Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 06:01   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Kick-***
Dave Lizewski is an unnoticed high school student and comic book fan who one day decides to become a super-hero, even though he has no powers, training or meaningful reason to do so.

Very nice movie. A must watch
4/5

A friend of mine recommended me a similar movie to Kick-*** named Defendor gotta check that out.
Agreed 100% with your review of Kick A**. Its a good movie. The little girl seriously kicks some a**. Awaiting its 2nd part.

I have seen Defendor, not as good compared to Kick A**. You can give it a skip if you want

Last edited by chevelle : 15th May 2010 at 06:03.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:11   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Agreed 100% with your review of Kick A**. Its a good movie. The little girl seriously kicks some a**. Awaiting its 2nd part.

I have seen Defendor, not as good compared to Kick A**. You can give it a skip if you want
Even i saw Kick-a.s.s. a couple of days back. Man whatta movie. The little girl is the best & she seems destined for something big. Nice mindless fun. Agree 100%
Old 15th May 2010, 13:44   #2178
BHPian

Saw the movie "AntiChrist" I could not really make sense out it.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:50   #2179
Senior - BHPian

really looking forward to kick *** ,pity indians have to wait so long to watch good movies :(
Old 15th May 2010, 14:36   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Saw the Antichrist couple of days back.
Sumit has already reviewed it pretty well.
All i will add is that this is the movie that Alejandro Jodorowsky would have made had he not been stoned all the time while making El Topo.
Ahh Jodorowsky! His films are on a different plane altogether! I like EL Topo but Holy Mountain is one of my all time favorite movies. I'm yet to see Santa Sangre.

Jodorowsky has recently made a film called King Shot which is scheduled to release this year. Amongst other actors, the movie stars Marilyn Manson playing a 300 year old pope . Sounds like one helluva movie!
Old 15th May 2010, 23:47   #2181
BHPian

I am covering the classics/imdb top 230 movies. Watched One flew over the cuckoo's nest, 12 angry men, shawshank redemption, dial m for murder. Found all the 4 to be value for time spent. Nice movies. You wont regret.

Can someone suggest goof torrentz/websites/streaming to download/watch live movies such as casablanca, citizen kane, dr zhivago.
Old 16th May 2010, 12:31   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Guys, i am back in business. I gave my Sony DVD Player for repair and that shop owner hasnt opened his store ever since. So, got frustrated and bought a new Phillips DVD Player yesterday.

Watched " Observe and Report" starring Seth Rogen and Ray Liotta

Its a light hearted comedy about a shopping mall cop ( Seth) who is basically a chubby nerd and he gets an opportunity to show his investigation skills when a nude flasher bothers shoppers in that mall.

Its a decent comedy flick with some nice humour but, there are lot of abuse words used through entire movie so it could be a bit embarrasing to watch with family.

3/5

Next in line is "Orphanage" anybody seen it? What you think? Scary?
Old 16th May 2010, 13:29   #2183
J.Ravi

Last night, I watched an excellent thriller 'Catch me if you can' on Z Studio channel. This movie, directed by Steven Spielberg, was based on a true story of Frank, portrayed by Leonardo Di Caprio, who forged cheques and encashed millions of dollars posing as PanAm pilot, doctor, lawyer and prosecutor in 1960s, when he was just 19. He was pursued by FBI agent Carl [Tom Hanks]. It was a cat-and-mouse game and finally the cat caught the mouse. After getting Frank life imprisonment in the maximum security prison, FBI took him in its custody and employed him in its cheque fraud detection division to utilise his extraordinary intelligence in forging cheques. At the end of the movie, the title card informed me that after the completion of his sentence, Frank was happily married with children and employed by leading Fortune 500 companies and leading banks in USA as a designer of their cheques, that could not be forged! Both Frank and Carl continued to be pals and made a lot of money legally!

My ranking: 4/5

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th May 2010 at 13:33.

Old 16th May 2010, 13:46   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Last night, I watched an excellent thriller 'Catch me if you can' on Z Studio channel. This movie, directed by Steven Spielberg, was based on a true story of Frank, portrayed by Leonardo Di Caprio, who forged cheques and encashed millions of dollars posing as PanAm pilot, doctor, lawyer and prosecutor in 1960s, when he was just 19. He was pursued by FBI agent Carl [Tom Hanks]. It was a cat-and-mouse game and finally the cat caught the mouse. After getting Frank life imprisonment in the maximum security prison, FBI took him in its custody and employed him in its cheque fraud detection division to utilise his extraordinary intelligence in forging cheques. At the end of the movie, the title card informed me that after the completion of his sentence, Frank was happily married with children and employed by leading Fortune 500 companies and leading banks in USA as a designer of their cheques, that could not be forged! Both Frank and Carl continued to be pals and made a lot of money legally!

My ranking: 4/5
+1. It indeed is a fantastic movie and Leonardo did a great job. It was re telecasted again today.
Old 16th May 2010, 14:13   #2185
BHPian

mobike008
orphanage is a spanish movie.
good thriller,ofcourse watched it with sub.
the ending was a let down
my rating is 3/5
Old 17th May 2010, 11:48   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched the "Orphanage"

Its a spanish movie with english subtitles. Its a bit complicated movie in similar lines with Sixth Sense and as someone said is slightly more fast paced than that.

I absolutely loved the cinematography, looked like HDR images through out. Its isn't frightening at all but, in a couple of instances makes you jump.

Even i didnt like the ending which seemed like the most appropriate thing to do. Would have expected a more dramatic ending.

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line is " Holecroft Covenent", has anyone seen this spy thriller?

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2010 at 11:50.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:58   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Next in line is " Holecroft Covenent", has anyone seen this spy thriller?
There is a movie like that???:O

Remember reading the Ludlum novel. Not his best work, but decent nonetheless. Let us know how the movie turned out.

Watched Iron Man 2.

Liked it. Pace, background score, Downey's quips all were nice. Nick Fury (Jackson) was good in his little part too. Johansson was ok. Loved Mickey Rourke, he is one bada** anti-hero. All in all 2 hrs well spent. Watch it. Not comparing with the first movie, standalone this is a decent enough movie which delivers what it promises.

PS: Wait till the end of the credits at the end <wink wink>
Old 17th May 2010, 12:18   #2188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
There is a movie like that???:O

Remember reading the Ludlum novel. Not his best work, but decent nonetheless. Let us know how the movie turned out.
Yup, its based on Robert Ludlum novel starring Michael Caine. Hoping it would be intriguing affair !!

Need to see Iron Man 2. Havent seen the first yet, so will i enjoy the 2nd edition?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:23   #2189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Need to see Iron Man 2. Havent seen the first yet, so will i enjoy the 2nd edition?
Whats stopping you (of all people) from watching the first part first ?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:25   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Watched Star Wars Episode IV, V and VI. Would rate them 3.5/5 just for the effects/ graphics for such old movies.

I never knew that movies like Independence Day and Avatar have drawn some inspiration from Star Wars. Now I know.

Most Viewed