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Avatar 3D at IMAX 3D in Hyderabad should be mind blowing!
Old 19th February 2010, 23:11   #1734
BHPian

Saw Agora a day ago, starring Rachel Weisz.. the only reason i wanted to see it

its about the story of hypatia, a female philosopher in egypt, who is portrayed by Weisz. her slave falls in love with her but once the city is taken over. things are different.
a good one time watch though..... although me being a christain it might raise some questions.. 3/5
Old 20th February 2010, 01:53   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I just came back from the show and oh boy what an experience. It is the best 200 bucks that I have ever spent on a movie. The movie is definitely a must watch on 3D specially when the in jungle and inflight scenes come-in and you feel like also in air.

Just for the super special effects and cinematography:5/5
Old 20th February 2010, 03:29   #1736
Senior - BHPian

My Oscar Series Continues

After coming home, decided to finish watching the last 30 minutes of "The Hurt Locker".

The movie revolves around the lives of the US Soldiers posted especially 3 men of the Army Bomb Disposal Unit. Jeremy Renner as Team Leader of the Unit is amazing. The contradiction and the scare of war is very well captured by the character of Owen Eldridge, the youngest soldier of the unit. His reaction after making his first kill during a shoot-out is like the opening of floodgate. The movie opens with a statement that addiction to war is more lethal than any drug and is again exemplified by the protagonist who after finishing his tour of duty goes back to civilian life but finds him a misfit and comes back for another round for a year.

For any one interested in defence and army matters, this is a must watch. I would rate it 4/5 for fast paced & taut story line and overall acting.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:33   #1737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
It certainly would be !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Saw Agora a day ago, starring Rachel Weisz.. the only reason i wanted to see it

its about the story of hypatia, a female philosopher in egypt, who is portrayed by Weisz. her slave falls in love with her but once the city is taken over. things are different.
a good one time watch though..... although me being a christain it might raise some questions.. 3/5
Nick, saw a movie after a long break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I just came back from the show and oh boy what an experience. It is the best 200 bucks that I have ever spent on a movie. The movie is definitely a must watch on 3D specially when the in jungle and inflight scenes come-in and you feel like also in air.

Just for the super special effects and cinematography:5/5
I am glad to see this review. Now i am happy that my 400 bucks too will be well spent. Can't wait for Sunday, 10:30pm
Old 20th February 2010, 13:14   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Law abiding citizen'
Really gripping and nicely directed.
Butler does a good job but i still feel an actor with better facial expressions could have made this a masterpiece.
Still a very good thriller.
Rating- 4/5
Old 20th February 2010, 17:28   #1739
BHPian

Watched The Last of the Mohicans today. It is a period drama set in America in the Eighteenth Century where the French and the British were engaged in pitched battles, with local Indian tribes as allies, for colonial supremacy. Daniel Day-Lewis plays the lead protagonist in this movie directed by Michael Mann. I liked the movie but the print was rather too dark when the scenes were meant to be darkly lit.
Old 20th February 2010, 18:48   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Saw "12 Angry men" yesterday. Very nice movie shot is a single room most of the time. I would give it a 4/5 rating.

Most Viewed