Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 19:23   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is the first time I have commented on Fight Club, I saw it only this weekend for the first time. You must be thinking of Reservoir Dogs.

May be because I have been a student of violence (martial arts) for so long, I don't like violence for the sake of violence. For example, I love Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brother kind of righteous violence, but the Michael Madsen brand of psychotic violence is revolting to me.
if you liked saving private Ryan. Then you will ABSOLUTELY love Band Of Brothers.
its a mini series(10 part A very High Budget series, produced by Tom Hanks&Spielberg) about the Easy Company, a group of paratroopers fighting against Nazis in Germany.

Some say BOB is one of the greatest show's ever made only thing that comes close to it is the now running "The Pacific" which is all about American troops across Japan after the pearl Harbor Attack Right Now the Third episode has been Aired.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:32   #1997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
if you liked saving private Ryan. Then you will ABSOLUTELY love Band Of Brothers.
its a mini series(10 part A very High Budget series, produced by Tom Hanks&Spielberg) about the Easy Company, a group of paratroopers fighting against Nazis in Germany.
Well, I did mention it along with Saving Private Ryan. I saw it when it was first telecast by HBO.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:40   #1998
Senior - BHPian

The Pacific is right now being aired(3rd Episode) has not picked up pace compared to BOB and But i definitely have faith in the series and expect proper character building to start pretty soon.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:19   #1999
Senior - BHPian

What is the timing of airing of Pacific? I'm not at all up to date with the recent happenings in TV world.
Yes, BoB is amazing although I've watched only first 3 episodes (loved them, they felt like a natural sequel for Saving Private Ryan) , so I bought the Box set recently. But the set turned out to be locked to region A & B :-(.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:31   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how many people keep track of International Movies, I watched an Internationally acclaimed French movie by name "A Prophet" , of course I would have not seen it, if not for the English subtitles.

The movie to me looked like a typical Indian Masala movies. I was still wondering what do people see in movies like this.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:32   #2001
Team-BHP Support

I watched BOB back in 2001, I want to watch it again.

Quote:
But the set turned out to be locked to region A & B :-(.
Why is that a problem? Rip the DVD using MakeMKV and watch it. This region coding is the most stupid thing ever implemented. I have lots of DVD with region 1 coding, and lot more with other region coding. What am I supposed to do, have multiple DVD players?
Old 29th March 2010, 20:48   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me too watched it during those days, watched the first few episodes and then lost track due to work.
Quote:
Why is that a problem? Rip the DVD using MakeMKV and watch it. This region coding is the most stupid thing ever implemented. I have lots of DVD with region 1 coding, and lot more with other region coding. What am I supposed to do, have multiple DVD players?
Oops, sorry I forgot to mention, it's a Blu-ray set hence not possible for me to rip them. I've made my DVD player to be region free but can't heck the PS3 as there is no mod available to do so. Ordering a region A Blu-ray player (which can be modded support all region anyway) so that I can enjoy the best of both the worlds. Even I can't understand the logic of this region locking. And for the BoB it's locked only for region C (India falls in region C) and unlocked for both A and B, just can't understand why.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:50   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a Philips DVD player and I unlocked it and set it to Region 0 or Region 9 (Dont remember which) due to which I can watch any region DVD
Old 29th March 2010, 20:57   #2004
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The Prestige" over the weekend.

Very good movie with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. Story is gripping till the very end.

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 29th March 2010, 21:02   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
What is the timing of airing of Pacific? I'm not at all up to date with the recent happenings in TV world.
Yes, BoB is amazing although I've watched only first 3 episodes (loved them, they felt like a natural sequel for Saving Private Ryan) , so I bought the Box set recently. But the set turned out to be locked to region A & B :-(.
Pacific airs right now only in select countries.
for it to air on our HBO will take at least 1-2 years.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:32   #2006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Watched "The Prestige" over the weekend.

Very good movie with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. Story is gripping till the very end.

Rating - 4.5/5
Concur that. Simply superb.

Also 'Good Will Hunting' and 'The Pursuit of Happyness' is a must watch. Love those two.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:44   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Concur that. Simply superb.

Also 'Good Will Hunting' and 'The Pursuit of Happyness' is a must watch. Love those two.
Have not seen TPOH but Good Will Hunting is an amazing movie. Would again rate it 4.5/5 for the acts portrayed by the protagonists specially Matt Damon.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:05   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have not seen TPOH but Good Will Hunting is an amazing movie. Would again rate it 4.5/5 for the acts portrayed by the protagonists specially Matt Damon.
And not to forget Robin Williams!!

Watch TPOH, Will Smith at his best.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:07   #2009
BHPian

Saw these over the weekend:

Precious (based on the novel by Sapphire): Depressing, heart-rending movie. A young black girl who is on the heavier side (sic), is dismissed from school for being pregnant the second time at the age of 16. She has an abusive family life, with a good-for-nothing mother, and a rapacious boyfriend of hers. How she deals with this, reconciles her dreams, takes shelter in her dreams, and finds some friends is the theme. The pace is steady, the mood is depressing, and the performances are superb. One piece of advice, do not watch it on a weekend unless you already have the blues

Hachiko A Dogs Story: The story of a loyal Japanese Dog (or Daag, as Pitt would say in Snatch) who waited for his master at the train station till he died. Based on a true Japanese story, this one is a remake of the original Japanese classic. Nothing much happens in the movie, and I found it boring. The wife loved the dog, though she was not very impressed with story either(i am not much of a dog lover).

Am not giving any ratings to these movies, not a fan of either genre. Make up your own mind.

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 30th March 2010 at 11:08.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:36   #2010
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Beneath".

Its a horror/thriller and story about 2 sisters. One of them is taken for dead after an accident and his buried. But, her younger sister has doubts she aint dead and goes about investigating to dig out the truth with some horrific results.

I prefer watching such movies late in the night with lights dimmed out. It scared for for sure which means I liked the movie.

Decent time pass thrilling movie

3/5

P.S : Al Pacino starring "Serpico" lined up next.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks