Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 19:23   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Just don't look for facts in Movies, they are not made for those.
Absolutely, its about programming the public minds away from reality.
Hoping to watch Knight and day tonight if the weather permits.

Thanks @prateekm for the tip on the movie.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 28th June 2010 at 19:24.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:43   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay, the "men" are back.
The movie is totally senseless, with totally outrageous stunts. While XXX sequel bordered on ridiculous, this movie actually carries it out pretty well.
Its not stop action. you are at the edge of the seat, and you actually bond with the cast. Every character is introduced very well, and every character carries off his road with perfection.
The female cast(Biel) is just there for the heck of it.
A must watch
4/5!
+1.
Though the story is absurd still the action is neat.
Same rating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Green Zone: Matt Dillon

an excellent thriller that has dozes of action to satiate the hungry. Its a fiction since i didn't find any title that says 'based on true story' but it works well. Not only well, its awesome.

Its all about controversial post war politics played in Iraq. Cinematography is excellent, this is one movie where hand handled cams is good. The locations feel almost real, as if they are indeed shot in Baghdad. But I doubt it, must be shot in Hollywood studios or in England. But hats off to production designer.

Matt Dillon is super, effective. Director has handled action sequences with aplomb, tension builds superbly and keeps you on tenter hooks.

Good job. A must must watch. Thriller lovers, enjoy. You have your 2 hours worth. Just don't look for facts in Movies, they are not made for those.

5/5
Its not the usual action movie people like. Had a very true to life feeling and quiet high on emotions as well. Quiet a treat.
Rating- 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Law Abiding Citizen: Its a story about how a "law abiding citizen" takes revenge of his wife and daughter's murders when the primary accused is let off with a light punishment. Has its promise but I was a bit disappointed by the ending. 3.5 stars
Same here.
Movie was fantastic but the end was abrupt as just for the sake of ending it. Still worth a watch.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:53   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Caught up with 'Day and Knight' last weekend - typical masala hollywood movie with nice action and chunks of comedy thrown in!
Old 29th June 2010, 00:28   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Caught up with 'Day and Knight' last weekend - typical masala hollywood movie with nice action and chunks of comedy thrown in!

oops goof up - should be 'Knight and Day'
Old 29th June 2010, 01:06   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Well, well, kept ignoring this thread for sometime & finally decided to take a plunge; I'm not rating anything, but some of the awesome movies that I loved & one liner as why I liked it
1. Green Mile - little fiction; Tom Hanks in another master piece
2. Life is Beautiful - Awesome movie to explain Father-Son relationship
3. In Pursuit of Happyness - Will Smith with beautiful Father-Son relationship
4. Rabbit Proof Fence - Fantastic movie on how 3 native aborginals escape from Native settlement to their family & walk 1500 mi back
5. Apocalypto - One of the movie that I can watch anytime; awesome in all aspects from Mel Gibson
6. Last of Mohicans - One touching storyline during the colonial age
7. Dances with Wolves - Simply amazing movie to show how the red Indians were eradicated from the modern world. Another master piece from Kevin Costner
8. The Notebook - Good romantic story told in a little different way
9. Big Fish - Father-Son relation ship

The usual stuffs - Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, The Good/Bad/Ugly, Tears of the Sun, The Departed, No Country for Old men, Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, The God Father
Old 29th June 2010, 03:11   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Sometime this month Cast Away was being Aired on TV. It is one of my favourites but somehow could not bear to see what happens when he meets his old family. changed the channel after that. Hard to believe it is a true story. Who is the original cast away?
Old 29th June 2010, 05:50   #2317
BHPian

Saw the A-Team yesterday.It was nice.Nothing new.Although action lovers like me will love it.
Rating-3.5/5
Old 29th June 2010, 11:07   #2318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Correction: It's Matt Damon, not Dillon. And yes, the movie was good.
Thanks for correcting. I was in daze, didn't realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Absolutely, its about programming the public minds away from reality.
Hoping to watch Knight and day tonight if the weather permits.
I am eager to see Knight and Day too. Hopefully, Cruise-Diaz will rock the screen with their chemistry. Reviews are atleast encouraging.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:29   #2319
BHPian

I am a bit of an English movie buff myself. I have over 1,000 movies at home, starting from the silent era (every Chaplin movie) to the latest ones. I have almost all the old classics one can think of, and some that one may not have seen, such as "African Queen", "The Italian job (1967)", "Some like it hot", "Tobruk", 'The duel", the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes films etc. Tonight I will watch "Bhowani Junction" (Ava Gardner & Stewart Granger).

My curent problem is how to build an Excel database with cross references of movie type (action, comedy etc), main actors and actresses, and director, plus a synopsis of each movie. Working on it, but it takes time ! Any suggestions ?
Old 29th June 2010, 11:48   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Sometime this month Cast Away was being Aired on TV. It is one of my favourites but somehow could not bear to see what happens when he meets his old family. changed the channel after that. Hard to believe it is a true story. Who is the original cast away?
I don't think its based on a true story. It is probably inspired a little from the novel "Robinson Crusoe" .
Old 29th June 2010, 11:50   #2321
BHPian

Watched the movie Shutter Island, awesome performance by Di Caprio. I dont want to explain the movie and spoil it, its a must watch thriller.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:15   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Watched Invictus in HD few days back, Excellent movie. Definitely worth a watch, Morgan Freeman has done amazing work. 4/5

Invictus (2009)
Old 29th June 2010, 14:14   #2323
Senior - BHPian

I watched Kick A$$ and it impressed me. I know it will not suit many people's taste, but I liked it. The acting of the 11 year old was top notch and the action scenes were splendid! Its a different take on the usual super heroes stories that we hear and see.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:03   #2324
BHPian

Checkout some good movies worth watching...

1) Inside Man: A fantastic Bank Robbery plot. Denzel Washington & Clive Owen on opposite sides of Law.
2) Fracture: A great plot successfully executed to murder a cheating wife. Anthony Hopkins at its Best.
3) After the Sunset:The story of what happens after a master thief achieves his last big score. Pierce Brosnan at his best with the awesome lady Salma Hayek.
4) Thomas Crown Affair: A multi millionaire Thomas (Pierce Brosnan) steals a priceless painting from an art gallery and finds out an insurance investigator Rene Russo is onto him.
5) Laws of Attraction: divorce attorneys who are often competing against each other, but end up in a relationship. Pierce Brosnan & Julianne Moore

Some these above are currently playing on the movie channels...don't miss them

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 29th June 2010 at 15:23. Reason: spell check
Old 29th June 2010, 17:22   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I don't think its based on a true story. It is probably inspired a little from the novel "Robinson Crusoe" .
Yeah! Looked up over the internet. It is not clear whether it is on a true story or not, but the ending credit rolls suggested that it is inspired from a true story or based on a true account of a FedEx employee, but what the hell, it will go down as a Tom Hank Classic, actually another classic, after Philadelphia, Forest Gump, Cast Away and many others. What an actor!

Most Viewed