Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 14:16   #2101
BHPian

wolf man- thanks for suggesting serpent and the rainbow.
good thriller, though not the "edge of the seat "type.
the music seemed out of place.i would rate it 3.5/5

watched fracture- a real twister - 4/5
Old 24th April 2010, 18:59   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Watched Hurt Locker

Its a nice movie showing the lives of members of a Bomb Squad in the war Struck Iraq. The movie is more like a documentary. Dont expect any heroic actions & you should be fine. I think its the finer details which made it earn so many accolades.

My rating 3/5
Old 24th April 2010, 23:57   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched Hurt Locker
I think its the finer details which made it earn so many accolades.
Yes,full marks for its mind-blowing cinematography and the incredibly intense action scenes,especially the sniper shoot-out!
Old 26th April 2010, 06:06   #2104
BHPian

The serpent and the rainbow

Review: Story of a doctor who goes to Haiti in search of a powder, which makes human zombies.! He succeeds eventually after facing wrath of the local sheriff. If this is a real story indeed Haiti is birth place of voodoo. I liked the mention the thing, where the hero mentions, 'that this guy will give a run for its money for the PhD's back'

@Wolfheart : I was not able to understand; why initially he was given a liquid to drink and what the sheriff was doing at the vaid/voodoo'er, and what was the consequence of it! Did I miss anything?

Rating: 3/5

Cronos
Review: The story about an artifact collector who incidentally handles an artifact made by an alchemist(which increases the life of a human being). Unfortunately someone else is also looking for the same.This is the classical Del Toro/Fantasy type movie and liked the end. I guess Ron Perlman- Del toro association goes wayback.

Rating: 3/5 (Since after finishing the movie i found there was no content/storyline, but still has the suspense/thrill aspect in it intact)

The lovely Bones (Peter Jackson,Mark Wahlburg,Rachel Weiz)

Review : The story of a girl who is raped and murdered, and then she is stuck somewhere between heaven and earth and looks down to her family, about how they find out who the killer is. This is the uttermost crap movie i have ever seen and would not recommend to anyone. The fact that it came from PJ, and the starcast was only the reason i watched this movie. The movie is so out of place that it never grips you ; With crap/fantasy world where the girl moves around the trees and what not.I just fwded n no of times while watching it.
Rating: 1/5 ( 1 because i loved the Dog in the movie.)
Old 26th April 2010, 14:04   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
The serpent and the rainbow

@Wolfheart : I was not able to understand; why initially he was given a liquid to drink and what the sheriff was doing at the vaid/voodoo'er, and what was the consequence of it! Did I miss anything?
I think that you're referring to the scene at the beginning of the movie. The protagonist is an anthropologist who is studying the use of hallucinogenic plants / herbs by shamans and witchdoctors(Shamanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Many tribes use a concoction of sacred herbs in order to induce visions to predict the future etc(Psychedelics, dissociatives and deliriants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). So in this scene, he's probably somewhere in the amazon with this tribal shaman who gives him a potion to drink. When under the influence of such potions / drugs a person has intense spiritual experiences / visions. During such a trance sometimes, the past, present and future melt and blend with each other.

What Bill Pullman's character sees during the trance are visions of the future and of impending danger. That's why he's sees the sheriff / bokor in such a frightening manifestation. He also falls into a pit or a grave where he is being grabbed by hands of the dead. This is an omen that tells him of future events (we see later in the move how he's buried alive and almost becomes a zombie himself).But the most important thing that happens during the trance is that he's introduced to his totem / spirit guide (Totem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which is a jaguar.

This is my interpretation of the scene, which I think is more or less accurate. However there are many messages being conveyed through that particulas scene.

By the way, The Serpent and the Rainbow is based on a true story. It's based on Dr. Wade Davis' book of the same title. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ser..._Rainbow_(book))
Old 26th April 2010, 15:36   #2106
J.Ravi

Yesterday, I enjoyed watching crime-comedy movies, Analyse This and Analyse that back2back on WB channel. The movies, the preuel and sequel respectively, depicted the strong friendship between a mafia don [Robert De Niro] and a psychiatrist [Billy Crystal]. Billy Crystal was the executive producer and wrote the screenplay with others.

In the prequel, the psychiatrist's marriage gets interrupted not once, but twice, thanks to his 'patient' the mafia don! On both the occasions, the bridegroom gets whisked away by the latter's henchman as the don wants to have the 'soonest possible' consultation with the psychiatrist! A hilarious comedy to end the week-end.

Rating: 4/5

Last edited by J.Ravi : 26th April 2010 at 15:38.

Old 26th April 2010, 16:30   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Just watched 'How to Train your dragon' in 3D. It is an animated film and I must say I was very impressed with it. Really good work.

I would rate it 4.5/5
Old 26th April 2010, 17:18   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Watched following over the weekend:
1. Snatch: Can watch it any number of times. I realized i know quite a few dialogs by heart!

2. Oldboy : Korean movie. Sickest revenge movie i ever saw!!!

3. Memento : A re-watch. Gripping as ever!

4. American Psycho: Nice work by Christian Bale. I liked how the movie is a mix of satire and horror.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:50   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Completed watching Band of Brothers this weekend. I must say that it's must must watch for anyone who loves war movies and have interest in WW II. This series takes you through the training and then to Normandy, Paris,Bastogne and then to Germany with Easy Company. Acting is top notch and everyone have portraited their characters so well that you actually feel like they were probably the actual people who fought. The Picture quality in Blu-ray is much better than the DVD and I enjoyed it much more than the DVD version.
Now I'm looking forward to get The Pacific on blu
Old 27th April 2010, 16:18   #2110
BHPian

Watched Hot Fuzz (2007) recently. Nice action-o-comedy with a pinch of mystery. It might not make you ROTFL but would surely make you chuckle, grin and laugh aloud at regular intervals.

Story? A top notch cop made victim of colleagues conspiracy and transferred from London to countryside where the crime rate is quite low; however, accident rate is quite high. He also have to deal with the casual and lethargic attitude of its colleagues. But hold on, things are not so simple as they appear and mysteries unfold as he tries to get deep into the series of accidents and village affairs.

Verdict: A hearty one time watch
Rating: 3.5/5

Last edited by sheetumanu : 27th April 2010 at 16:19.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:02   #2111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
2. Oldboy : Korean movie. Sickest revenge movie i ever saw!!!
Remade in India as Zinda with Sanjay Dutt & John Abraham.
One of the sick stuff has been changed to suit Indian audience (and probably pass censors also).
Old 28th April 2010, 12:29   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Watched Hot Fuzz (2007) recently. Nice action-o-comedy with a pinch of mystery. It might not make you ROTFL but would surely make you chuckle, grin and laugh aloud at regular intervals.

Story? A top notch cop made victim of colleagues conspiracy and transferred from London to countryside where the crime rate is quite low; however, accident rate is quite high. He also have to deal with the casual and lethargic attitude of its colleagues. But hold on, things are not so simple as they appear and mysteries unfold as he tries to get deep into the series of accidents and village affairs.

Verdict: A hearty one time watch
Rating: 3.5/5
Hot Fuzz is a very entertaining movie indeed. It's a comedy suspense thriller. There's a decent amount of gore as well including a few beheadings and impalements. I really like British humor, wit and sarcasm and this movie has plenty of it.

I would also recommend Shawn of the Dead (Horror Comedy) with the same team of actors and a much better movie.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:25   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Hot Fuzz is a very entertaining movie indeed. It's a comedy suspense thriller. There's a decent amount of gore as well including a few beheadings and impalements. I really like British humor, wit and sarcasm and this movie has plenty of it.

I would also recommend Shawn of the Dead (Horror Comedy) with the same team of actors and a much better movie.
Very true, I also find British humor more humorous. Thank you for pointing out the gore part as I forgot to mention it.

As for "Shaun of the Dead", I have added it to the top of my wishlist.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:26   #2114
Senior - BHPian

"World's Fastest Indian" being aired in Zee Studio. Just 25 minutes into the movie. A must watch for those who haven't.
Old 2nd May 2010, 23:53   #2115
BHPian

Just caught Iron Man 2 in the theatre today. Sponsored by Microsoft. There was an event by Microsoft for the launch of Visual Studio 2010 which was followed by the movie.

The best part of the movie was Scarlett. The special effects were also cool. But for some reason I still prefer the first part.

Most Viewed