Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 11:32   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Watched IronMan 2

The movie is good but it gets slow at times & at times a bit confusing but the action & Robert Downy Jr makes it up for all the dull moments. IMHO Scarlet Johnson is wasted. Also the last fight sequence with the main villain could be a bit longer but nevertheless it was fun to watch.

My Rating - 3/5
Old 10th May 2010, 12:11   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Ironman 2-
Good effects. Very less action. Some funny dialogues. A weak story. Scarlett looks amazing. Thats it. First part was much better imo.

Rating- 3/5
Planning to see in a day or two.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:32   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Watched Iron Man 2 in IMAX screen on Saturday late night.

I felt that Iron Man 1 was better anyday. I think the director got a bit confused whether he wanted a out and out tech movie or a sci-fi. The 2nd hour was slightly better and faster compared to the first half. But the camera action especially of the Monaco Race Track was good and effect on the IMAX screen made up for it. At one point I felt as if I was going around an object
Rating : 3/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Watched "Death at a funeral" tonight, its awesome

totally hilarious and would rate it 4.5/5 and recommend.
A typical Brit comedy with very dry sense of humour. I saw it about a year back and totally loved it. Same rating!
Old 10th May 2010, 13:09   #2164
Distinguished - BHPian

OT : My DVD has conked out and unable to see movies since past 2 weeks.

I am going through the most terrible phase of my life
Old 10th May 2010, 14:16   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
OT : My DVD has conked out and unable to see movies since past 2 weeks.

I am going through the most terrible phase of my life
Are you sure you haven't gone into Depression. Avi without movies for 2 weeks is like Sun rising from the west.

Someone please donate him a DVD player
Old 10th May 2010, 16:18   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Weekend watch:

Traffic (Dir. Steven Soderberg, *ing Michael Douglas, Benicio Del Toro, Catherine Zeta Jones, Don Cheadle)

A rather long movie with four parallel stories woven together involving the business of drugs in America. The performances are top notch. Benicio Del Toro stands out.

Rating: 4/5
I saw Traffic in theatres a few years ago. Un-Hollywood style film. Depicts a system thats corrupt on both sides and villain is actually the self. A bit slow, but brilliant
Old 10th May 2010, 23:11   #2167
BHPian

The girl with the dragon tattoo (Swedish with English Subs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Is this the one based on the book by the same name written by Stieg Larsson? I loved the book, didnt know that they made a movie on this too. WIll wait for your review.
Yes, it is based on the book by Stieg Larsson.

The plot:
Blomkvist, a senior investigative journalist in a prestigious magazine, gets convicted in a libel case as his documentary evidence in support of his indictment of a powerful corporate is proved fake. Before going in to serve the jail term he is hired by a retired chief of a family owned business conglomerate to investigate the 40 year old mystery of disappearance of his niece. He is later assisted by an unruly and much abused but brilliant girl Lisbeth (Noomi Rapace in the title role) who specializes in hacking into computers.

This is one taut detective thriller / murder mystery which reminded me of Agatha Christie's Mouse Trap a couple of times.

Rating: 3.5/5 (got lower because of the very uncomfortable parental abuse angle)
Old 10th May 2010, 23:15   #2168
BHPian

Watched Iron Man II yesterday.

The movie was little slow to my liking. Too many Iron Mans spoil the show (there were atleast 50 of them). Ans what is with the Iron Man suit (In the next part, they will be available at your nearest Reid & Taylor store), anyone who puts it on can become one. The scene where Tony Stark discovers a new element was pretty lame as well.

Last few action sequences were good. Scarlett Johansson was looking good, but I felt they couldv'e used more of her. Didnt like Gwyneth Paltrow much in this part.

First part was way better than this one.

My rating: 2.5/5

OT. I didnt like the new Audi R8 much. Like Iron Man I, the older R8 was better.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:44   #2169
BHPian

Watched Ondskan ( Swedish) . It means EVIL.

Its about ragging in schools/college and how a troubled young boy tries to defy the system. Superb acting and editing. 7/10.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:59   #2170
BHPian

"Lost in Translation" - too good. Just too good.

She - So, what are you doing here.
He - Planning a prison break-in. You in or out.

LOL.

Am still wondering what HE whispered to HER at the end.....

Last edited by WindRide : 14th May 2010 at 19:01.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:02   #2171
BHPian

Saw Antichrist. Verdict-Gross.

Any reviews on 'The Men Who Stare at Goats' and 'Sorority Row' ?

Btw, Iron Man II hasn't released in chennai yet :( .
Old 14th May 2010, 19:21   #2172
BHPian

1. Micmacs à tire-larigot (non-stop madness): A satire on arms trade, this is a decent movie, good screenplay, and nice performances. Bazil, the main protagonist, has his father killed by a landmine, and then gets shot in the head (all before the opening credits). Now jobless, and kicked out of his apartment, and with a bullet in his head, he finds a motley group living in a scrapyard. He and his new friends create a plan to get even with the armament manufacturers responsible for Bazil's plight. No seat of the pants, or howling with laughter stuff, more suited to a quiet chuckle here or there. 3/5

2. Invictus: Clint Eastwood movie chronicling the tale of the Springboks (SA Rugby team) during a tumultous time in SA's history when Mandela had just taken over the reins. Nice feel-good story, good performances and a brief look at the feelings of mistrust driving a divided nation at the time make it a worthwhile watch. Morgan Freeman as Mandela and Matt Damon as the Bokke captain Francois Pienaar both shine. Not a typical grab-you-by-the-throat sports movie though. Not a patch on Remember the Titans which has a similar backdrop. 3.5/5
Old 14th May 2010, 21:34   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
"Lost in Translation" - too good. Just too good.

She - So, what are you doing here.
He - Planning a prison break-in. You in or out.

LOL.

Am still wondering what HE whispered to HER at the end.....
This was directed by Sofia Coppola, the daughter of Francis Ford Coppola and this movie won her an oscar.
Sofia also played Don Michael Corleone's daughter in Godfather 3.
Here's a scene with Andy Garcia in Godfather 3:
IMO, For an oscar winning director, she's too gorgeous!
Old 14th May 2010, 21:39   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Antichrist couple of days back.
Sumit has already reviewed it pretty well.
All i will add is that this is the movie that Alejandro Jodorowsky would have made had he not been stoned all the time while making El Topo.
Old 14th May 2010, 21:47   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Losers
After being betrayed and left for dead, members of a CIA black ops team root out those who targeted them for assassination.

Over all an average action flick. Nothing that will make you jump on your seats neither blunt.
3/5

Kick-***
Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan who one day decides to become a super-hero, even though he has no powers, training or meaningful reason to do so.

Very nice movie. A must watch
4/5

A friend of mine recommended me a similar movie to Kick-*** named Defendor gotta check that out.

Most Viewed