Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 02:36   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I too watched the A-team last saturday - Nice movie - delivers what it promises. Especially the Alpha Mike Foxtrot part

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The A-Team
'Overkill is Underrated'

Its based on the popular A-Team TV series. And adaptability is awesome, unlike Miami Vice which was not too good.

The cast is awesome. All fit in their respective roles easily. Mad Murdock is scene stealer with great flying skills. At regular intervals there is action which is great and entertaining, keeping you on tenter hooks. The introduction of all four characters is superb. Loved it all the way.

There are some scenes which needs you to shut your brain off from thinking as it is indeed exaggerated but that's a part of the film that works.

Simply said, its entertaining, its a visual delight and a great popcorn munching experience.

Go for it. 4/5. point deducted for some impossible scenes and a little haywire plot.
Yeah, can you imagine the Mexicans with fully loaded choppers could not take a single shot at the hospital chopper for half an hour and once in US airspace within seconds a jet comes and w/o validity fires heat seekers on the chopper which hits the Mexicans on the spot. And we blame the Hindi movies. Come on.
I liked the A-team TV series with Mr. T better.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:14   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

Yeah, can you imagine the Mexicans with fully loaded choppers could not take a single shot at the hospital chopper for half an hour and once in US airspace within seconds a jet comes and w/o validity fires heat seekers on the chopper which hits the Mexicans on the spot. And we blame the Hindi movies. Come on.
I liked the A-team TV series with Mr. T better.
That's why i mentioned it in my review, some impossible scenes being one of them. But loved the way Murdock flew the copter. Also the tank with parachute falling down is kinda hard to digest. But its all in good fun.

Its better to shut our brain during those scenes. That's what i do when i watch Hindi movies like Housefull and stuff.

Last edited by chevelle : 15th June 2010 at 11:16.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:14   #2283
Senior - BHPian

The Contractor (2007)

Wesley Snipes is a marks man. He is hired to kill someone very important and once its done finds himself in a mess.

Its a good entertaining action movie. Very very similar to Shooter. If you have seen Shooter you may skip this.

On its own, it has its own merits. The young girl is exceptional. She is cute and acts well too. Snipes too does a decent job.

A good movie to rent. Not to add to collection.

4/5
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:06   #2284
BHPian

since there is a dearth of worthwhile new releases have been watching old BW movies, largely film noir/mystery:
1. Mildred Pierce (3.5/5)

2. The Third Man (3.5/5)
^i think this movie is marred by the soundscore. somehow found the background music did not match what was happening onscreen.

3. Laura (4/5)

4. Lady from Shanghai (3.5/5)
^ some very strong diagloues spoken ever so softly by Orson Welles.

5. Citizen Kane (4.5/5)
^ has a lot of mood. some sets are very bizarre. a very moody movie but i really liked this one.

2,4 & 5 are ones that star Orson Welles.

Last edited by maven : 22nd June 2010 at 19:09.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:08   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

"Worlds Fastest Indian" - starring Sir Anthony Hopkins.

The film based on the Invercargill, New Zealand speed bike racer Burt Munro who dreams of racing in salt flats in Utah, USA and make his dream come true at a very old age.

This movie will surely lift your spirits, make tears come to your eyes, and you feel like standing up and applauding ( i did that, even though watched at home) and shows what a man can do if he sets his mind to a job.

Movie won 9 oscar awards and is a must watch and surely a collectors item

5/5

P.S: Anybody watched " Brother, Where art thou' starring George Clooney directed by Coen Brothers?
Old 24th June 2010, 14:28   #2286
BHPian

Just booked the tickets for Toy Story 3D in Inox for this saturday. Anyone else watching this movie? I'm a big Pixar fan so I always watch their movies as soon as they release in india.

By the way, I don't think "The World's fastest Indian" was even nominated for any Oscars, let alone win 9 of them .
Old 24th June 2010, 15:31   #2287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
By the way, I don't think "The World's fastest Indian" was even nominated for any Oscars, let alone win 9 of them .
Is that so? I thought i read it on the DVD cover and certain about the number 9. Not sure if it was nominated in 9 categories or won the award?

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th June 2010 at 15:34.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:48   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is that so? I thought i read it on the DVD cover and certain about the number 9. Not sure if it was nominated in 9 categories or won the award?
It won a few awards in New Zealand and Australia, so they probably just said 9 awards. However, that doesn't take away anything from the fact that it is a great movie.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:57   #2289
Senior - BHPian

The Narrows (2008)

I have mix feeling about this movie. Its good but not compelling enough. Its takes lots of time to get going, but once it does, its cool.

For this kinda story - gangster/underworld story of NY, its an often repeated subject so some may not find anything fancy.

Acting is good by principle star cast. Someone more competent would have made things more interesting though. The only name i could figure out from title was of Sophia Bush and she looks HOT.

See the movie if you have nothing better to do like me

3/5
Old 24th June 2010, 16:59   #2290
J.Ravi

I enjoyed watching 'The Ghost Writer', a political thriller, in the Singapore Airlines flight between Singapore and Melbourne, yesterday. Pierce Brosnan portrayed the character of Adam Langs, a former British Prime Minister, in this film directed by Roman Polanski. Ewan McGregor's acting as the ghost writer was superb.

Old 24th June 2010, 18:40   #2291
BHPian

Movies I watched last weekend:

1. Unthinkable (2010): A decent thriller with awesome performance by Samuel Jackson (7/10)
2. Fracture (2007): A good thriller with the veteran Anthony Hopkins, Must watch!
Old 25th June 2010, 18:54   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Anybody watched " Brother, Where art thou' starring George Clooney directed by Coen Brothers?
Yes. have seen some of their work. Dvd's i bought from the Coen stable (all recommended):
Fargo
No Country for old men (one of my favourite movies)
The Big Lebowski (another one of my fav)
Miller's crossing (not as good but still watchable once)
Burn after reading

Looking for a copy of "a serious man", it hasnt made it to india yet.

Somehow their movies arent that popular in India. wonder why.
Old 25th June 2010, 19:08   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Somehow their movies arent that popular in India. wonder why.
Most people in india prefer straight action movies that don't require a lot of thinking or talking. That is the reason the Coen brother's movies are not that popular.
I have watched the following Coen brothers' movies and liked all of them :
Burn After Reading
Fargo
Miller's Crossing
No Country for Old Men .

Fargo was my favourite movie among those followed by No Country for Old Men. Burn After Reading was hilarious.
Old 25th June 2010, 20:29   #2294
BHPian

My personal best Coen Brothers' film is 'Raising Arizona'.
Old 25th June 2010, 22:00   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Saw colors few days back, nice movie.

Colors (1988)

Most Viewed