Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 18:13   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on how Soccerer's Apperentice is ? Planning to watch this weekend.
Old 12th August 2010, 02:15   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well people not liking 'Inception' is ok - everyone has different taste in movies and what might appeal like a great movie to someone might be just a good movie for others.
In my case, I really do not think 'Titanic' is that great a movie.
But calling 'Inception' as 'pooor and simplistic execution' and 'Matrix without KungFu' certainly does not do justice to the film/director/actors.
Can anyone please provide examples of couple of loop holes in direction/storyline?
You answered you own question my friend. Different people different views.

Though a lot of loop holes. One which i remember on top of my head was the van falling off the bridge for 1+ hour ? really ? When guys were after the van shooting etc the movie & the dreams were going at the same pace but it slows down as soon as they are about to fall off ?

Also please watch Dreamspace and Jacob's Ladder you will understand how much INCEPTION is a rip off! Also IMHO INCEPTION is not Nolans bets work out there.

I would rate INCEPTION a max of 2./5 or maybe a 3/5 as i like Nolan's other work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Any idea on how Soccerer's Apperentice is ? Planning to watch this weekend.
Its an ok movie i would give it a 3/5 for the effort.
Old 12th August 2010, 02:24   #2538
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks. I might go then this weekend.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:02   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
You answered you own question my friend. Different people different views.

Though a lot of loop holes. One which i remember on top of my head was the van falling off the bridge for 1+ hour ? really ? When guys were after the van shooting etc the movie & the dreams were going at the same pace but it slows down as soon as they are about to fall off ?

Also please watch Dreamspace and Jacob's Ladder you will understand how much INCEPTION is a rip off! Also IMHO INCEPTION is not Nolans bets work out there.

I would rate INCEPTION a max of 2./5 or maybe a 3/5 as i like Nolan's other work.

Its an ok movie i would give it a 3/5 for the effort.

It is because during the van falling - we were viewing it from the perspective of the 3rd dream. Atleast thats how I understood it.

And 2/5 for Inception , but 3/5 for sorcerers apprentice?? Cannot agree with you.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:03   #2540
BHPian

Check out the post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2017535-post4267.html

IMO It's relevant even for Hollywood flicks!
Old 12th August 2010, 12:14   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is because during the van falling - we were viewing it from the perspective of the 3rd dream. Atleast thats how I understood it.

And 2/5 for Inception , but 3/5 for sorcerers apprentice?? Cannot agree with you.
3/5 is for the effort. Otherwise i am not really a fan of such movies (harry potter / lord of the rings) but after watching Inception found it entertaining.

I'll give INCEPTION a 3 too but that would only be for the fact that i like NOLAN's work. I have seen Dreamspace and that can be counted as one of the reason for not appreciating INCEPTION.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:30   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. Like they say in the beginning 5 min in the real world is equal to around 1 hour in the dream world and the time keeps increasing as you go deeper into your dreams. That is the reason Leo and his wife could get old in their dreams together while time barely passed in the real world. The time take for the van to fall from the bridge to the water was barely a few seconds but since they were 2 levels inside, it gave them around 20 min.
I agree that Inception is not Nolan's best work ( i would rate it after Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Batman Begins ), but this is hardly a loophole.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:07   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Exactly. Like they say in the beginning 5 min in the real world is equal to around 1 hour in the dream world and the time keeps increasing as you go deeper into your dreams. That is the reason Leo and his wife could get old in their dreams together while time barely passed in the real world. The time take for the van to fall from the bridge to the water was barely a few seconds but since they were 2 levels inside, it gave them around 20 min.
I agree that Inception is not Nolan's best work ( i would rate it after Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Batman Begins ), but this is hardly a loophole.
So when they were in the second dream there was no slow down of time ? Bullets were fired with same pace, van hitting cars and other stuff with same pace but as soon as 3rd dream starts everything slows down ??????
Old 12th August 2010, 13:36   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So when they were in the second dream there was no slow down of time ? Bullets were fired with same pace, van hitting cars and other stuff with same pace but as soon as 3rd dream starts everything slows down ??????
It doesn't actually slow down. It's shown in slow motion so we can understand the relative difference of pace in different levels.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:52   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
The pace doesn't slow down. The car falling down is shown in slow motion . It's just that sometimes we sleep for 5 min but when we actually wake up, we feel like we have been dreaming for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
It doesn't actually slow down. It's shown in slow motion so we can understand the relative difference of pace in different levels.
Correct .
Old 13th August 2010, 01:16   #2546
Senior - BHPian

3 movie review

Holiday time for me and so was the time to catch 3 movies.

Taking Chance:
An all out army movie without any action. Deals with a colnel volunteering to take the body of a Soldier of the US army to his family from the base. It is about the experience and the way peoples behaviour which is a must watch. Brilliant movie and will surely get you in tears a couple of times through the movie

A MUST WATCH

4/5. Nice pace of the movie and details and camera work is really nice

Fever Pitch:
This is a love story of a Red Sox fan and a Drew Barrymore. For people who dont know about the team here is some intro.
Boston Red Sox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for people ignorant about Baseball here is a bit of intro
Baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the guy is a fanatic and the gal initially accepts him but then his passion for the game comes in the way of their life. The way they go about the whole affair is what the movie is roughly based on.

3/5. Is a good fun movie but NOT the best romantic movies i have seen.

Field of Dreams:
One more beautiful baseball movie. Kevin Costner lives on a farm though he does not have passion for it but builds a baseball field as he hears voices telling him to do so. It turns out that legends of the game return to the field in his backyard to play the game. The town considers them insane but they just go ahead listening to these voices.
The lady who plays his wife has done an amazing role and this movie is really nice and touches your heart. Follow what your heart says at times. Because you never know when chance slips out of your hand.

3.5/5. Should catch this movie. Will get a smile on your face
Old 13th August 2010, 06:49   #2547
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Fever Pitch:
This is a love story of a Red Sox fan and a Drew Barrymore. For people who dont know about the team here is some intro.
Boston Red Sox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for people ignorant about Baseball here is a bit of intro
Baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the guy is a fanatic and the gal initially accepts him but then his passion for the game comes in the way of their life. The way they go about the whole affair is what the movie is roughly based on.

3/5. Is a good fun movie but NOT the best romantic movies i have seen.
Copy of the British "Fever Pitch" movie starring Colin Firth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever_Pitch_(1997_film)

Football has been substituted by Baseball & Arsenal has been substituted by Red Sox.

I found the original a little better.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:45   #2548
Senior - BHPian

I watched these in the last 3 days:
1. Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief - I found this quite average. I had watched Clash Of The Titans and I felt many plots were lifted directly from there (such as decapitating Medusa and using her head to petrify villainous beasts who don't die easily). The visual effects were good. Big stars had small screen presence!
2. From Paris With Love: Good action. But the same old theme of terrorism. The twist was good.
3. Hot Tub Time Machine: Nice movie. Watchable only once though. I liked the climax. But I didn't like the excess usage of the F-word :-(

All 3 movies get 3/5 from me.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:42   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Sherlock Holmes" last night.

Like earlier reviews of this movie on this thread, even i was appalled to see the complete character assasination of Sherlock Holmes.

Robert Downey Jr. neither can speak a proper Brit not has the sauve to carry of that role perfectly. Infact, SH that we know is immaculately dressed, clean shaven, non fighting types and not the rowdy, street fighter projection of Robert Downey Jr.

Analogy: Its almost like a major change in character that we see in latest Bond Series, Daniel Craig is that ruthless fighting machine whereas James Bond character was always a very sophisticated one with no blood and gore anywhere

This movie was interesting in parts but, overall didnt like the characterization. I prefer sticking to Jeremy Brett version of Sherlock Holmes, i relate to him much better.

2.5/5
Old 13th August 2010, 12:08   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Sherlock Holmes" last night.

Like earlier reviews of this movie on this thread, even i was appalled to see the complete character assasination of Sherlock Holmes.

Robert Downey Jr. neither can speak a proper Brit not has the sauve to carry of that role perfectly. Infact, SH that we know is immaculately dressed, clean shaven, non fighting types and not the rowdy, street fighter projection of Robert Downey Jr.

Analogy: Its almost like a major change in character that we see in latest Bond Series, Daniel Craig is that ruthless fighting machine whereas James Bond character was always a very sophisticated one with no blood and gore anywhere

This movie was interesting in parts but, overall didnt like the characterization. I prefer sticking to Jeremy Brett version of Sherlock Holmes, i relate to him much better.

2.5/5

Not quite true - Sherlock was always known to take on ragged disguises, conduct experiments in his room and was not really 'immaculately' dressed.
Its the portrayal of Sherlock wearing that mackintosh with a pipe and bowler hat thats not really reflective of his character.
Please read the opening lines of 'The Musgrave Ritual' for Watson's description on Holmes' character.
And yes - holmes is a trained boxer - please read 'The sign of four' and 'Gloria Scott'
This film depicts Holmes very close as described by Conan Doyle himself, and no - I won't consider that a 'character assassination'
And I would rate that film as 4/5.

Last edited by blackasta : 13th August 2010 at 12:10.

Most Viewed