Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 15:15   #2626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
+1, Butler and Heigl shared great chemistry in this movie and looked great together. i liked it a lot. Not the greatest movie, but yes, its lovable
Yes,they both shared a great chemistry.Butler was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
It was one of those few movies I got so irritated with that I did shut it down at the Hotel room scene.
I agree, this scene was a bit bold, specially if you are watching this with your family.Other than that, i second chevelle comments, its a fun movie to watch.

One such scene was in the movie Away We Go as well, starring Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 26th August 2010 at 15:20. Reason: Edit
Old 26th August 2010, 15:15   #2627
BHPian

The Ugly Truth

The movie had nothing extraordinary stuff, but I found it entertaining.
One time watch.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:18   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Memories of a geisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Yes ofcourse! Who can forget Children of Heaven. But seriously, I never knew it was Majidi's film
Was that an English film? I thought it was Iranian....

Saw 'memories of a geisha' yesterday - touching.

It reminded me of the boy in 'Children of Heaven' - the young 'chiyo' reminded me of 'ali' and 'zahara'.... terrific acting by these young ones.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:28   #2629
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Was that an English film? I thought it was Iranian....
Ofcourse it is Iranian. I just didn't know that it was Majidi's film

Oh yeah...hope you know that there is a thread for such masterpieces

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...re-cinema.html
Old 27th August 2010, 17:51   #2630
BHPian

but only marginally. Though we know that background score elevates or destroys the mood of the film we or at least I personally never wanted to purchase an album just for the score. However, while watching the movie "The last Samurai" I liked the background score so much that I got album with the background score of the film. Since then I started paying more attention to the background score in the movies that I watch.

Since it is not possible for me watch every film, I would like to know which of the movies that you watched had great background score that impressed you and which can be listened just for the music, even if some one hasn't watched the movie.

Some movie scores that I liked (I prefer instrumental only) and whose tracks I posses are

The last samurai - Hans Zimmer
Twilght series - Carter Burwell, Alexander Desplat, Howard Shore (Especially Alexandar Desplat's score for New Moon is one of the best that I have come across till date. one can enjoy that even if they know nothing about the movie.)
Red Cliff 1- Taro Iwashiro
Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

There are many other movie themes or scores that I have but they are single tracks. All of them are instrumental only, which I prefer.

Of special mention is Henry Mancini's (The guy who composed the Pink Panther theme) rendering of Love Story theme originally composed by Francis Lai.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:10   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Donnie Darko (2001)

Honestly, this movie has me scratching my head. I am like, its confusing but exciting, its slow still it makes you watch it out of curiosity of what's gonna happen next. This is indeed a thought provoking movie.

Watch it. I am sure you will watch it again or atleast rewind and see what happened before. Better to pay attention from the start. One of the good movies that makes you think.

4/5

Orphan

This is a great mystery/thriller. Superb acting by the leads. The child actors takes the cake though. Awesome twists. Loved it.

I would suggest though, its not a film for kids. It has violence which is disturbing and some dark scenes.

A must watch for fans of this category.

4.5/5
Old 27th August 2010, 18:14   #2632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Oh yeah...hope you know that there is a thread for such masterpieces
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...re-cinema.html
Thanks, JVH. I neck deep into it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
However, while watching the movie "The last Samurai" I liked the background score so much that I got album with the background score of the film. Since then I started paying more attention to the background score in the movies that I watch.
@vamsi.kona, have seen 'The Last Samurai' twice (Tom Cruise is my favourite actor - have you read the write up of him in 'The Times'?); but did not pay much attention to the music. Now that you say, think I have to see - rather listen to it - once more!

BTW, one more film with a child which lingers in mind is the "In pursuit of Happyness" (yes, that's how it was spelt) - touching movie.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:10   #2633
Senior - BHPian

The book of Eli-
Disappointed. One of rare denzel movies i didnt liked at all.
To be honest movie has no solid story.
skip it if you havent seen it.

Rating-2/5

The Tournament-
Story about 30 assasins who have to kill each other in 24 hours.
Fast paced and good time pass.

Rating- 3.5/5

Training day-
I believe denzel won an award for this one. Simply superb in his role.
Its a story about a guy on one day narc training and how things go wrong.
Fast,thrilling and excellent performances.

Rating- 4/5

On a side note i liked The ugly truth. Its funny and a no brainer.
Next on list-
Orphan
donnie darko
harry brown
choke,
dark city

Last edited by harry10 : 27th August 2010 at 20:13.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:28   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

@vamsi.kona, have seen 'The Last Samurai' twice (Tom Cruise is my favourite actor - have you read the write up of him in 'The Times'?); but did not pay much attention to the music. Now that you say, think I have to see - rather listen to it - once more!

Actually you can listen to the score in youtube. And if you have the special DVD that shipped with the movie, there is a feature where the movie comes with narration of Edward Zwick in the background, explaining each and every scene as to what he thought of portraying. This will help you see the movie in a new light and appreciate the characters even more.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 27th August 2010 at 20:29.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:18   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked out " Re-Bound" starring Martin Lawrence.

Its a story of ML who is head coach for a basketball team but, he is more interested in promotions than actual coaching. In addition to this, he has issues related to anger management.

He gets once last chance to coach a team of nerdy kids in a school basketball tournament to redeem himself and what ensues is hilarious.

This movie is not like laugh a minute riot but, will make you chuckle here and there. Essentially, a light hearted movie for a perfect evening.

3/5

P.S: Next in line is "Changing Lanes" starring Ben Afflect and Samuel L.Jackson. This movie was remade in Hindi as "Taxi No.9211". Any reviews?
Old 28th August 2010, 13:18   #2636
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line is "Changing Lanes" starring Ben Afflect and Samuel L.Jackson. This movie was remade in Hindi as "Taxi No.9211". Any reviews?
I liked Changing Lanes. The movie is a little more deep as compared to Taxi 9211, though Taxi 9211 was also decent timepass.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:55   #2637
Senior - BHPian

Wild Target (2010)

A very good movie. perfect combination of Action and Humor. Very good performance by the cast. Its an entertaining film throughout. Very well directed and scripted.

Emily Blunt looks beautiful ably supported by the guy who played Ron in Harry Potter series. Victor - the assassin acts real good.

The jokes are perfectly timed and it has ample dose of action. Its not hard core action but just the perfect for this kind of movie.

Watch it.

4.5/5
Old 28th August 2010, 22:45   #2638
Senior - BHPian

watched an old movie.

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou starring Bill Murray.

I like it very much.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:51   #2639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Donnie Darko (2001)

Honestly, this movie has me scratching my head. I am like, its confusing but exciting, its slow still it makes you watch it out of curiosity of what's gonna happen next. This is indeed a thought provoking movie.

Watch it. I am sure you will watch it again or atleast rewind and see what happened before. Better to pay attention from the start. One of the good movies that makes you think.

4/5
Same thoughts here, watched it twice yesterday to tie the loose ends of my understanding but I'm still confused about few things. TU/PU is seriously playing games with my mind. I'm going to call these type of movies as Muzzles (Movie+Puzzle). Mullholand Dr. had the same effect and so was Memento. Even inception can be added to that category although it's much less confusing than the others.

Quote:
Orphan

This is a great mystery/thriller. Superb acting by the leads. The child actors takes the cake though. Awesome twists. Loved it.

I would suggest though, its not a film for kids. It has violence which is disturbing and some dark scenes.

A must watch for fans of this category.

4.5/5
And guess what this is the movie lined up for my tomorrow's watch . What a coincidence..
Old 29th August 2010, 10:52   #2640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched "Orphan" last evening

Firstly, it's a bit eerie that I see a new actor in a movie that i like and see the same actor/actress in immediate next movie that I catch up.

In this case, Vera Farmiga who was in " Up in the air ( GC girlfriend)" and "Orphan (mom)" as well. It happens often with me, Does this happen with anyone else?

Orphan is the story of a family adopting a girl in their family with already two children. What ensues next is a series of incidents because of this new girl. What a wonderful story and the ghastly reality of what happens if you dont double check credentials before adoption.

I was totally floored by this movie and the surprise element in the last is truly unbeilevable and never was i so surprised by a twist as in this one.

It's much more scarier than any slasher movie that i have seen in recent past. Horror, Pschyological thriller fans, you will absolutely love this movie.

Finally, i had a tough time sleeping last night after watching a scary movie and this does not happen often

5/5
Happened to catch it on your recommendation! Have to say, wasn't dissappointed! The surprise element at the last that you mention ties up all the loose ends!! Great watch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks