Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 09:48   #2446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Other day, i saw 'Wall Street' on CNBC and am mighty impressed. Is there any movies around similar lines on the financial world ?
Try these:

The Counterfeiters
Glengarry Glen Ross
Old 26th July 2010, 10:21   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Inception - Saturday late afternoon show - went alone!
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:05   #2448
BHPian

Saw inception yesterday.
OMG, whatta movie. I didn't understand anything. So I would go critics way and rate it as 4-star

My all time favorites would be (in no particular order)
Sixth Sense (suspense was jaw dropping)
Shawshank redemption (Morgan Freeman, though protagonist was Tim Robbins)
Mississippi Burning
Reservoir Dogs
Philadelphia
Basic Instinct.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:30   #2449
Senior - BHPian

I know it quite late but I finally watched Marley and Me yesterday night.

I liked the movie but did not love it. The last 20 minutes bought tears to my eyes, specially the scene where everyone pays tribute to Marley in their own sweet little ways.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:57   #2450
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a couple of movies over the weekend

" The Crossing Guard" Starring Jack Nichcolson, Anjelica Houston and David Morse

Its the story of Jack wanting to Kill David for running over his little daughter. Jack waits till David is out of jail and decides to kill him.

However, he is frustrated to note that he is not a bad man and how he fights his frustration and anger to pardon him is the story in a nutshell.

Nice thriller with a bit of emotional drama thrown in. All lead actors played well and Jack always excels in dark themed roles.

3.5/5

"Ninja Assasins" starring South Korean Pop Star " Rain". What a diverse career, music and martial arts

I have always been in awe of Ninjas. They are one of the most sinister fighting machines. In this movie, a bunch of them are hired by industralists/politicians for assasinating rivals.

One of them turns rogue ( in a good way) and rest of them are hell bend in eliminating him.

Great action and superb training sequences make this movie worthwhile for an action buff.

P.S: The star shaped things Ninjas throw at their enemies during fighting sequences is really a dangerous weapon

4/5

Next in line : Angels & Demons. I know i am quite behind but, hows it?
Old 26th July 2010, 15:24   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I know it quite late but I finally watched Marley and Me yesterday night.

I liked the movie but did not love it. The last 20 minutes bought tears to my eyes, specially the scene where everyone pays tribute to Marley in their own sweet little ways.
Same here.
ending is actually very emotional if you are dog lover like me.

@Mobike- I did not like angels and demons.

SALT- No definite story and i still loved seeing it cos of its fast paced action. Jolie is damn good now also. Typical bollywood kind movie in hollywood presentation

Rating-4/5
Old 26th July 2010, 21:19   #2452
Senior - BHPian

People! you got to see Yes Men (not to be confused with Jim Carrey's Yes Man) and The Yes Men Fix the world.

Well this is a docu drama. But those of you who have loved Micheal Moore stuff, you will like them even better. Man! the stunt these people played are awesome. Why I got hung to these people are that they took an issue of Bhopal Tragedy.

What more the latter one is under Wiki media Commons license, and can be freely downloaded and distributed.
Old 26th July 2010, 21:34   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Watched The Pacific, Part 1 and 2. It's like where Band of Brothers have left, the Pacific has started. Tells the story of the Pacific theater through the eyes of few US marines. Part 1 and 2 are about the war at Guadalcanal. Don't miss it when it starts on HBO on May 30. This is going to be on my collection once the Blu-ray is out.
This is a great mini-series. A couple of episodes are dedicated to a lesser known battle in the Pacific theater which served no strategic purpose, but just a waste of lives on both sides. Tom Hanks as the exec producer really knows how to dish out to quality stuff.

While on Tom Hanks, his series 'From The Earth To The Moon' is another great watch. A very good docu-series on the initial USA-USSR race for space supremacy leading to challenges during the earlier Mercury-Gemini-Apollo missions.

* I am an avid Space/War/Sci-Fi enthusiast *
Old 26th July 2010, 22:21   #2454
BHPian

Silence of the Lambs (1991): 4.5/5

It tells the story of FBI trainee (Jodie Foster) who seeks the help of a psychiatrist turned cannibalistic serial killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) to nab another serial killer 'Buffalo Bill' who skins his victims before killing them and dumping their bodies.Hopkins' Dr. Lecter is a hell of one character - fearful, sophisticated, good-mannered, ruthless all at the same time.There wasn't one moment in the movie where I felt bored or wished something had been done differently. 0.5 less than perfect 'coz Dr. Lecter has just about 15 minutes of on-screen time.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:40   #2455
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTwenty View Post
0.5 less than perfect 'coz Dr. Lecter has just about 15 minutes of on-screen time.
I think it's the shortest screen time of any role winning an Oscar.

The final dialog was hilarious - I am having an old friend for breakfast.
Old 26th July 2010, 22:53   #2456
Senior - BHPian

I could never ever see how 'Honeymoon in Vegas' ended. But yesterday I saw it and it was hillarious. Flying Elvises from Utah, oh come on, that was cracking. Then when Jack Nicholas land from the sky dive, the first question after he barely lands is "Are you married" ? wahahahahhahah. Next question after looking at her attire "Did you get a job here"? Man this fellow his done his job to the fullest. His expressions are super.
He lands in Hawaii the taxi driver says 'yeah I know Mr. xyz Hawaii is a small place'
Nicholas:' Oh good I thought I'd have to go through a whole telephone number'. Man he is crazy throught the movie.
I like him the best in 'The Rock'. (Losers whine about giving their best, winners go home and (do stuff to) the prom queen).

I hated him in Face Off.
Old 27th July 2010, 07:47   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I could never ever see how 'Honeymoon in Vegas' ended. But yesterday I saw it and it was hillarious. Flying Elvises from Utah, oh come on, that was cracking. Then when Jack Nicholas land from the sky dive, the first question after he barely lands is "Are you married" ? wahahahahhahah. Next question after looking at her attire "Did you get a job here"? Man this fellow his done his job to the fullest. His expressions are super.
He lands in Hawaii the taxi driver says 'yeah I know Mr. xyz Hawaii is a small place'
Nicholas:' Oh good I thought I'd have to go through a whole telephone number'. Man he is crazy throught the movie.
I like him the best in 'The Rock'. (Losers whine about giving their best, winners go home and (do stuff to) the prom queen).

I hated him in Face Off.
I think you refer to Nicolas Cage
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-154242__honeymoon_l.jpg  

Old 27th July 2010, 16:00   #2458
BHPian

Watched "Brave Heart" for "n"th time on telly and enjoyed it to the core. . .
Old 27th July 2010, 22:48   #2459
Team-BHP Support

Choke (2008)

The movie is Rated R for nudity and language.

Its based on a novel by my favorite author Chuck Palhaunik. It follows the novel very closely and stays pretty much on track. The movie is a little slow unlike the more famous Fight Club.

This is the story of a sex addict. He has no idea about his family except his mother. She is in a mental asylum. He has no money and hence works as a tour guide. In his words he is the back bone of colonial America. As an Irish Indentured servant or something. His mother is dying. She is not eating anything. At the hospital he meets Dr Paige Marshall. Gets convinced he is actually a clone of Jesus Christ. That his mother was impregnated by a relic of Christ. Meanwhile he has a friend. Who is also an addict. But who takes up collecting stones. So that he can build a monument of sorts.
The ending is slightly different from the book. If you are a fan of totally whacked out movies. This is for you. The rest, stay away.

This is nothing like Fight Club.
The movie ends with an awesome quote:
Quote:
We are not born equal sinners, or perfect knock-offs of God. The world tells us whether we're heroes or victims. But, we can decide for ourselves.

Last edited by bblost : 27th July 2010 at 22:49.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:00   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I think you refer to Nicolas Cage
Nicholas Cage. I'm sorry it was a typo. I stand corrected. Jack Nicholas was a superb golfer. Hey maga I am moving to OH for a project (SWAT kind). I'll give you a call then. I'm hurrying up things here.

Most Viewed