Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 15:08   #2956
BHPian

Rat race

Recently watched the funny movie 'Rat race' ( 2001), directed by Jerry Zucker.
It is about the race to get two million dollars. The film reminds me of yet another funny movie, 'It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World ' ( not a copy ) and has a surprising end. A highly recommended film to get relieved from your stress.

Last edited by auto-one : 25th October 2010 at 15:09.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:16   #2957
BHPian

Enemy At The Gates

Saw a rerun of the DVD this weekend for the umptenth time.

5/5. Top notch performances from Jude Law (Vasili), Rachel Weisz (Tania), Ed Harris (German Sniper - Konig), Political officer (Danilov)
Old 25th October 2010, 15:33   #2958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The Assignment (1997)
Added to my queue. Will watch it in couple of days.

Watched " The Reaping" starring Hillary Swank

Its a horror-cum-thriller. Good story and good visual effects.

This story is based on the ten plagues of Egypt described in the Bible, some background knowledge of the Biblical version may make parts of it stand out more so that the audience sees it as more than just "strange events" but is able to connect them to each plague.

Worth a one time watch

3/5

P.S: Next in line " Dead Mary". Another Slasher/horror movie
Old 26th October 2010, 01:25   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Anyways I got a membership of NetFlix so hopefully I should be watching more movies from here on
Alright, So I saw following movies

Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1.jpg

This is a narration by a Vampire on how he became a vampire & his life so far(well almost) to a journalist. It shows the moral dilemma & the difficulties that a new vampire faces. It shows how its not all well in Dracula land.

Great performances by all the actors & it really shows the other side about Vampires. But with so many Vampire Tele series I am not sure if a new watcher would get that intrigued by this story

3.5/5

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-11.jpg

Seriously, Jack Nicholson is made for such movies, he has that charisma to add the mischievousness in roles like these.

This is a story about a new guy in mental hospital who tries to change the rules & also tries to bring about a coup of sorts.

I was told that the Salman Khan starer Kyun Ki is a copy of this movie but frankly only the base theme is same, the characterizations & storyline is quite different. Infact if I have to compare then I would say that I liked Kyun Ki more as I could see the justification of why Salman's character was brought to a mental hospital while in this movie Jack's character looks like just another brash guy who is always on the look out to break rules, there are no signs of any mental illness.

The reviews mentioned that the head Nurse is almost like dictator while except for the last scene nothing else shows this.

Having said that its still a must watch movie with some brilliant performances

3.5/5
Old 26th October 2010, 13:26   #2960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line " Dead Mary". Another Slasher/horror movie
Watched this movie. It stars good looking actors who go for weekend into their cabin in deep woods and start playing a silly game and strange things happen after that.

Movie is a bit slow, acting is lame as most of them are unknown actors

But, it has a few chills here and there. I jumped on my sofa twice

Otherwise, just an average movie

2/5

P.S: Next in Line " The Assignment". Chevelle, hoping this going to tingle my spine with its suspense and thrills as i am a big fan of international espionage.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:21   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Next in Line " The Assignment". Chevelle, hoping this going to tingle my spine with its suspense and thrills as i am a big fan of international espionage.
I am all eyes and ears to know how it goes for you

I hope you like it.
Old 26th October 2010, 20:13   #2962
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing quite a lot about Paranormal Activity. The parking lots are also quite crowded these days for the same movie. Anyone watched this ?
Old 26th October 2010, 20:46   #2963
Team-BHP Support

Go back some 10 - 20 pages. Discussed exclusively and has mixed reviews
Old 26th October 2010, 20:53   #2964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Go back some 10 - 20 pages. Discussed exclusively and has mixed reviews
I think he was talking about Paranormal Activity 2, which was released this week in the US. I've heard that it is better than the first one. This movie is supposed to be a prequel to the original movie.
Old 27th October 2010, 02:57   #2965
BHPian

Just saw this movie '9' and is a very good animation movie,( a movie with some real meaning and a good story line). 9 is a character who wakes up after the war between humans and machines is over, however in his quest of fidling around he wakes up the machine brain and therein the adventure starts.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-9_foreign_movie_poster.jpg

I would say this maybe one of those animation movies which i would not suggest for kids, Because its dark and some high level stuff going on in it.

P.S. : Just saw Knockout and phonebooth back to back, and concluded that 80-90% of Indian directors have "miles to go before they sleep!"
The sheer sound of the sniper rifle loading sent chills in my spine(same in knockout,I did not even notice untill Irfan told so);Hats off to Colin Farell , he pulled the whole movie single handedly with awesome acting.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:52   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am all eyes and ears to know how it goes for you

I hope you like it.
Here you go. My review below :-

Watched " The Assignment (1997)" starring Aidan Quinn, Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley.

Its an espionage thriller based on the popular real terrorist Carlos " The Jackal" Ramirez

As mentioned by Chevelle, its a gripping story with a nice storyline and decent acting by Aidan Quinn.

I was not too impressed with Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley who havent put up a performance according to their standards. Infact, I like Donald's acting but, the way he convinces Annibal is totally "Lame"

Everything is fine expect the production values were not up to standards of say ( Bourne Identity) though this is a much earlier film.

Whereas, the movie that came later on the same subject ( starring Bruce Willis and Richard Gere) was not as good as this one but was slicker. Also, there were quite a few references to the Jackal in second movie of Bourne Series ( Supremacy)

Overall, its a great time pass thriller movie but, no patch to the book " The day of the Jackal " by Fredrick Forsyth. Sorry, i am book lover first

4/5 ( 0.5 less due to the color tone and not so great looking production output)
Old 27th October 2010, 17:20   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think he was talking about Paranormal Activity 2, which was released this week in the US. I've heard that it is better than the first one. This movie is supposed to be a prequel to the original movie.
Ohho. I was in US last year around this time when the first one came out and i went to the cinema hall to watch it. Had some trouble sleeping for some days after that.
Now, again i am going to be in US in a couple of weeks. And most probably, i will have to go see it in theater again.
Old 27th October 2010, 18:41   #2968
BHPian

Watched "Kungfu Kid" ( or was it "Karate Kid" ) this week. The movie follows the same storyline as most of the martial arts movies where there is the good guy, the bad guy who uses Kungfu in the wrong way and finally after training a lot, the good guy wins over the bad guys. Only difference here is that all of them are kids and the good kid has recently moved from the US to China.
Will Smith's kid , who plays the title role seriously needs to get some acting lessons if he wants to sustain his career without his father's support. The best thing about the movie was Jackie Chan's role as the mentor. Otherwise, there isn't much to see here.

Next in line, the sequel to the horror movie "30 Days of Night" . This one is called "30 Days of Night : Dark Days" . I thought the first movie was decent, so am hoping this one is atleast as good as that movie.
Old 27th October 2010, 19:20   #2969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Had some trouble sleeping for some days after that.
which version did you land up with in theater's ? not trying to reveal the suspense, but i know that it had 3 different climaxes, the one i saw wasn't that great on DVD. (the other two were scary it seems)

PN2 seems to be drawing crowds, and i am going in this weekend.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 27th October 2010 at 19:21.
Old 28th October 2010, 05:35   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go. My review below :-

Watched " The Assignment (1997)" starring Aidan Quinn, Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley.

I was not too impressed with Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley who havent put up a performance according to their standards. Infact, I like Donald's acting but, the way he convinces Annibal is totally "Lame"

Everything is fine expect the production values were not up to standards of say ( Bourne Identity) though this is a much earlier film.

Overall, its a great time pass thriller movie but, no patch to the book " The day of the Jackal " by Fredrick Forsyth. Sorry, i am book lover first

4/5 ( 0.5 less due to the color tone and not so great looking production output)
I loved the book. it was excellent. i read it probably 7yrs + back.

I felt Ben Kingsley was short charged. Had a very small role and didn't demand histrionics.

I still can't make up my mind who was at the end. The Jackal or The Naval officer. I guess it will remain a mystery for me, unless you can clear it up for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks